The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 29, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
hknut

N cell batterie/EO Tech

EO Tech's list 3 type of batteries for use in the HWS. AA, 123's and N cells. Does anybody know what a N cell looks like?

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

An N cell looks like a sawed off, slightly too fat AAA. They're sometimes sold as medical batteries.

The picture has an N cell between an AA and an AAA.

The N cells are nice in that they allow designs to be more compact, but they're less widely available than either the 123 or the AA, and IIRC are more expensive than AA batteries. Battery life is better with the AAs or 123s

N Cell version. (8.8oz, 4" long, 200 hrs)

AA Cell version (11.5oz, 5" long, 600 hrs)

123 cell version (11.9oz, 5.1" long, 1000 hrs)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa n aaa batts.jpg (145.9 KB, 145 views)
Old September 29, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I have a Bushnell Holosight, Gen II. It uses N Cells. Battery life is very good, and I like the unit just as much as my Eotech that cost me double the money.
N Cells are 2.99 at Radio Shack for a two pack. 123's out here are 2.99 Each.
I put 3 or 4 pairs of N's into the pistol grip of my SIG 556... I can't remember and don't feel like opening the vault to dig it out and count them... but I can pack a lot of spare batteries on the gun. And they have no added heft to the weapon.
I think N cells rock.
The only downside the N cells is that Surefire doesn't make a flashlight with more brightness than a Solar Flare that uses them, so they are not considered "Tactical".
Well, there are tactical enough for me. They cost less, they are smaller and lighter so I can pack more of them for almost no added bulk or weight, and last long enough to take care of a crazy amount of business. My first pair of batteries lasted, what? All summer? Tactical enough.
Old September 30, 2008, 06:52 AM   #4
clown714

that's the only reason I went with the "N" cell.

shortest of the bunch.

allows me to mount it as far foward as possible.

clown
Old October 1, 2008, 08:35 PM   #5
sylathnie

N-Cells

My source for hard to find batteries.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/duprba.html

Reputable and quick shipping. The N-cells are towards the bottom.
Old October 1, 2008, 11:56 PM   #6
skeeter1

I've got a German-made clock that uses N-cell batteries, about 1/yr for 30 years now. Every RadioShack has them. They're easy to get and not very expensive. Not to be a shill for RadioShack, but they've got batteries for just about everything. When I needed a 29A or CR2023 -- yup, RadioShack had them. When I go to my local one, the gent who works there usually greets me with "What kind of battery do you need today?" LOL!!
Old October 5, 2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Ridge_Runner_5

Avoid N Cell EOTechs at all cost...I went through 2 sets of batteries in 5 months...only two range trips in that time, kept off the rest...
Old October 5, 2008, 01:14 PM   #8
Jermtheory

buy an Aimpoint(Micro,M3/ML3/C3,or M4) and quit worrying about batteries.two batteries will last longer than their shelf-life running constant on.

...on a Micro thats a tiny little 2032(5 years run)!

on an M3 series its the only slightly larger 1/3N(almost 6 years).

M4-almost 10 years on AA.

all of those numbers are based on settings above %50 power(6 of 10 on M3's,12 of 16 on M4,and 8 of 12 on the Micro) and i dont even think it takes into account using lithium batteries(at least for the M4).

ive seen the C3 for arround $350.

Last edited by Jermtheory; October 5, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old October 5, 2008, 07:32 PM   #9
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
Avoid N Cell EOTechs at all cost...I went through 2 sets of batteries in 5 months...only two range trips in that time, kept off the rest...
Feh... mine lasted almost 6 months on one set of batteries, and I shot it about twice a week, and went to a week long shooting school where it was used almost daily. The batteries are cheap. I have 3 sets of spares in the grip of my SIG 556. Avoid at all cost... sheesh. They are easy to swap out, bro.
Old October 5, 2008, 09:11 PM   #10
ShipWreck

The newest revision, revision "F" lasts longer on batteries than prev versions....

There is a small "F" on the metal shield - if U need to look at it to verify it.

I like mine a lot!