The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 6, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
SmokeyLonesome

Lever Guns

Seriously looking for a good 30-30 rifle. Would love to buy a pre 64 Winchester, but my pockets aren't that deep. Any thoughts?
Old August 7, 2018, 04:09 AM   #2
PatientWolf

Price range?

If you are patient and persistently visit the local gun stores you may find that pre 64. I have seen a few that I thought were reasonable, but didn’t have the cash at the time. The point is they do pop up, especially after hunting season, and occasionally before as people replace their firearms.

Alternatively, you can usually find Marlin JM stamp or the Marlin off-labels such as Western at pretty good prices.
Old August 7, 2018, 05:04 AM   #3
Dusty Rivers

Marlin

Marlin 336 manufactured in North Haven CT JM barrel stamp.
Old August 7, 2018, 06:28 AM   #4
mgulino

Don't forget to check pawn shops too. Saw a beautiful, mint condition Marlin 336 (JM stamp) in 35 Remington for $350 the other day.
Old August 7, 2018, 09:52 AM   #5
stagpanther

I took a chance and bought a recently-made 336 at wally world--very well equipped and shoots good enough within the practical range of 30-30. No real complaints. Well made and well equipped, cost under $500.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 8, 2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old August 7, 2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Ricklin

Do not overlook

Keep a weather eye out for the department store mutts as I like to call them.

Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, and many more sold models that were similar to the same gun with the manufacturer's name on it vs. the Dept. store.
In many cases it may be that the gun lacks checkering, perhaps a lower grade of wood, etc, etc.

Bottom line is the inherent goodness is still there. It just might be hiding under a Dept. store name, that name generally equals a good price.

The finest rifle I own is a Dept store mutt. JC Higgins (Sears) model 50 in .270 it's a commercial FN Mauser action with a High Standard barrel with chrome lined bore.

A rifle of equivalent quality would be well over a grand today.
Old August 7, 2018, 10:21 AM   #7
LineStretcher

Quote:
Seriously looking for a good 30-30 rifle. Would love to buy a pre 64 Winchester, but my pockets aren't that deep. Any thoughts?
A new model 94 will run you 1200.00. Keep that in your mind when you're looking at used. I bought a pre 64 Model 94 in 30-30 at an estate sale. My close inspection say's it's been a safe gun most of it's life. It was a 1963 in what I would consider perfect condition. They were asking 800.00, I offered 700.00 and they took it. They accepted the offer quickly so I'm sure I could have offered less.
Old August 8, 2018, 12:21 AM   #8
bamaranger

choice

Win M94's have jumped significantly in price since they went out of mainstream production, no matter what era.

The Win rival, the Marlin 336, is still priced halfway decent, and I see examples of them (used) in most shops I frequent. The Marlin will clean easier (from the breech) and most models will scope easier due to side eject and factory tapped.

If I were shopping for a shooter and hunter, though I like the Win heritage and its lines, I'd buy a Marlin.
Old August 8, 2018, 06:09 AM   #9
jmr40

A pre 64 model 94 will start at about $500 on the used market. They are out there if you look.

I really think the older Marlins are better rifles anyway and they can be found in the $300-$350 range. Over the years Marlin tweaked the stock design on their levers and I really like the 1970's and pre safety 1980's rifles stock best. They went to the safety in I think 1988. If you subtract the 1st 2 digits of the SN from 100 you get the year of manufacture on the pre Remlin rifles. A SN starting in 13 would be 1987 and one starting in 28 would be 1972.

The best of both worlds are the Marlins with a straight grip like Winchester used. They are a little harder to find, but worth the effort. You can find a pistol gripped Marlin in every pawnshop.

Winston Churchill
Old August 8, 2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Drm50

There are tons of used 30/30s in 94 Wins & Marlin 336s from $300 up. I get them all the time and have a hard time turning them over. The older JM Marlins
are now collectors items and will bring about same money as pre64 94 Win.
The Marlins easy to scope, Win 94s are lighter but both good shooters.Buying
Marlins made by Remington is a gamble that I wouldn't take.
Old August 9, 2018, 06:54 PM   #11
44caliberkid

Don't forget Marlin 1893's. Predecessor of the 336. Lots on GB and other websites. Could be the chance to get a vintage gun more economically.
Old August 10, 2018, 04:11 AM   #12
Jack O'Conner

Mossberg builds a good carbine for a fair price which appears very similar to the Winchester 94. Mine features a 16 inch barrel, laminated stock, and Marine-coat finish which is ideal for hunting here in tropical Florida. The empty cases are ejected out the side. 30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

Old August 10, 2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
I get them all the time and have a hard time turning them over
I agree. I won't even take them in unless I get into it at a very good price. Everybody says they want one, but nobody wants to pony up the dollars for one when they can get a good used Remington 700 or a Savage 110 for the same money. The generation that grew up on Gunsmoke and Bonanza are dying, and there are bunches of old Winchesters online for $400-$500ish. Of course, they're not making any more of them, and there's still enough demand so the price stays pretty constant. I would say Jack O'Conner's suggestion for a Mossberg might work.
Old August 10, 2018, 05:49 PM   #14
Rifletom

Hmm. Maybe Mossberg will come out with a 18.5" barreled .357/.38 lever gun.
I'd buy it. Hope springs eternal.
Old August 10, 2018, 09:49 PM   #15
COSteve

I owned both a Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 about 35 years ago, however, neither of them really impressed me as the Marlin's stock was too bulky with a ok action and the Winchester's action a trigger were too floppy. Anyway, starting a family at the time meant I needed to sell them so out they went.

A few years ago with the kids grown and me retired with time and money to enjoy again, I looked for another 'thudy-thudy' for my collection. No reason, just that I wanted one so I looked at the Marlins and Winchesters again and they were the same.

I too checked out a new Mossberg 464 just for kicks. A traditional walnut stocked, blued carbine, and was surprised at it's feel and fit. It was after their early issues with the ejector were resolved so I gave it a try and I was pleasantly surprised.

The action was a bit stiff at first, however, an evening of cycling it while watching the tube smoothed it out just fine and I now have a great little shooter with a surprisingly decent trigger. The stock Marbles sights it comes with are the same I added to my Rossi 357mag carbine so I was good with them.

It's a great find at a fair price. I'm totally happy with it even 500rds later.

Old August 11, 2018, 03:53 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Winchester pre 64 ownership. I own a few and seldom if ever shoot mine. There strictly a investment. And likely will remain so in this family. (just a investment) Especially so when the shooting sports folks are willing to pay whatever asked to have one.
If wanting something that will garner a steep return price someday. Marlin isn't quite yet in that category but Savage 99s certainly are. If I were to start over and I wanting a lever 30-30. A must have {side loading gate} means little to me. I would want a accurate rifle. A lever rifle that is a pleasure to shoot having been built by my U.S. of A. neighbors. Henry Mossberg Marlin _in that order (for the time being.) is too my liking.
Old August 13, 2018, 04:52 PM   #17
McShooty

Guess no one cares for the Henry H009, lest I missed it above. Mine is great. I also have a 94 and a 336. The Henry keeps up and has great wood.
Old August 14, 2018, 03:17 AM   #18
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShooty View Post
Guess no one cares for the Henry H009, lest I missed it above. Mine is great. I also have a 94 and a 336. The Henry keeps up and has great wood.
While it's 1.3lbs lighter than the brass framed Henry 30-30 at an even 7lbs, it's still heavier than my Mossberg and most of all, it doesn't have a side loading gate. Pulling out the tube and pointing the muzzle up to load it in the field is a non-starter for me no matter how much it weighs. However, YMMV
Old August 14, 2018, 04:17 AM   #19
stagpanther

Quote:
I too checked out a new Mossberg 464 just for kicks. A traditional walnut stocked, blued carbine, and was surprised at it's feel and fit. It was after their early issues with the ejector were resolved so I gave it a try and I was pleasantly surprised.
I bought a mossberg patriot rifle a couple of years ago and was also surprised at the quality of materials, manufacture and functionality at it's price point--they seemed to have really stepped up their game.
Old August 21, 2018, 08:05 AM   #20
sarge83

I caught a pre-64 at a pawn shop fifteen years ago was in good condition for $200 OTD. I picked up a nice Westfield at the same shop a couple years ago for $200 as well. You can find some nice ones at the pawn shops if you are patient and are willing to walk away from a bad deal. Cash is king at these shops.
Old August 21, 2018, 09:37 PM   #21
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge83 View Post
I caught a pre-64 at a pawn shop fifteen years ago was in good condition for $200 OTD. I picked up a nice Westfield at the same shop a couple years ago for $200 as well. You can find some nice ones at the pawn shops if you are patient and are willing to walk away from a bad deal. Cash is king at these shops.
Well, if you're stealing them, then . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Great scores.
Old August 22, 2018, 01:08 AM   #22
Don Dayacetah

If you can get a pre '64 in good shape, by all means do so. But push is coming to shove for hunting season, and I'm in the Marlin 336 camp.
Old August 22, 2018, 02:25 PM   #23
FrankenMauser

Search for an old Winchester if you want the nostalgia (real or not) that goes along with it, and will be using iron sights.

If you just want a rugged tool that will do what you need it to and/or can be scoped, I would pick up a used Marlin 336 or off-brand derivative (the store brands and Glenfields).

Mossbergs seem okay. Henrys are fine. They just aren't for me.

---

I don't recommend entertaining the idea of getting an 1893, 1936, or 36 for the job. Parts are scarce and expensive, and most of the rifles are in far from prime condition (those that are pristine are priced accordingly, anyway). Even really nice-looking, original 1893s, 1936s, and 36s are usually well-worn inside and require some repair.

Case in point: I have a 1946 Model 36 in .30-30, that I'm converting to another cartridge. (Don't worry, 'purists' and collectors, it was already refinished and partially-Bubba'd; and barely functional). Not wanting to further deplete the pool of available parts for the Model 36s, I opted not to modify the original cartridge lifter.

However, I was unable to acquire a suitable replacement after more than a year of searching (everything that I did find was worn beyond reasonable repair or way too expensive). A friend sent me an 1893 .38-55 cartridge lifter in great condition, but, again, I didn't want to modify that one to work in a Model 36 and use up a hard-to-find (arguably rare) part in the 1893 parts pool.
In the end, I spent about 6 hours modifying, test-fitting, tweaking, tuning, and testing a 336 cartridge lifter. (Though that one was also a rare part - a .308 MX lifter - but at least it is something that Marlin can still produce.)

Just don't go there, unless you WANT the 'adventure' of trying to keep the old rifles alive, and/or have enough pocket change to pick up a really good one.
Old August 24, 2018, 10:09 AM   #24
Husqvarna

Why settle for second rate?

A Browning BLR is better in every way, gotta be used ones there to...
Old August 24, 2018, 06:51 PM   #25
Airman Basic

Who's making the Mossbergs and where?