The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 4, 2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Joshua 2415

Refinish Double Barrel

I dropped my nice Beretta Silverhawk side-by-side, and put a couple of scratches and dings on the barrel. Any suggestions on where I can send the barrel for refinishing, and maybe a ballpark estimate of what it will likely cost?

Old May 5, 2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Beretta, maybe. I don't know if they have a real US shop but you should find out.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:19 PM   #3
FITASC

NOT Beretta.

Call Briley; look local depending on what state you are in. Any decent smith should be able to do cosmetic fixing. How bad is the damage? It might cost more than the gun is worth, depending on what it is
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 5, 2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Joshua 2415

Why not Beretta? Too costly, poor quality, buy American, or what?

How bad is the damage? Some small dings on each of the barrels, and a nice little scuff at the muzzle. Doesn't effect the function, of course, and its nothing that I would worry about on an older shotgun, but I've only had this for a little while, and it's what I consider my primary "nice" shotgun... Beretta Silverhawk. Not high end in the minds of some, but it's high end for me. I don't like it being scuffed up.
Old May 6, 2018, 06:50 AM   #5
FITASC

CS sucks with Beretta; take too long, charge too much. If it is just cosmetic, a good local guy should be able to handle it. Otherwise, folks like Briley in Houston (among others) are noted for top-notch work and service
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 7, 2018, 12:18 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...dings on the barrel..." As in dented steel? Where you are matters. You need a SxS shotgun guy, not just any smithy.
The Beretta Silverhawk doesn't appear on their site by name or number. So I'm guessing it's no longer under warrantee. No mention of barrels being available either. However, Midwest Gunworks says they have parts for a Silverhawk, so they may be worth talking to. They show hydraulic dent raising as one of the things they do. No price given, so I suspect it varies by the dent.
Old May 7, 2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Joshua 2415

I'm not noticing any denting of the barrel, just dings and scuffing. Hopefully a re-bluing job will take care of it. After speaking with a few companies, I'll probably go with Precision Bluing, unless somebody sees a problem with that avenue that I don't know about.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Are you going to have it reblued every time it gets a scratch?
Old May 7, 2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Joshua 2415

Probably.

Naaahhh, not really...but, these are a little more than your routine scratches.

Last edited by Joshua 2415; May 7, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:03 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

You might try doing some buffing/polishing on your own and using cold blue to touch it up. (follow instructions carefully)

Sometimes it can come out looking really good, and, if not, well, you were gong to have it reblued anyway, right??
Old May 7, 2018, 10:19 PM   #11
Joshua 2415

I've tried the Do it Yourself thing on some other guns in the past, and was never particularly impressed with my workmanship. This Beretta is my favorite gun, and I'd rather pay somebody to be sure it's done right.

There's an old adage, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Well, not in my case.

Old June 3, 2018, 11:29 PM   #12
dakota.potts

The way I see it, you have three options.

1: Buff out the area, degrease, heat slightly with a heat gun, and apply Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to see if you can get it to blend. Any goodsmith should do this if you're not comfortable.

2: Send it off for what's likely to be a very expensive process. If the barrels are soldered together or the rib soldered on, there's a chance the solder will dissolve. For this reason many smiths won't hot blue double guns at all and will only do a slow rust blue process. I don't know if the Silver Hawk is one of those or not - I am not very well versed on the specifics of shotgun work

I would see $200-300 being typical for a hot blue job and $400+ for slow rust bluing. More if they decide they need to strip the finish and hand polish it again. And then there's no guarantee that it matches the blue now. Examples from Google Images appear to have a semi-satin rust blue finish but that's just a guess on my part.

3: Live with it, oil the spot, and be more careful if you're worried about cosmetic damages.
Old June 4, 2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Jim Watson

If soft soldered, it will have to be rust blued, $500 at Briley's.
If hard soldered - and Briley should know - $400 for hot blue.
Old June 4, 2018, 07:04 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you want a consistent blue, the entire barrel set needs to be polished. Are the barrels dented inward or just dinged? Dents have to be raised. You can only polish so much out of a ding.

Can you strip it down to the barrels and barrel ribs alone? I cant get them hot salt blued.
Old June 5, 2018, 01:23 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

He said no dents. His use of the word "ding", which I associate with dents, is what causes the confusion. It sounds like he actually has only scuffing and scratches.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 5, 2018, 08:47 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Easy-peasy (even dent removal isn't hard with the tool).