The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 22, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

Hydrographics

Anybody doing them with the DIY kits? It looks silly easy, I was wondering how durable the "clear coat" was over the top of them. I have not read any negative but wondered if anybody is using them?

Thanks
Old July 23, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, anyone viewing something that looks "silly easy" would do well to consider that the demo was done by an experienced person - who easily makes the hardest task look easy-peasy.

Preparation is very important, as is the proper method of withdrawing whatever shape from the dip - so that the endseam will fall into a place on the shaped item where it'll be relatively un-noticed.

The followup & overcoat is also important, both for durability and visual acceptability.

JMO, but I've found it less expensive in the long run to have a pro do mine. (Why I don't do my own brain surgery)

Old July 23, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
QuarterHorse

Ya know I guess I deserve that post, as you have no idea who I am or what my abilities are.

Let's put it this way, I'm quite capable and mechanically inclined with more than a few larger scale projects under my belt.

Now that we have that out of the way, have you done this and are there things that can make the job go easier other than proper surface prep on the work material to be dipped and a well thought out work area so I'm not tripping over myself attempting to do it?

How about using a clear like Duracote or something of the sort to not have the stuff peel off like a scratch ticket?

Thank you
Old July 24, 2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

My recommendation is to watch some of the videos, and the setup needed, along with the type of tank. Remember that this is ink based, and requires a hard clear-coat.

Like using the realtree cammo patterns, I don't think registration of the image counts for much, just that it is enough to wrap around the stock without missing it anywhere.
Old July 24, 2013, 09:57 PM   #5
QuarterHorse

Thanks for the heads up
Old August 1, 2013, 08:34 PM   #6
er775

check out mydipkit.com online, they also have some videos on youtube, you are right though they do make it look easy, I`d like to try it too, the kits seem reasonably priced