The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 23, 2020, 10:32 AM   #26
jmr40

Well, they do get a lot of practice.

Not that I don't like Ruger, I own many of their rifles and handguns. But I've had way more issues that they had to address than from all other manufacturers combined. Way more.

I had to return one pistol to S&W over 20 years ago. It took a couple of tries, but they replaced the gun with a new one. I've lost count of how many times I've had to contact Ruger CS. But to their credit, they do make it right.

It seems like their approach is build them and get them out the door ASAP and let the customer do the final inspection and product testing. Who knows, it may well be cheaper in the long run for them to do it this way.

Winston Churchill
Old April 2, 2020, 02:01 AM   #27
veprdude

Bought a pawn shop Ruger SR1911. Jamm-o-matic. Sent it back. They sent me a new SR1911 because the frame was out of spec.

Bought a Super Redhawk 454 Casull at a gun show. Light primer strikes. Sent it back. Previous owner installed a trigger kit. They swapped the parts with OEM Ruger stuff. 100% fires every time. Sent trigger springs back in a bag with the revolver.

Ruger is not my first choice in a gun company for differing reasons but their customer service is great. Most of their stuff is boringly reliable. And so is their CS.
Old April 3, 2020, 04:59 AM   #28
Kreyzhorse

Totally forgot, but my friend had a SR 9 that would drop the magazine constantly. He called, and if I remember, was told he had to press the mag release button in when inserted a mag and that would fix the problem.

He did as instructed, but that didn't fix it. Second call and Ruger returned the gun and up graded parts. It did come back with instructions that he had to press the mag release button before inserting the mag.

The gun did come back with two extra magazines.

Must have been a known design flaw with the early SR9s. Either way, they took care of him too.
Old April 3, 2020, 07:04 AM   #29
agtman

Quote:
One thing that sets them apart is that they guarantee the gun forever, whether or not you're the original owner. Imo, their CS is their biggest asset.
Quote:
Ruger doesn't have any written warranty. They said it was because of the differing laws in different states. They don't have a written warranty but they simply fix them. Their lack of a warranty is better than a written warranty.
So what it really is, is an unwritten 'lifetime' warranty that follows the gun, not the owner.