The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2011, 12:53 PM   #26
oilcan72

Greg

I have the same press and I load 45 ACP and 45 Colt, along with 45-70 and 577 Snider get the LEE loading manual 2nd edition it has a lot more choices for bullets, and weights and is a very good starting point. The front part of the book is very informative. Welcome to reloading have fun and be safe.

oilcan72
Old August 24, 2011, 01:20 PM   #27
Zeeba

Ditto on the Lee dies recommendation. The Factory crimp die can be fine-tuned to provide a nice tapered crimp to your semi-auto cases. It also resizes the outside of the case again if your bullet bulges it out a tad.
I'd also recommend a case trimmer, since you're loading .45ACP & 9mm brass. Case length is important on autoloader calibers since they headspace on the mouth.
If you've got a Dremel, I'd recommend getting their #443 wire brush. It makes quick work cleaning the poop out of the primer pockets.
Oh - a tube of JBWeld will come in handy when the wood knob comes off the press.
Old August 24, 2011, 05:43 PM   #28
Don P

Quote:
Since you mentioned the 4 die set, it also contains the factory crimp die. Can you tell me the difference between the taper crimp die and the factory crimp die
The FCD will produce a crimp just like factory ammo. I use it on all my calibers. To date I have had zero feed issues due to crimp. It also will remove any bulge from the case caused by the bullet.

Quote:
I'd also recommend a case trimmer, since you're loading .45ACP & 9mm brass. Case length is important on autoloader calibers since they headspace on the mouth.
I disagree with the above quote. I have yet to have a need for trimming cases. In my opinion the case will split before it needs trimming.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 24, 2011, 07:09 PM   #29
CrustyFN

Quote:
I disagree with the above quote. I have yet to have a need for trimming cases. In my opinion the case will split before it needs trimming.
I'm with Don. I have never needed to trim 9mm or 45 auto. The only straight wall pistol brass you might want to trim is revolver brass to get a uniform crimp. I don't even trim those but know some people that do.