The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 2, 2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Prof Young

Comparing 22LR ammo out of my Henry . . .

See pic below.

Shooting off a sandbag, at 25 yards, with my Henry lever action, in 22LR, with scope and holding on the center of the target, fifteen shots each.
Top left is CCI standard velocity.
Top right is Blazer
Center is American Eagle.
Bottom right is Federal Champion.
All did well save for the CCI Standard Velocity which grouped about an inch or two below the aiming point.

Range master came in while I was shooting. Said "That looks like a fun gun to shoot."

He is right.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedShots.JPG (92.9 KB, 152 views)
Old March 3, 2017, 04:32 AM   #2
Blindstitch

That Federal looks to be doing a good job.
Old March 3, 2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Prof Young

Yes and . . .

Yes, Federal had the fewest flyers. I was pretty well stabilized but some of the flyers could be me and not the ammo.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 3, 2017, 11:18 PM   #4
Bayoubulldog

I love my Henry! Keep us updated with how yours is doing and what rounds keep working!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old March 19, 2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Deerhunt

Yes please do, I was shooting blazers with my 22lr henry about 45yards away with no scope and had pretty good groups
Old March 19, 2017, 01:06 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Quote:
All did well save for the CCI Standard Velocity which grouped about an inch or two below the aiming point.
Prof, hitting low of center has NOTHING to do with shooting well or not well. That's why a scope and most sights are adjustable. If the best group is low or high, right or left, simply move the sight. In my humble opinion, none of these groups are anything to write home about for twenty-five yards with a bagged rifle using a scope. Your Henry is much more capable than that. Revisit using those brands of ammo and make sure your gun is sitting solidly both front and rear and that you're not putting any, or inconsistent, downward pressure on your stock with your head/face. Lever guns are notorious for shifting POI with facial pressure on the gun by virtue of the design of the gun itself. The two piece stock of a lever gun is very flexible and it's really easy to move the POI simply by using more or less pressure on each shot, and/or moving the gun on the front and rear bags differently from shot to shot. I'd expect groups from your gun to be in the range of 1/4" to 3/8" at that distance using good technique. I'm not trying to be critical, I'd just like to to realize a lot more potential out of a fine gun. Give it another try and I wish you better luck on a retry.
Note: if you really want to wring the most out of your gun, at a somewhat affordable price, get some Eley Target Std. Velocity ammo and shoot a couple of groups with that stuff. That's Eley's most economical brand and it shoots great out of every gun I own.
Old March 19, 2017, 01:43 PM   #7
SHR970

Quote:
Of course it printed low. It is coming out of the muzzle 150-200 fps slower than the high velocity stuff.