The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Te Anau

I've decided...the two best value survival knives are.......

the Glock 81 and Kershaw Roughneck.Both of these knives are first rate quality and tough as nails.Either should serve one well over the long haul provided they receive at least a minimum of care and can be had for around $35.00 or less.Survival knives at this price point are usually suspect and often downright dangerous and unreliable.Not these two.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=655534
&
http://www.survival-gear-guide.com/K...Roughneck.html
Old August 7, 2010, 10:28 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

I won a Glock bayonet

But I prefer Cold Steel choices for my 'cheap' knives.
Old August 8, 2010, 08:32 PM   #3
rayban

They look like they may survive a tough steak....maybe.
Old August 10, 2010, 03:33 AM   #4
bamaranger

glock knife

You wanna talk knives. OK, most gun guys do.

I've had a Glock knife for a long time, and its most recent test was cutting up a cow that had been shot in a landowners pasture. We were hunting for slugs in the critter. The glock did good, and held an edge as we cut, pried and chopped our way through most of two hams.

I sold my model with the sawback, just couldn't find a use for it, and got the std solid spine model. The saw teeth seemed hard on the sheath, and in the way oft times as I worked with the off hand or had an odd grip.

I like the sheath, very positive and secure, and can go on and off the belt w/o removing the belt and losing your trousers. I like the tapered edge, not hollow ground, very tough. I like the price.

I don't like the fact that the cutting edge does not go closer to the guard. There's about an inch or so that is not sharpened, right where I like to cut if I'm doing really fine work. Just a half inch more edge would make all the difference to me.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Best survival knife is the one you have if suddenly caught in a survival situation. Of the two shown I would choose the Kershaw based on my experience with that brand.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:45 AM   #6
amd6547

I have been quite satisfied with the Camilus made Air Force survival knife I have owned for the last 30 years. I bought it brand new in 1980 for about $12.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7
hooligan1

Check this one out! and yes it is for sale!

Last edited by hooligan1; February 4, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:31 PM   #8
BGutzman

Quote:
the Glock 81 and Kershaw Roughneck
Your kidding right???

Im not sure there is any such thing as a best survival knife.... Whats one mans favorite is another mans junk.

For years and years I carried (and still have) a gerber MKII, was it very good to be sure and for the money a bargin, is it the best not by a long shot.
Some knife guys and gals will spend several hundreds of dollars (or more) and get exotic custome knives with steels the big company's just cant touch.

I myself always tried for the best blade for the job Im doing and my personality.

The MKII is a dagger and there are a lot of people who will say you cant do this well with a dagger or you cant to that well with a dagger. I would reply thats because you dont know how to use a dagger. Point being Its all a choice.

As far as any mass produced knife being the best survival tool, its doubtful but that doesnt mean that you cant depend on some of them in a serious situation.

A knife is a tool and how you implement its use is what will determine its value to you. If I had a boat load of money absolutely I would have something exotic but I still have kids to feed and a roof over my head to worry about.

Best bang for the buck in mass production knives I would say SOG or Cold Steel or several other quality companies; then again Spyderco makes some great knives for specific uses.....

Its all up to you.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Wilkenstein

Big fan of Ranger knives myself. Small company that sells a fantastic knife.
Old August 11, 2010, 09:51 PM   #10
7jinxed7

Why not a bayonet? They go through very stringent testing already. Just my opinion. I'm sure both of those knives are pretty good too though. S.O.G. knives are also pretty good.
Old August 13, 2010, 03:36 AM   #11
bamaranger

it is, or was

The glock knife did start life as a bayonet! I can't recall for what rifle though.

That explains some of its characteristics. V-grind, heavy point, thick spine, comparatively narrow blade, and unfortunately, that little section at the rear that is not sharpened.

+1 0n the Cammillus survival knife, I like that one too! slightly shorter, and maybe, more durable, than the std Kbar, which was conceived as a fighting knife.
Old August 13, 2010, 04:14 AM   #12
BfloBill

Columbia River Knife and Tool had some good choices, but I checked their prices when this thread started and they have tripled in the last 10 years. Glad I got mine when I did. (only $30 then)
Old August 13, 2010, 04:38 AM   #13
kadima

A good utility knife that goes cheap is the Ak bajonet, unfortunatley is sharpened to be useful only to right handed users...

K.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:28 PM   #14
aelancaster

Emerson

What does everyone think about the Emerson brand? I have a mini CQC7B that has served me well for more years than I care to remember. Would not dream of leaving home or the states without it.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:02 AM   #15
7jinxed7

Quote:
A good utility knife that goes cheap is the Ak bajonet
+1 on that. $6.99 for a Romanian Bayonet right now. You can't beat the durability for that price. I plan on ordering one or two for camping and the truck.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:29 AM   #16
BfloBill

aelancaster-
I went to the Emerson site and those are some nice looking knives, unfortunately the first thing I saw was the big disclaimer that they won't sell knives to N.Y. residents. There was no sense looking further for a price.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:39 AM   #17
ZeSpectre

Interesting conversation. Really my best two survival knives have been a Kershaw "Antelope Hunter" (I think the still make a newer version) and a Kershaw "Scamp".

I tend to have one or the other of these two knives with me at any given time and the Antelope Hunter has been my regular camping companion for about 20 years now. We can talk a boatload of theoretical stuff but these are the knives I've actually used in many different situations and that Antelope hunter has always come through and in spite of an awful lot of hard use it still looks almost brand new.
Old August 15, 2010, 12:30 PM   #18
Slamfire

Why do people always focus on survival knives and not survival axes?

If you are reduced to using firewood, then cutting wood seems to be a very basic issue.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:02 PM   #19
Te Anau

Quote:
+1 on that. $6.99 for a Romanian Bayonet right now
AK bayonets are a great deal,but the only ones I know of that are less than $7.00 are J&G's and they look like hell!
If one is willing to pony up the big dough, this is probably one of the better deals out there.Its the Ontario SP-24.

http://www.combattactical.com/ontari...h-p-84155.html
Old August 15, 2010, 05:29 PM   #20
kaylorinhi

BGutzman said it, the Gerber MKII is all you need