The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1
gopokes

357 sig bullets

Heys guys looking for some bullets for my Glock 357 sig. I searched threads but didn't want to dig up any 2 year old threads.

Anyways, as far as bullets: Montana Gold vs Berry's vs. Rainier vs. Xtreme (formerly West Coast)

What would you guys suggest?
Old June 22, 2012, 11:49 AM   #2
NWPilgrim

The main thing about .357 bullets is to get one that does NOT have the long tapered ogive of the typical 9mm FMJ. They may not be able to be seated far enough out for the straight sides of the bullet to meet the case mouth. That is, a long taper will result in a bullet that has the taper seated below the case mouth.

I bought a bunch of the Berry's 9mm 124 gr HP that should be perfect for the .357 SIG as it has a long straight sides and blunt ogive. In fact it is so blunt that I have to seat them extra deep in 9mm Luger in order to chamber smoothly. What is adverse in the 9mm Luger should be perfect for the .357 SIG.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old June 22, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
BigJimP

I would rank the quality of the bullet...from your list as :

# 1 Montana Gold - a very good jacketed bullet / very high quality

# 2 Berry's ( but its plated / good heavy plating - but not jacketed) - Berry's web site says do not push them past 1200 fps...and that's easy to do in .357 sig...so I would rule out Berry's based on velocity that you probably want.

and I wouldn't push any plated bullet past 1200 fps...in general ...but

a distant 3rd ....Rainier ...thin plating / and very inconsistent...I've seen some that varied as much as minus 3 - 5 grains in a 230 bullet...and as high a plus 2 grains.../ I think they're electro plated...so I think its very difficult for them to get the coatings real consistent..

a very distant 4th ... X Treme ....I found them more inconsistent than Rainier.
Old June 22, 2012, 07:21 PM   #4
vladan

I had great result with Montana Gold in .357sig ( their 125gr .357sig FMJ bullet). Berrys and other plated bullets are not good for .357sig velocities. I trier berrys flat point TC bullets and they were ok for light and downloaded loads, but once I started approaching .357sig levels they started loosing accuracy real fast.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use Montana Gold 125s in 357sig and 180s in 10mm. They are very good bullets.
Old June 22, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
snuffy

Guys, it's 357 sig, not .357. The 357 sig actually uses .355/6 bullets, IOW 9mm bullets.

But they must be a truncated cone bullet. A sharp taper to a full diameter shank. Hornady 124 xtp is a very good choice, as is the 125 HAP bullet.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 22, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Scimmia

Quote:
Guys, it's 357 sig, not .357. The 357 sig actually uses .355/6 bullets, IOW 9mm bullets.
If you want to get technical, it's 357 SIG, not 357 sig. SIG is an acronym and therefor should be capitalized.

Old June 22, 2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, SIG Sauer lists it as .357SIG.

If anyone should know, it's them.

But, no, we don't want to get technical. Everybody knows what we're talking about. It's a distinction without a difference.

Let's stick with answering the question.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:24 AM   #9
gopokes

Thanks for the help guys. Put in my order for MGs. Appreciate the input. You guys on here sure have been alot of help
Old June 28, 2012, 10:36 AM   #10
snuffy

Quote:
Actually, SIG Sauer lists it as .357SIG.

If anyone should know, it's them.

But, no, we don't want to get technical. Everybody knows what we're talking about. It's a distinction without a difference.

Let's stick with answering the question.
Ummmmmmmm, okay I'll cease pointing out the discrepancy of the actual measurement of a 357 S.I.G. bullet. Wouldn't want to anger the corporate giant sig/sauer or is it sour?

But there IS a difference. Try loading a .357 bullet in a 357 S.I.G. shell, see how far you get. Even IF it chambers, you'll get sky high pressures trying to squeeze that fat bullet down that barrel.

Forgive me for getting technical, I was simply trying to keep somebody from having a really bad experience.

BTW, what does S.I.G. stand for?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Scimmia

Quote:
BTW, what does S.I.G. stand for?
Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer
Old June 28, 2012, 11:39 AM   #12
vladan

Quote:
But there IS a difference. Try loading a .357 bullet in a 357 S.I.G. shell, see how far you get. Even IF it chambers, you'll get sky high pressures trying to squeeze that fat bullet down that barrel.

Forgive me for getting technical, I was simply trying to keep somebody from having a really bad experience.
I suppose there is nothing wrong with word of caution ... however, I don't suppose you have tried this so you can talk from experience, did you?

Because I did just that, tried to use actual .357 bullets ( as .357 diameter ) in .357sig rounds and it turned out that .002 difference between .355 (9mm) bullets and .357 (.357Mag) bullets is not that big deal.

Here is my thread : http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405689

I actually went a little above (!) max charge of AA9 to see if I can get pressure signs but I started getting compressed loads and powder kept pushing bullet out of the shell.
Now, I don't recommend anyone just blindly swap the 9mm bullet for .357 one but the load should be worked up for individual gun.
The cannelured .357 bullets turned out have one big advantage - the cannelure help with the crimp so there is no problem with neck tension and bullet setback that is common with this round, especially when using powder that don't fully fill the case.