The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2020, 03:21 PM   #1
9mm

Yugo M70AB2 Vs Zastava m70ab2? Bought wrong one?

Hello, I ordered a "YUGO M70AB2" from Atlantic firearms which hasn't shipped yet BUT, the pictures show its a "ZASTAVA".

I researched online and found there is YUGO'S and ZASTAVA'S. I heard different stories and if you get a Yugo if its a D.C made its great. I can't find much info on ZASTAVA'S expect they are older, demiled full autos and have safety lever problems?

I am confused which model I will be getting.
Can someone please clarify?
Old March 31, 2020, 03:55 PM   #2
L-2

I can guess, but you've provided to weblinks as to what you're talking about.
"Yugo" generally refers to the country of origin (aka Serbia) of the AK's receiver.
"Zastava" is the usually the maker of the Yugo receivers.

I believe the current Yugo AK47 firearms being sold by Atlantic were converted by Century Arms:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...x-787450596801

Century Arms often is criticized for questionable quality on some of its AK offerings, but I believe its Yugo AK47 guns were generally good (I've got one).

There were/are some Yugo AK47 guns being imported/converted by a newer company called Zastava Arms USA. These guns are/were on the market but may be currently out of stock at many places:
https://zastavaarmsusa.com/products/aks/

Let us know how you like your new AK when you get it and give us a brief review.
Old March 31, 2020, 04:20 PM   #3
9mm

That's the link, if you zoom in on the photo its stamped Zastava on the side.
While googling YUGO m70ab2, the logo will say CIA instead of Zastava.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I always wanted the CIA Yugo, remmeber seeing it back in 2008 for $750 at a local shop. I never got one until now??? Either a CIA or Zastava.
Old March 31, 2020, 07:44 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

Century doesn't make Yugo AKs from kits anymore. What you have is more than likely a Zastava made gun imported by Century. All Century does to the gun is add 922R compliance parts and convert the mag well to accept double stack mags.

Within the year, Zastava now imports their own guns and does everything themselves.

I own a Zastava M70NPAP imported by Century and it is a fine gun. 2k rounds through it so far with no issues.
Old April 1, 2020, 05:33 AM   #5
Greguw

Century was not know for the quality but the early Yugo M70’s were a great rifle . I still have a couple , they were a great deal at under $500 bucks back in the day .
Old April 1, 2020, 10:17 AM   #6
44caliberkid

I have a Zastava N-PAP and it's a fine rifle. No problems.
Old April 3, 2020, 05:01 PM   #7
9mm

Okay so nothing matched the internet or pictures on Atlantic firearms.

It is a yugo in 1982 parts?, itsays CIA under the magazine port, not on the dust cover how it was advertized on website.

Also does anyone know how to fold the stock butt plate? The instructions didnt list it nor any basic info online.
Old April 3, 2020, 09:26 PM   #8
highpower3006

The stock just unfolds. It was, after all, designed to be used by illiterate peasants so you can be sure it's not all that complicated.

I think you are getting yourself confused over some simple terminology.

When Yugoslavia disintegrated after their communist leader Tito died, they broke apart into several different countries, one of which is called Serbia. Zastava was the state arms factory for Yugoslavia and is now located in Serbia.

In the past Century bought up a bunch of M70 kits and had DC Industries assemble them. Some of the receivers were made by NDS and others were made by DC industries. Both are considered to be decent receivers and the guns they built are well thought of in AK circles.

The gun in the picture on Atlantic's website is not a Century conversion as the receiver says "Zastava Yugoslavia". That means that the trunnion was made before the breakup of Yugoslavia and in fact it is dated 1985. It is clearly a kit build and it even says so in the description. I don't have any information on who built it or made the receiver.

Instead of asking a bunch of random people on the internet, why don't you call Atlantic and ask them who built that rifle? I seem to remember that Atlantic is having AK's built from kits on their own receivers and if they are, you can pretty much be sure that they are a quality rifle as they have a stellar reputation as a solid company with great customer service.

I have had one of the DC Industries built M70AB2t underfolders for many years now and it has had a buttload of rounds through it with zero issues. Even though I have several pre ban AK's and a few other newer ones also, I always seem to grab that M70 when I go shooting.

Last edited by highpower3006; April 3, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old April 4, 2020, 12:45 AM   #9
Ignition Override

Note:
AKs imported by Century, with few exceptions, always have high quality, chf/cold hammer-forged barrels, milspec trunnions, bolt carriers and bolts.

AKs "designed" for >>US production<< by Century's outsourced companies have lower-grade steel in one or more components of the action, even the barrels in the RAS.
Old April 4, 2020, 07:04 PM   #10
HistoryJunky

Here are some pictures of the markings on my N-PAP. If yours are the same, that's probably what it is. It should say N-PAP on the serial number as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 6, 2020, 01:42 PM   #11
Greguw

Here is one of my Yugo M70 all matching blued ... matching parts kits are going for stupid prices .
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F2D3B8DE-AA86-4962-AC03-50453C28E8FE.jpeg (186.1 KB, 72 views)
Old April 6, 2020, 05:28 PM   #12
Ignition Override

All of you guys have some Very appealing Serbian, or "Yugo" AKMs.

A former Marine infantry soldier who served in Iraq was working night security at the downtown Tallahassee FL Sheraton hotel about five or six years ago.
My ATL-based crew had a scheduled hotel layover there. Chatted with the guy two/three different times.

He told me that (possibly due to excessive wear, resulting from "tight" USMC budgets?) some Marine rifles were unreliable in skirmishes just After being nsition into AKs a few years ago, noboy offered any M70s on Armslist TN (west TN), or in gun shops.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 6, 2020 at 11:34 PM.