The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Nunya53

Winchester M54 270WCF S/N 59?????

I was at a local retailer that deals in new and used guns to give a third look at a Winchester M54 270 WCF. This was when I noticed what I believe to be the S/N (I don't pretend to be an expert) of #59 that was stamped on the right forward side of the receiver. As stated, I'm not an expert on anything but this seems to be an incredibly LOW S/N for any firearm. This place has it priced at $899 and they are known to offer new firearms at full MSRP and used firearms for about full market value + about 10%.

It is a little rough, particularly the stock. It has a thin schnabel forend and looks like long ago someone stripped it and coated it with linseed oil. The stock also has a very old rubber butt pad. The receiver has turned a plumb color over the years and the rear blade sights are a little floppy. Over all, the metal is nice.

My question is, what do I make of this? If the S/N is that low, does it add a premium even in it's decrepit state?

Let me know what you think.

Nunya

Last edited by Nunya53; March 18, 2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old March 17, 2017, 12:31 AM   #2
Scorch

"Plum" color means it has probably been reblued. Original bluing on Winchesters of that time period is rust blue and would not turn purple. I have a pre-war M70, and the bluing on the action is just as black now as when it was made. It was rust blued, so there is no reason it would turn purple. I have seen many M70s over the years that have turned purple, but none of those were factory finished that I know of. Turning purple happened with caustic bluing on cast or very hard metal. Later (post-64) M70s were hot caustic blued, I am not sure when the process changed, but it was after WW2.

As far as the serial number, that would be a first-year gun. My Model 54 was made in 1926 and has a 4-digit serial number. Low serial number on an original condition rifle may add value, but maybe not.

If the gun is not in very good condition, it has little or no "collector" value. Collectors want pristine or rare guns. M54s have been out of production for a long time, but they made a bunch of them. They were largely ignored until fairly recently because of the bias towards their later siblings, the Model 70s.

Last edited by Scorch; March 17, 2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old March 17, 2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Nunya53

Thanks for the info, Scorch.....

It's been up there for a while and I guess for good reason.

Nun
Old March 17, 2017, 10:22 PM   #4
Scorch

I just looked on Gunbroker, and there are several Model 54 rifles on there, all well under the price you quoted. Guns International same thing, several at less than the price you quoted. And if I told you what I paid for mine, you would laugh at your local store's price.
Old March 18, 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Nunya53

I did the same, Scorch......

I now realize it is ridiculously overpriced, but if I told you it was a local Gander Mountain you would understand. It's no wonder they are filing bankruptcy.

Nunya
Old March 18, 2017, 12:59 PM   #6
dgludwig

Condition and value aside, that low serial number on the Model 54 is intriguing. You have to wonder where all that rifle has been since 1925...
Old March 25, 2017, 09:34 PM   #7
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
Condition and value aside, that low serial number on the Model 54 is intriguing.
It is the low S/N that caught my attention as well, but it is seriously overpriced. If I had a grand to throw away I might consider it but I don't....

Nunya
Old June 9, 2017, 07:03 PM   #8
Nunya53

An old thread, I know but they are going out of business. It is down to 700...anyone would like to offer their opinion of fair market value? Me, I'm thinking if I could get it for $500, it might be a good deal.

Thoughts?

Nunya
Old June 9, 2017, 08:05 PM   #9
dgludwig

I think it'd be a decent deal at $600.00, given that alluringly low serial number. But it's your money I'm fantasizing with.
Old June 10, 2017, 01:16 AM   #10
Pathfinder45

Tell them to keep trying to get what they can for it, but you absolutely can't afford to pay more than $400 for it; but here's your phone number in case they run out of other options and you have cash today unless you find another deal first that you can't pass up. Be polite about it, buy a box of 22 rimfire or two, and walk away if they will let you. Don't let them catch you looking back.
Old June 10, 2017, 06:14 AM   #11
jmr40

Depends on how bad you want it and if you're willing to let it get away. I still think it is overpriced, but someone else may well buy it out from under you. Ten years from now that price may seem like a bargain.

About 15 years ago I ran across a Smith 28 that just called my name. I paid about $75-$100 more than most people thought was a fair price. Today I could sell it for 3X what I paid. Granted, had I really shopped around I might have gotten one a little cheaper. But the extra money spent 15 years ago just doesn't seem so bad today.

Winston Churchill
Old June 10, 2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Nunya53

You are NOT helping, JMR40
Old June 12, 2017, 06:51 PM   #13
McShooty

Then it may also be unhelpful for you to know that, since the Mod 54 was the first rifle to be chambered in 270 WCF, you are not only looking at Win Model 54 #59, you are looking at 270 Winchester #59.
Old June 12, 2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Nunya53

All good points to buy it...It is located in the North Little Rock Gander Mountain....Someone please buy it before I'm (painfully) forced to buy it

Nunya
Old June 24, 2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Nunya53

In a moment (of all too common) weakness, I pulled the trigger so to speak. I couldn't let it get away. I will do what I can to get in touch with the boys out in Cody. I'll post a pic or three later if anyone is interested....

Nunya
Old June 24, 2017, 05:22 PM   #16
dgludwig

I'm interested. Very.
Old June 24, 2017, 10:16 PM   #17
Pathfinder45

Some people just gotta have everything brand new. I'm more the other way. There are no new rifles that would be anywhere near as interesting as that old Winchester to me. I probably wouldn't even put a scope on it; instead, a period-correct Lyman or Redfield aperture would look and shoot good without blocking the stripper-clip-slot. Now you gotta get some Springfield stripper-clips.
Old June 25, 2017, 03:18 PM   #18
Nunya53

Here is a quick cell phone photo of the receiver showing the s/n....

I'd consider sending it to Turnbull if I had a ballpark figure on what it would cost me. Anyone want to guess?

Nunya

Last edited by Nunya53; June 25, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old June 25, 2017, 08:41 PM   #19
dgludwig

I completely understand why you'd want to but, cost aside, I'd keep it original-"it's only original once", is the mantra of hard core collectors. And, if I understand where you're coming from in terms of buying this rifle, you bought it because it has some historical value and worth.
Old June 26, 2017, 04:28 PM   #20
Nunya53

Good input....after pulling the stock and hitting a couple of spots with some Flitz, I think it may be original finish. The stock is definitely beyond anything I want to mess with but other than that I will keep it as is and hunt occasionally with it. As someone mentioned, I may get a period peep sight for it.

I think I may have been incorrect on my initial assessment that the receiver had turned a plumb color...it definitely has changed over to a light browning color in spots so I need an expert to review...

Thanks for the input,

Nunya
Old June 26, 2017, 05:15 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
I may get a period peep sight for it.
Great idea, this. I'm a big fan of hunting with receiver sights. Though I prefer the Williams peeps (mostly because I've used them since the early sixties and am very familiar with their usage), older Redfields or Lymans might be more "period".

Does the stock have any checkering on it?
Old June 26, 2017, 05:50 PM   #22
Nunya53

Quote:
No, and it is very rough as in sanded and maybe a coat or two of linseed oil if I had to guess....I don't know...the grain of the wood is very "open"....

Nunya

Last edited by Nunya53; June 26, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old June 27, 2017, 11:01 AM   #23
dgludwig

The reason I asked is that the stock on your rifle indeed looks to have a lot of "open" grain (to be kind). Personally, I'm not so hung up on everything staying so bone-stock original that I wouldn't think about doing a little refinishing on the stock. It looks like it could suck up a quart of linseed oil.

Your call, of course, but I am interested in seeing what you do with the rifle-if anything.
Old June 27, 2017, 05:02 PM   #24
Nunya53

I'll keep this updated. I bought a 54 stock off eBay yesterday (not cheap) that I should have by the weekend.

Nunya
Old June 30, 2017, 05:42 PM   #25
Nunya53

Quote:
After closer inspection on the original stock, I can see slight traces of checkering on either side of the wrist but that's it.

Nunya