The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 1, 2013, 01:25 PM   #26
eldermike

Many years ago I picked up an IBM at a gun show. The stock had been repaired at least twice but both cases were right by the book with cross pins and glue. The repairs are still holding up. It had a ton of carry wear on it but the action and bore were both perfect. I have no idea how many rounds I have fired through it over the years; its always fired every round without a hitch. I have no idea what the scoop on IBM's are but my experience with one of them tells me what I need to know about them.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #27
KyJim

The M1 Carbine was originally designed to be carried in lieu of sidearms by troops in "support" roles like transportation or artillery units. An awful lot of them ended up on the front lines in Korea. As others have mentioned, they have similar ballistics as a .357 magnum.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:02 PM   #28
RickB

Quote:
As far as one being better than another, I wouldn't really worry about it, as most if not all of the ones you will find available now have been through one or probably more arsenal rebuilds, in which interchangeable parts were used, without a thought to future collectability.
The older models will have flip rear sights, push-button safety, and front band w/o bayonet lug. There are two bolt variants, round and square.
Get one while you can, and shoot it! They are a blast to shoot, low recoil, and lightweight.
Quite right. It would be difficult (spelled $$$$) to find an original Carbine, with all of the proper parts, codes, etc., that actually is original.
It has become a popular sport to take complete Carbines, strip them, then hunt-down parts that were correct at the time of manufacture. The gun is not authentic, but it looks original.
I have a Quality Hardware, with '42-dated Rock Ola barrel, but just about every other part appears to be of the latest configuration, with round bolt, M2 stock, bayo lug, etc.
Old February 1, 2013, 07:28 PM   #29
TomL

M1 Carbine

Buy one of Craig Reisch' books on the carbine, read it cover to cover and familiarize yourself with who/what/where and when. Then start your search, you will be glad you did your home work first. TomL
Old February 4, 2013, 01:18 PM   #30
coldbeer

I love the M1 carbine but saying it's the ballistic equivelant of the 357 magnum is a stretch imo. 347 magnum 125 grain bullet fired from a 20" barrel = 2350 fps, 30 carbine 110 grain bullet from 18' barrel = 1990 fps. 360 fps avg with a wider heavier bullet is a lot.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:43 PM   #31
RickB

I think it's a comparison of .357 ballistics when the round is fired in a pistol, to the .30 round fired in a Carbine.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #32
carbine30

I have an early universal m1 carbine with usgi parts and its great for a shooter. Doesnt seem like a good time to be looking for any m1 carbine with the prices. Look at what the universals are currently going for on gunbroker etc. i agree though, get a usgi carbine if money is not an issue. There will be some people that say you can get one in the 500- 600 dollar range, ya right. I would like to know where they live or where they see those prices. I have seen a few in that range and they look like they have been sitting on the bottom of the ocean. If i were to look though, i would ignore the condition of the stock or how "pretty" the grain is and focus on the condition of the metal finish and be sure the barrel isnt shot out. And if your not a collector, it really shouldnt matter if the parts arent matching as long as they are usgi. Maybe start by looking for an inland made carbine; if believe they made the most thus price should be lower than say an ibm or rockola..
Old February 6, 2013, 12:07 AM   #33
Hook686

I have a few CMP M1 Carbines. I bought 1 each for my grandkids. I have Inland and Underwood receiver barrel carbines. The rest of the components are a mix of all manufacturers. As I understand it the carbine was manufactured so that the parts from one manufacturer would fit into any carbine produced by any of the other manufacturers.

The tolerances were flexible. I suspect whichever receiver/barrel one gets it will be just about as good as any other receiver/barrel combination manufactured as the requirements for each of the manufacturers was the same. If the receiver/barrel does not match, the barrel is worn, or the parts slop is on the order of maximum + matched with maximum - in the rebuild, then it might be a 'Worst case scenario'.

I have noticed that one Inland shoots better than the other Inlands, and one shoots worse than the other Inlands. The same is true for the Underwoods. However I also have noticed that the best Inland shoots about the same as the best Underwood, and the worst Inland shoots about the same as the worst Underwood.

I like it for Coyotes under 100 yards.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:22 AM   #34
Mannlicher

an uncle of mine carried a carbine across Europe. He was a Lt to start, made it to Major by the time they got to the Czech border. First German soldier he killed was with a Carbine.
I have 5 now. Two Inlands (One a 'real' Paratroop model), a RockOla, a Winchester and a Quality Hardware.
I used a Universal for years. Bought that one at JC Penney back in 1970. It worked fine, and gave no problems. My son's GF still has it on her farm.
Recently, I added a rail forend on the Quality Hardware carbine, and mounted a Bushnell Red Dot TRS. Might be the perfect Zombie rifle.
It is a great shooting little rifle, giving me three inch groups, shooting offhand, at 75 yards.
Through the years, I have accumulated a good number of USGI magazines, and 'adequate' amounts of ball and SP ammo. I agree, that the USGI 15 round mags seem to be the most reliable.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 6, 2013, 11:13 AM   #35
DMK

My CMP service grade Inland shoot great. I've never shot it off the bench except to sight it in, but offhand and out to 100 yards, I've done just as well with the M1 as I have with my AR carbines. The low recoil really helps too. Even after shooting the poodleshooter ARs, the M1 feels like a 22 in comparison.

I'm surprised about the 30 round mags giving people such problems. My Korean M2 mags have run perfectly for me.

My only complaint regarding the M1 is finding ammo for it.

Old February 6, 2013, 08:42 PM   #36
James K
Member In Memoriam

The .30 Carbine cartridge was a slightly modified .32 Winchester Self Loading, which was never a pistol cartridge.* (The similar .32-20 was a rimmed cartridge used in both rifles and revolvers, but the semi-rimmed .32 WSL was used only in the Model 1905 rifle.)

*The early .30 carbine ammo was even headstamped ".32 WSL".

Jim
Old February 7, 2013, 03:15 PM   #37
DMK

Quote:
The .30 Carbine cartridge was a slightly modified .32 Winchester Self Loading, which was never a pistol cartridge.
That's interesting. I never knew that. I need to look that round up.

I think most folks consider it a pistol cartridge due to the round's characteristics; straight wall, round nose, lowish velocity. It looks like a big 9mm.

The round was of course developed specifically for the M1 Carbine and not any handgun.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:13 PM   #38
carbine30

Check this out, comparing some rifle rounds.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot19.htm
Old February 8, 2013, 08:40 AM   #39
jrdavidson

Reloading .30 Carbine

I have a milspec but new production carbine from Fulton Armory that is a work of art that will last me and my grandchildren several lifetimes, as long as we as a nation retain our rights as free citizens (as opposed to subjects).

Because its the only rifle that my wife also shoots well, it is our ready long gun for home defense with two 15 round USGI magazines loaded with soft points.

Finding commercial .30 Carbine ammo is sometimes hit-or-miss (especially now), and even when you find some it seems under-powered (Aguila?). Thankfully there are brass and bullet suppliers online if you reload. Its a reloader's delight to load pulled, never fired, sparkly 1952 Lake City brass with highly consistent USGI 110gr FMJs.

Check out Bartlett Reloaders, Polygunbags, and Mastercast, to name a few online suppliers.

The .30 Carbine round may not have descended from a pistol round, but it reloads very similar to one since it is not a necked cartridge. The case lengthens when resized, so it requires attention to case length and needs an occasional trim to avoid slam-fires.

Since you have to check case length after resizing, I use my hand-indexed turret press instead of my progressive. The case is long (relative to most pistol cases) and unlubed cases work the brass more and can stick. I use Hornady One-Shot spray lube and tumble finished rounds to take the lube off, just like for .223/5.56.

I really love my carbine, and being able to reload for it means my wife and I can shoot it more often.

If only I could find a reliable supply of small rifle primers.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:44 PM   #40
MrAcheson

Quote:
I love the M1 carbine but saying it's the ballistic equivelant of the 357 magnum is a stretch imo. 347 magnum 125 grain bullet fired from a 20" barrel = 2350 fps, 30 carbine 110 grain bullet from 18' barrel = 1990 fps. 360 fps avg with a wider heavier bullet is a lot.
Typical commercial .357 magnum is going to be moving at about 1800-2000 fps from a 18" barrel. See this chart: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

You can get .357 going faster and approaching .30-30 performance with rounds from Buffalo Bore (or by reloading your own), but it's not really the same thing.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:18 PM   #41
zincwarrior

Well its not Ma Deuce, but having a semi auto roughly .357 comparable carbine is not bad at all.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #42
Pilot

I have wanted a G.I. M1 Carbine for some time, but with the prices of them recently getting into or exceeding $1K territory, its not going to happen anytime soon.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:01 AM   #43
74camaroman

Auto Ordinance Carbine

I bought a AO Carbine about 5 years ago and was concerned about the parts and where it was made. Someone spread a rumor that the metal parts were made in the PI and the steel was Crap!! I called the company Kahr Arms and talked to one of their engineers and he told me that all parts were made in the US and to Military Specifications. That was enough for me. I have put about 2-3K rds downrange and never a FTF or FTE, all ammo went boom. I think that they are a reliable little Carbine as most Carbines are. I would rather have a .30 Carbine than a 9mm or some crap like that. If you are worried about the price of a WW2 carbine and you want a shooter, get the Auto Ordinance Carbine, Kahr Arms. Just thought you shoud know that AO owners are happy with theirs. Good luck with what ever M1 you buy.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:57 PM   #44
coldbeer

People love to rag on the AO carbine for some reason but I honestly don't care. I refused to pay a $900+ for a wore out usgi carbine with rusty pitted steel and a shot out barrel so I bought an ao carbine and never looked back. I don't collect antiques.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:56 PM   #45
salvadore

altho I shoot a 44 inland, I completely agree that the AO would probably be a better shooter than an original. Who could argue with a name like coldbeer?
Old February 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #46
rdmallory

I have Auto Ordnance M1 and have never had an issue with it.
Besides some of the original receivers in the IBM etc M1's were made by AO.

Doug
Old February 17, 2013, 10:23 PM   #47
Ridge_Runner_5

Doug, today's Auto Ordnance is not the same as the one from the 30s and 40s. Just like today's Springfield Armory isn't the same one from that era. A new company bought the name and runs under it.

Today's Auto Ordnance is owned by Kahr firearms.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:07 AM   #48
btmj

A comparison of 30 carbine to 357 mag:

At a range of 150 yards, a 30 carbine has about the same energy as a 4" 357 mag revolver does at point blank range... assuming the 357 is loaded with typical 125 gr factory loads.

A comparison of 30 carbine to 308:

At a range of 400 yards, the 308 (150 gr) has about the same energy as a 30 carbine at point blank range.

Last edited by btmj; February 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:14 AM   #49
RickB

When I inquired about shooting my Carbine in a 3-gun match, the organizers wondered if it "made minor", which is about the power level of 55gr .223 shot from a 16" barrel? Yeah, well, .30 Carbine is considerably more powerful than .223 if you value momentum as a measure of "power" (and the classic measures of power do).
55gr x 2800fps = 154 power factor
110gr x 1950fps = 214.5 power factor
Old February 22, 2013, 02:11 AM   #50
mharveyww1

Nothing is certain!

I absolutely LOVE this rifle. I just wish I could get one that WORKED!!!

Over the past decade, I've bought 4 and ALL of them were unreliable.
This includes the usual suspects already mentioned earlier in this thread, but it also includes a couple of high-grade, collector-quality (supposedly) and very expensive WWII models.

Last month, a friend of mine replaced his old NCR (he'd had it for over 40 years) with a new Kahr-built model and it blew up in his face! Fortunately he escaped serious injury but it was a near-thing!

I've put my love 'on-hold' for a while.