The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2018, 06:45 PM   #1
tranders

9mm hollow base question

I have been using Berry’s and Everglades 124 grain RN with good results. Noticed that Berry’s makes a 124 grain hollow base RN. What is the advantage or purpose of the hollow base compared to a flat base.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 9, 2018, 07:07 PM   #2
kmw1954

Redistributed weight, longer bearing surface. At target load velocities I seem to get a bit better consistency and accuracy with the hollow base. I have also been loading the 124gr HBFPTP and really like them.
Old August 9, 2018, 07:21 PM   #3
74A95

https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-124gr-hbrn-tp

" The hollow base allows the bullet profile to be longer and provides more contact area with the barrel and rifling to stabilize the bullet and improve accuracy. "
Old August 9, 2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Aside from the above two responses, hollow base bullets also tend to obturate at the base better - better sealing the bullet to the barrel.

The drawback is the potential for over-obturation, excessively distorting the bullet, causing inconsistencies in accuracy.

So yes, hollow base bullets are great for target velocities. But not so great if you over-drive them.
Old August 10, 2018, 12:27 AM   #5
tranders

Thank you for the replies.
These are double plated and are suppose to be good to 1400fps which is way faster than I will push them. My reloads run around 1,000fps.
Old August 10, 2018, 07:51 AM   #6
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranders View Post
These are double plated and are suppose to be good to 1400fps which is way faster than I will push them. My reloads run around 1,000fps.
Actually, Berry’s says good to 1500fps. But repeating your comment....way faster than I will push them...ever. While Berry’s is extending the high end, I’m trying to develop lighter, and most likely slower loads.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:34 AM   #7
kmw1954

Nick_C_S, Not certain if you have seen these bullets but my observation is that the hollow base of these bullets is much thicker and unlike that of cast hollow base wadcutters. Because of this extra thickness in the base I believe but cannot prove that loading these to standard pistol levels, which I have yet to find one exceeding 1200fps that over-obturation isn't going to occur.

I have been using these in 380 and 9mm and have yet to notice a fall off of accuracy while approaching the higher end of any standard load. Now I haven't tried these in the 45acp as of yet and don't own a 40S&W or a 10mm so I of course cannot comment on those or offer an impression on their use..
Old August 10, 2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Nick_C_S, Not certain if you have seen these bullets
kmw1954: No, I have not seen these bullets. I was speaking generically regarding hollow-base bullets. And my personal experience with hollow-base bullets is solely with 38 lead wadcutters (as you surmised).

Thank you for the additional information. We never stop learning.
Old August 10, 2018, 02:34 PM   #9
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
I have been using these in 380 and 9mm and have yet to notice a fall off of accuracy while approaching the higher end of any standard load. Now I haven't tried these in the 45acp as of yet and don't own a 40S&W or a 10mm so I of course cannot comment on those or offer an impression on their use..
Kevin....that’s one heck of a lot of bullet for 380...what kind of load are you using? Heck, I haven’t even tried 115gr in 380...well, with the problems I’ve had (and still having) with my Baby Rock I’m trying to stay conservative. Still, always collecting starting loads...there may come a time when all I have is 124gr Berry’s.
Old August 10, 2018, 08:59 PM   #10
kmw1954

markr6754 just to clarify the 380. In the 380 I have just started using the hollow base berry's bullets because I was able to get some at a very low price. These are 100gr bullets. Normally I load 100gr RNFP plated Xtreme. I have loaded these with AA#5, Silhouette, HP-38 and recently with AA#2. Of the powders tested the Ramshot was the most accurate and consistent.

Not going to give feedback on the 380 hollow base yet because I just haven't shot enough yet to form an honest objective opinion other than I am seeing what I expected.

I have been shooting the 124gr HBFPTP in 2 different 9mm's and like them enough to start buying them in the box of 1k instead of the box of 250.. The flat points also cut nice clean holes in paper! Also I've been loading these with the same powders listed above and again have found the Ramshot performing the best of the lot. Though in the 9mm the HP-38 is right behind and I load a lot of this because it uses less powder for the same results until it get to the upper end.
Old August 11, 2018, 07:45 AM   #11
markr6754

kmw1954, Whew! Got it. I’ve been using these 100gr Berry’s HBRN bullets for several months. These are the bullets I started out loading 380 before I bought my Baby Rock, and we know what a disaster that’s been.
I haven’t given up yet...I loaded nearly 200 rounds using VV3N37 and VV N320 last night and Thursday night, all with the 100gr Berry’s. It been my only hollow base bullet thus far. I’m quite pleased with the Berry’s bullets, including these. I went big during the bullets.com going out of business sale. I still have multiple boxes for everything I shoot.
My 124gr Berry’s in 9mm are solid base, so I haven’t tried the bullets in the OP.