The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
VegaSSG32

Scope rings

Need help with a scope ring set up... I have a remington 700 SPS AAC with a +20 MOA Weaver Rail, Scope is a Vortex PST 6x24x50mm MRAD. Right now i have Vortex rings (HIGH). After i zeroed at 100yrds i didnt have enough elevation to dope a 1000 yard shot... As of now with the high rings the scope has about 3/4'' clearanceoff the barrel, (i do understand the lower to the barrel the better but i am a rookie) will going with lower rings get me more elevation??? if so, how low can i go with this set up, Can i use Low rings or Medium???

Any advice would be appreciated...
Old April 25, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
zoomie

Get a 30 MOA base or a lower magnification scope (which will have more elevation). Rings won't fix your problem. You might want lower rings, still, but ring height should be dictated by cheek weld and eye alignment, not dial-able range.
Old April 25, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
hoghunting

You could also try the Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset insert kit as the polymer inserts will give you the elevation you need. The Signature Zee rings are made for the Weaver type base.
Old April 26, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
SSA

If you have a 50mm objective on a bolt action, and you have .75" clearance, you are using rings made for use on an AR. There are plenty of rings that are .5" or .6" lower.
That won't help you get to 1000 yards.
Would need more information to say any more.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:43 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

I've had experience with the plastic inserts on the Burris product, and I think they serve a very useful purpose. Two thumbs up with those that I've used.