The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 27, 2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Linegrind

Truck holster

So first off apologies if this is in the wrong location but I've been toying with the idea of mounting a holster in my truck somewhere for my G45.

I have 2014 LTZ Z71 so it has that fake weird leather interior everywhere. I'd rather not drill into that if I didn't have too. I'm also left handed so the center console isn't convenient unless it's more so as an extended clumsy cross draw. I usually just carry it on myself but drawing seated and being a fat guy isn't as slick as you'd want.

My goal is mostly just to alleviate the need to wear the gun on longer drives and still be armed if need be.

I was thinking about maybe attaching a holster to the front of my seat and drilling into the plastic there and maybe adding a backing to stiffen it up.

Worst case scenario I just leave the gun on my hip or in my center console like I usually do. Just seeking ideas on something more convenient and accessible.

Also debated maybe mounting it to the door itself but seemed dumb if somebody were to open the door on me when I parked or something and then my gun would go out of reach and be easier for the attacker to access.

Realistically I'll never need it but I think this is fun and interesting at least. Especially because I'm left handed and that's a tedious variable to overcome.
Old March 27, 2020, 02:19 PM   #2
bjw741

Have you thought about a gun magnet under the dash.

Here's an example video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE20TnxpchY
Old March 27, 2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Linegrind

I have and I felt like the adhesive ones wouldn't last long and The drilling into the fake leather didn't appeal to me. If I had just plastics for my interior this would of been super easy to figure out. Worst case scenario I just drill into the soft and squishy stuff.
Old March 27, 2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Will this work in your truck? Clamp on, no drilling.
https://www.gungoddess.com/products/...-holster-mount
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 28, 2020, 06:44 AM   #5
Linegrind

I think that steering column setup would work, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't. I looked at my steering column and couldn't find anything that would get in the way yet.

Right now I'm thinking about the Alien gear holster that straps to the seat or maybe just drilling into the plastic piece under my steering column despite it being really visible and close to my knees.

Kinda wish I was right handed. Drilling into the inside of the center console I'd have less qualms about.

I was thinking about the magnets again and I just don't like the idea of my gun eventually getting magnetized. I feel like the tiny metal particles it would pic up would be a long term annoyance.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:32 AM   #6
URIT

I'd be checking out a FAS1 safe for my center console.
Old March 30, 2020, 05:53 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Bianchi, maybe, made a holster than wrapped around your seat bottom with a strap. It would secure the holster to the seat from allowing easy access to the gun yet keep it out of the way without modifying your vehicle.

Not sure if they still make it, but it's work a google. My buddy used one for years and loved it.
Old April 1, 2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Linegrind

My complaint with the ones the strap around the seat is that I'm a big guy. 6'1" and 280lbs. So drawing a gun from between my legs would be tough to do without muzzling myself. I've never been shot at so no idea how I'll react. Worst case scenario is I shoot my leg though under stress.

Also not a fan of a gun safe in my truck. At least not for defensive purposes. I might get one in the future for when I need to leave the truck unattended somewhere I can't bring my gun inside like the court house.

I decided to go with a Dara holster and I'm either going to mount it in the 1 plastic panel that's under my steering wheel or to the seat plastic and stiffen it with a piece of wood.

If I remember too I'll post pictures whenever it comes of what I decided to do. I figure this holster comes with RAM mount stuff so modifying it would be really easy if I went that route.
Old April 1, 2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

Giving some thought to your situation in light of this:
Quote:
I'm also left handed
I have to wonder how effectively you would be able to defend against someone at your driver side door in the first place.
Considering you would most likely be confronted by a car jacker from that position.
I would suggest some weak side practice, and possibly going with something in, or on the consoel, or as I do, inbetween my seat and the console. That location also opens the possibility of diversion as you can say you are releasing your seatbelt as you are actually reaching for your firearm. Of course being alert to situations around you, rather than relying on a last minute quick deployment is far better. It's still a thought.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!