The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Shakazulu

Why not to use a paddle holster

Don't know if this has been seen before, but I've seen some threads about paddle holsters here and came across this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

I've always been a fan of them; mostly Fobus. That maneuver looked damn easy though. What do you guys think?
Old November 17, 2009, 05:10 PM   #2
longlane

Looks easy enough, but...

I only wear a kydex/paddle-type when I'm in the woods--never as a concealed or "in public" holster.

That said,this leads me to more concerns: a slip/fall while in the woods--fall on holster, snap. No holster, no gun. While the weight might be missed, it is a bit too easy. I look forward to others' thoughts too.
Old November 17, 2009, 06:50 PM   #3
omega

I managed to get my hands on a Hellweg tactical paddle before they went out of business, and think highly of it. It, along with three or four belt-clip mag pouches were my main battle gear running IPSC Limited Class .- . never used anything but.

I still use it for CC, as it helps the pistol's forward cant ride high into my waist instead of bulging on the hip. Just my preference, and I guess you need a waist for this to be comfortable.

In any event, paddles are functional AND convenient.
Old November 18, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
dairycreek

That particular video is found in a number of places and the holster in question is, indeed, a Fobus. It is as much a slam at Fobus quality as it is a paddle holster. I tried the same stunt with a paddle holster made by BladeTech and it did not work at all. Because the BladeTech is much stronger construction I doggone near lost my pants and can tell you that it hurt. Good holsters (no matter what their construction) do what good holsters always to - stay put.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old November 18, 2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Shakazulu

Quote:
That particular video is found in a number of places and the holster in question is, indeed, a Fobus. It is as much a slam at Fobus quality as it is a paddle holster. I tried the same stunt with a paddle holster made by BladeTech and it did not work at all. Because the BladeTech is much stronger construction I doggone near lost my pants and can tell you that it hurt. Good holsters (no matter what their construction) do what good holsters always to - stay put.
Fobus holsters are cheap and that's why it was easy for me to get a paddle holster for just about ever auto I own. I just ordered a solid leather holster for my main auto carry.

I'll have to check out that BladeTech too.
Old November 18, 2009, 08:13 PM   #6
DWARREN123

Tried them and did not like them. I use a leather OWB or IWB. Mine pull in close and hold tight.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:29 PM   #7
BillCA

A high quality paddle holster won't fail this easily. The Fobus is a bargain brand for someone who just wants a cheap holster instead of something quality. They're okay at the range or as a temporary measure until you get a quality holster.

The only downfall to paddle holsters is that you can not achieve the type of tight fit to the body for CCW as you can with other holsters.
Old December 6, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
504tactical

I have seen this video on youtube and many other places. I agree with the other guys on here. The holster is a cheap quality fobus holster. Which is an injection molded rig. The problem is not with a paddle holster, it is with the way it is attached and the materials used to attach it. I make all of my own concealed carry holsters myself and I prefer to use Kydex for its speed and the fact that its ease of maintenance. I would like to see a video of that being done with a quality rig. Also, concealed carry should be just that, concealed if someone knows you are carrying then you have already lost.
Old December 6, 2009, 10:01 PM   #9
ritepath

I love mine...
Old August 20, 2010, 10:15 PM   #10
jdtoyou

Ritepath-

Who is the maker of that paddle?

JD
Old August 21, 2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Jack Bauer

I have a Blade-Tech paddle for my Ruger P345, and a Comp-Tac paddle for my M&P's...much better quality than the Fobus, and quite concealable as well.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old August 23, 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Straightshooter629

One of the holsters I use with me XD-40 Service is a DeSantis #88 leather paddle and because of the construction of this holster, that issue could never happen with this holster.
Old August 23, 2010, 07:45 PM   #13
BWT

This video is old. Fobus has upgraded their holsters after this; however IMHO its too cheap except for rang use.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:23 PM   #14
7jinxed7

I don't trust this video. If they really wanted to prove they break easy they would have done it with out both peoples hands on it. If you look closely it appears that both people are pushing down on it.You will also see his balance shift to the right where the holster is, then he shifts his weight back afterwards. It doesn't really prove anything and no I'm not a fobus or any paddle holster owner.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:34 AM   #15
demigod

Indeed fobus is not the top pick... but this is more of an illustration of open carry vs. concealed... and lack of situational awareness.

I, for one, would NEVER stand with my arms forward like that if I were open carrying. On the rare occasion that I do open carry, I rest my forearm on the heel/backstrap of the pistol to cover it/protect it from un authorized hands.
Old August 25, 2010, 01:14 AM   #16
BillCA

Quote:
I don't trust this video. If they really wanted to prove they break easy they would have done it with out both peoples hands on it. If you look closely it appears that both people are pushing down on it.You will also see his balance shift to the right where the holster is, then he shifts his weight back afterwards. It doesn't really prove anything and no I'm not a fobus or any paddle holster owner.
The first thing you do when someone attempts to grab your gun is to grab hold of their hand and push it down against the gun. This keeps them from withdrawing the gun from the holster to use against you. It also keeps the trigger inside the holster where it can't be activated.

In the video, the "snatcher" shows that he doesn't need to pull up to get the gun. The gun carrier puts his hand on the snatcher's hand, but instead of pulling up, the snatcher pushes down and rotates the grip to the rear (raising the muzzle). In essence, he is rotating the muzzle upwards while pushing down and the torque shears the fasteners between the holster and paddle.

Of course, the video is done to demonstrate a point. In reality, the gun carrier should be moving back into his assailant, turning his body and driving the assailant into an object or the ground. Or attempting to kick or trip the assailant. But if they showed those dynamics, the illustration of how easy it is to defeat a Fobus holster wouldn't be as obvious.
Old August 25, 2010, 05:33 AM   #17
LukeA

Quote:
In reality, the gun carrier should be moving back into his assailant, turning his body and driving the assailant into an object or the ground. Or attempting to kick or trip the assailant. But if they showed those dynamics, the illustration of how easy it is to defeat a Fobus holster wouldn't be as obvious.
If the carrier was moving back toward the assailant while the assailant's hand was on the gun, then the forces on the holster fasteners would be even greater, making the fasteners snap even more easily.

In any case, cheap holsters are bad.
Old August 25, 2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Statureman

Yeah, cheap kydex is a problem.

Don't know if y'all have heard of Limalife http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife but she discusses the threat of getting your gun taken from you. Her solution? A ka-bar on her off hand to cut the arm of attacker trying to take her gun. Not a bad idea in a rare, yet extreme situation.

She also addresses cheap holsters too.
Old August 25, 2010, 05:16 PM   #19
riggins_83

I have a couple kydex Paddle Holsters around, don't really use them. For CC I only use Kydex IWB, woods carry a leather Galco DAO Holster. I prefer something with fixed belt loops for the woods, don't want it getting knocked off if I bump a tree.