The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 7, 2017, 06:59 PM   #1
W2W

Marlin Original Golden 39A

Hello,
I am needing help finding a Carrier for an original 39A with out the crossbolt safety. The carrier is a one piece type with the spring and button in it so to speak.
Old March 7, 2017, 07:59 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Wisner's: 39A carrier
Be sure to get all necessary parts. That's just the carrier.

It may be worthwhile to check with Jack First, as well. The carrier won't be listed on the (new) website, so just call. In their books, a pre-CBS rifle will be 'old/early style'.
Again, unless specifically noted as a complete assembly, you'll get a bare carrier.
Old March 8, 2017, 09:45 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

At the very least this site has a good break-down Schematic of your 22.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/A.htm
Old March 14, 2017, 05:42 PM   #4
W2W

Thanks for the help fellas but I have already exhausted those avenues I have been smithing for about 20 yrs this is the one gun I can not seem to find parts for
Old March 14, 2017, 05:44 PM   #5
W2W

The carrier I am looking for is just one piece it is just like the one for the model with the crossbolt safety but the one I need is longer
Old March 16, 2017, 01:21 AM   #6
Wheels Up

FWIW up until a couple years ago I was doing repairs for a local gun shop. One of the other guys in the shop was repairing an old Marlin but I can't remember if it was a model 39 or a 39a. I think it was an older 39a. Marlin had changed the carrier to a newer style some time go. A working carrier of the older style was nowhere to be found and believe me, we looked for one for months. Apparently there are a good number of old Marlins out there in need of a new carrier. Anyway, one of the guys in the shop finally either repaired the old one or was able to modify the newer style carrier to work in the older rifle. I think he modified the new one. I'm sorry, I don't remember the details beyond this but unless you find a parts donor gun or someone has started to make an aftermarket replacement, I don't think you are going to find a working old style carrier from regular parts sources. Neither Gun Parts or Jack First had one at the time. Good Luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old March 17, 2017, 08:32 PM   #7
thickstrings

Maybe you could ask here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ri...-39a-stickies/ nothing but Marlins