The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Mossberg 930 POS or is it okay?

Based on the price I am really looking at a Mossberg 930.

Is it a POS or is it worth buying?

What problems have you had with them?

How dirty do they get, and how many rounds can you fire before they are so dirty it starts to jam?

George Orwell
Old December 15, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
4thPointofContact

I have a 930 SPX, I'm convinced that it's reliable and that the extras included with it are worth far more than the upcharge over the regular 930 model.

So far, mine has had only the initial cleaning and has had right around 200 rounds through it with no cleaning. It shoots full strength loads with no problems, but I did have a stovepipe (1) last weekend with a reduced recoil Fiocchi buckshot. Later it went through 20 rounds of reduced recoil slug without problems so it may have been circumstantial.

I have only seen one drawback to the 930 so far and that depends on what someone wishes to do with it. As the 930 carries the recoil spring in the buttstock, folding stocks are pretty much out of the question and a reduced length of pull stock is limited to about a 1-1.5 inch reduction. (I haven't tried reducing the LOP on mine yet, but I'm in the process of investigating just how much it could be done.)

There's a fairly good review here 930 SPX review . It was one of the primary reasons for my purchasing one.

Last edited by 4thPointofContact; December 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:21 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I don't think anything Mossberg makes is a POS. I actually don't even own one any longer. My preferences are Remington and Berreta. Just my opinion based on what I like and want as far as fit and finish. There certainly is no reason NOT to get a Mossberg, especially if your budget dictates one.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Smitty in CT

I have gone over 500 rounds without cleaning....

Supposedly Mossberg is coming out with an adjustable LOP stock fot the 930...

Supposed to be out something next year.... rumor had it they were calling it the POS, for "position"... I hope they change the name... in my world POS means something completely different.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old December 15, 2008, 10:44 PM   #5
JonnyReb

A buddy of mine has one and loves it. Best part of all is no o-rings. Every review i've seen has been positive,

All mossburgs are good guns at good prices imo. J.R.
Old December 31, 2008, 04:31 PM   #6
kennywiz

If anyone plans to purchase a 930 SPX, BE AWARE that a good number have left the factory with the front sight clocked to the left a few degrees. It is enough to notice. Mossberg will repair but you have to ship the gun back and wait.

I was unlucky and didn't check the other boards for this known issue.

Also...

Get it home, take it down, clean it, and lube it liberally. Reassemble, sit down with it, open the bolt and let it slam home a few hundred times. Take it back down, clean, and lubricate. It now is ready for use.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Warthog

Love mine so far. About 500 rounds of various loads with no problems.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8
.351winchester

Quote:
and that the extras included with it are worth far more than the upcharge over the regular 930 model.
Definately, especially when the other weapons of its type like the FN SLP and Wilson TR-1187 are more than double the price, and you get reliability and a tang safety that ruins you for other types once you've spent enough time with one. The LPA's, rail, and mag extension alone would be far more money purchased seperately. I've never held a shotgun with a better fit and feel than the SPX, including the plain HS model. Love at first sight (I never considered an auto SG trustworthy enough for SD, but after all the great reviews and mag dump videos...), been on my shopping list for a year and a half, maybe with my tax return I can have her under the bed.