The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
grisbald

.45 ACP Large & Small Primers

I've been loading .45 ACP with large primers, but I have been accumulating small primer pocket brass lately. Will using the same powder weight I use in the large primer pocket brass cause any issues?
Old June 27, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Adamantium

I haven't had an issue but I did work my load back up from 90% for my small primer brass.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
4runnerman

Ditto here too.Started 10% down and ended right back where i was with large primers.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I found they worked the same for me. I just finished loading all the small primer cases I have today.

It is possible there could be some small problems with some powders. That is a good reason to work the load back up to see if there might be a problem with your powder.

I'm using WST powder and got the same results with small or large primers.
Old June 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #5
dcobler

Small Primers

So whats the deal? Did the manufacturers just want to make it harder to reload their brass or what?

Also, can you use regular small pistol primers or are they special primers? The reason I ask is that a salesman somewhere mentioned that the smaller .45 primers are hotter than regular primers and I was wondering if there was any truth to that.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Adamantium

No they use regular small pistol primers. All the small primer 45acp brass started out as ammo marketed towards indoor ranges. I don't know what difference it makes but it's not like I need to as a reloader.

Last edited by Adamantium; June 28, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
dcobler

It didn't seem right when he told me that anyways and the guy didn't even reload so I just filled it in the back of my mind.

I have more .45 brass with large primer pockets laying around than I do of bullets to fill them so I haven't even began to worry about running out of brass yet.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
joneb

Quote:
So whats the deal? Did the manufacturers just want to make it harder to reload their brass or what?
Non-toxic large primers did not go well in 45acp but NT small primers did.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:45 AM   #9
excelerater

I toss my small primer cases usually but why the 2 versions SP and LP ?
Old June 28, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
jcwit

I really like the small primer pocket cases. I reload them with small rifle primers which I have 10's of thousands of simply because I bought out a closeout from a sporting goods store going out of business for less than $50.00 a sleeve. Being as I do not load anywhere near max loads to begin with I just used my normal powder charge without working up a new load.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:46 AM   #11
snuffy

Non-toxic/lead free ammunition are ONLY made with small primers. The NT primer compound that makes the flame is much more of an explosive, meaning it has much higher pressure in the primer pocket. Large NT primers would actually back out and sometimes fall clear of shells primed with them. To combat that, they actually made the flash hole larger. It was that or crimp the primers in.

It actually makes sense, the ammo companies only have to produce and stock one primer size in quantity.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 28, 2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Lemmon

Don't throw away the small primer 45's

It would be nice to be able to load all my pistol brass with one primer. When I first stated reloading and did not shoot 45ACP I would chunck the 45 brass out of my way. I wish now that I had kept it for later use.... I now love the 45ACP and will keep both the large and small primer brass and wait till I have a large supply and load them up. Small primer 45ACP most likely will become the norm as the Large Primer brass disappears. I do chunck the steel stuff.

Lemmon
Old June 28, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

The main advantage of the small primer for me is when I switch from 9 mm to .45. I don't have to also change the primers. I like simple. I will probably just get another press for large primer loads in a month or two. One press for small primers and another for large.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
dsb1829

No difference in load for me. I hear a lot of seasoned reloaders bag on it, but more and more factory ammo is coming with spp. Only issue with it is sorting it from the rest. Personally I find it less evil than crimped lpp.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
BDS-THR

I use the same powder/charge as the LP primer loads and I can't really tell the difference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45primer3.jpg (56.8 KB, 257 views)
Old June 28, 2012, 09:46 PM   #16
joneb

During a primer shortage it would be good to have both kinds of brass ready to load. I have been saving the 45acp sp brass but have not reloaded any yet.
The primer is a variable in reloading so maybe less is more, the 454 Casull uses small rifle primers so I am opposed to sp 45acp brass.

Last edited by joneb; June 28, 2012 at 09:53 PM.