The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2018, 02:37 PM   #1
jmorris

Automated brass sorter by weight

I haven’t had much time to play with this, built the electronics part, did the programming and threw together the mechanical parts months ago.

It’s still a long way from being a finished product but it’s also one of those projects that can get lost do to “life getting in the way” if I don’t see some sort of progress.

The idea is to begin the sort by a 10 grain differential with those dropping into one of 10 bins, then take all from a single bin and change the resolution to 1 grain differential, then take all from a single bin and change to .1 grain resolution.

So in the end you can have brass sorted to the tenth of a grain without having to touch a single case.

Proof of concept and hopefully enough inspiration to finish it out when it cools off outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V_H...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by jmorris; August 18, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old August 18, 2018, 04:27 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

That's great! I'd have probably run them down a straight line and let air knock them down the appropriate chute, but that turning nozzle is way more fun to watch.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 18, 2018, 04:51 PM   #3
jmorris

That was my first thought, conveyor and pneumatic or even gates like post office sorting.

It just gets complicated fairly quick to control lots of different outputs not to mention different diameters/speeds.

I did do inline for my for my 45 ACP decapper, SPP/LPP sorter but it’s so simple it doesn’t even need a micro processor just a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJgU3-OXuUU
Old August 18, 2018, 05:16 PM   #4
hounddawg

that's pretty neat