The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Go/no go gauge rental experience

I made a command decision (and asked the wife for permission) to rebarrel and rechamber a savage 12. Rather than fork over $75 for gauges I will probably use a couple times if I'm lucky, renting seems like a good option. Do any members here have experience or reccomendations for a business that rents gauges?
Old June 22, 2019, 01:14 AM   #2
Scorch

I rent reamers and gauges from 4D Reamer Rentals, always got good service and sharp reamers.
Old June 22, 2019, 09:35 AM   #3
Nodak1858

Same here experience with 4D. Decent prices, all gauges and reamers i have rented have worked well.
Old June 22, 2019, 11:20 AM   #4
RC20

While I agree rent the reamer, the gauge can be simplified down to one.

Get the GO, add tape to the back if you want field reject variation.

I find mine come in handy from time to time
Old June 22, 2019, 11:35 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...Go/no go gauge..." You need the right one. They're called head space gauges. Along with 4D, Pacific Tool and Gauge rents 'em.
What cartridge are you going to? The diameter of the bolt is important too. So is the action length.
So is having the correct tools. Starting with a good solid work bench. Some Savage rifles are easier than others, but you may need a barrel vise and proper action wrench depending on the thing's age.
There's a reasonable how-to here.
https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...earned.182207/
Old June 22, 2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Thanks!

4D Reamer Rentals looks like the best outfit. Thanks for the help Scorch and Nodak!

T O'heir, thanks for the info. I have a Wheeler nut wrench,
an action vise, a good work bench, a bench vise, torque wrench. Changing from 22-250 to 204 Ruger. So short action. The magazine is not used as this rifle is always single shot. Replaced a Savage barrel successfully about 6 yrs ago, and it worked great. Numrich has the 223 Savage bolt head in stock. Thanks for the video link! If I encounter an obstacle I'll be here on TFL asking for help. Jim at Northland Shooters Supply gave me some tutoring before.

I am on my 3rd 204 Ruger, and have enjoyed all of them. 22-250 wears me down with the muzzle blast and recoil. It seems I never get tired using a 204. So, this barrel swap will give me a pair of Savages in 204.

Thanks again, for your willingness to help out.
Old June 22, 2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

RC20--I did that tape trick last rebarrel. Just bought the go gauge. It worked fine. Good suggestion, as either gauge or both can be rented. I figured that both gauges would be rented together. Saving $5 is good.
Old June 22, 2019, 07:55 PM   #8
std7mag

Colorado,
I'll agree with everyone so far on 4D.
Decent price, quick shipping, sharp reamers, good customer service!
Just make sure your ready to do it at the time you order.
Rental is for 1 week.
I know you don't have to, but i e-mail the tracking # when i ship back.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 23, 2019, 11:54 AM   #9
taylorce1

If it wasn't a 204 Ruger I'd loan you a set. I have gages in .223, .222 RM, and .308, the .222 RM might work but I don't know for sure. Someone with more knowledge than me can let you know for sure. I know some people use the parent cartridge go-gage for improved cartridges but you might be better off just renting.
Old June 23, 2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Colorado Redneck

Taylorc1
Thanks! Do you want a 22-250 go gauge? Used once.
Old June 24, 2019, 11:05 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Awesome of you taylorce1!
Old June 24, 2019, 01:43 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

I've used 4D and Pacific.
Pacific has better communication, but they don't seem to inspect the tools very well upon return or before shipping. I've been shipped two different crown cutter 'sets' that had broken, dull, chipped, or missing pieces. Luckily, those issues never impacted my own use of the tools, however. So, my only involvement was notifying Pacific that that tool had X issue(s), upon receipt.

4D is good, and I've never had a problem. I'm sure that it happens, but I've never had a problem. Always good condition reamers and tools.
But it bugs me slightly that there's no human element in standard transactions. It's like dealing with a vending machine:
Put your money in the robot. Tool shows up in mail. Robot sends an email reminder that your time is limited. Return tool to distant robot by dropping it in a mailbox. Robot says thank you a couple days later.

(I live one shipping day from 4D. So, the tools ship both ways quickly. I have to need the tool before I order it. Otherwise the tool has to be returned before I get to the job. )
Old June 26, 2019, 04:46 PM   #13
taylorce1

If anyone knows for sure if the .222 RM gage set will work for the .204 Ruger please let me know. The compatibility chart on PT&G web site said it was only good for the 6X47 Rem which is why I have them. Other than that I'd say get them from 4D, I've rented from them before and it was easy.
Old June 26, 2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Jim Watson

SAAMI drawing values differ.
.204 at 1.5613"
.222 Mag at 1.4925"
Old June 26, 2019, 08:03 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
.204 at 1.5613"
.222 Mag at 1.4925"
This ^^

Hornady/Ruger bumped the shoulder forward for more case capacity, and to take advantage of magazine length with the stubbier .20 caliber bullets.
Old June 26, 2019, 08:24 PM   #16
taylorce1

Thanks, I know I could have looked it up but I'm on the road and only have my phone.
Old June 27, 2019, 10:50 AM   #17
F. Guffey

Quote:
I made a command decision (and asked the wife for permission) to rebarrel and rechamber a savage 12. Rather than fork over $75 for gauges I will probably use a couple times if I'm lucky, renting seems like a good option. Do any members here have experience or reccomendations for a business that rents gauges?
As always I suggest a reloader learn to measure the length of a case from the datum to the case head. I suggest the reloader/smith learn to verify a gage. I suggest the reloader learn the functions of a tool and its abilities.

More times than not I start with a barrel with a short chamber, it must not matter to anyone else but I want to know 'how short?'. I want to know how far I have to ream to complete the chamber.

And I want to know the difference in length between the chamber and case when measured from the shoulder to the bolt face and the shoulder of the case from the shoulder to the case head.

F. Guffey

Head space gages are nice but not necessary.
Old July 11, 2019, 11:08 AM   #18
F. Guffey

Quote:
While I agree rent the reamer, the gauge can be simplified down to one.
Get the GO, add tape to the back if you want field reject variation.
I find mine come in handy from time to time
Why would the go-gage be a better choice? EVENTHOUGH the go gage can be modified to a go-to infinity gage I do not know of a member on any forum that can make the modification.

And then there is the tape; how much tape? and then there is the 'crush factor'.

I do not find it necessary to purchase them I do find the chamber length gage (from the datum to the bolt face) is useful as a transfer and as a standard. There is no substitute for the ability to verify.

F. Guffey
Old July 13, 2019, 09:20 AM   #19
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
Why would the go-gage be a better choice? EVENTHOUGH the go gage can be modified to a go-to infinity gage I do not know of a member on any forum that can make the modification.
There are probably several dozen who could cut the gauge in half, reface each cut, drill and tap a 1/4-40 hole in each, epoxy a 1/4-40 rod in one end, then wrap a label one half graduated with 25 marks like a mic thimble, then index mark the other half. Calibrate it with a GO gauge then each mark indicates a .0010" change as one half is twisted. A soft tip set screw on the adjustable thimble would hold it in place.

I am not a machinest nor tool and die maker.

Such adjustable headspace gauges were commercially available at one time.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old July 13, 2019, 10:57 AM   #20
F. Guffey

Quote:
I know, I posted information and location of a few that were in use but I deliberately altered the mane of the manufacturer; and then there was a rush to "GOOGLE". I was told by searchers they could only find manufacturers of other items under the name furnished.

I have 6 micrometers that would be easier to modify for a different purpose because of the diameter of the gages.. And then there is back to the modifying the go gage, I never knew it could be that complicated.

Quote:
Commercially available: I know all your friends had them but if the tool was common we would still be using them. And then there is RCBS with the the plastic version.

F. Guffey
Old July 13, 2019, 11:08 AM   #21
F. Guffey

Chamber reaming:

When I start to ream a chamber I find it necessary to start with short gages, that would be a gage that is shorter from the datum/shoulder to the case head than the length of a minimum length/full length sized case when measured from the datum/shoulder to the case head.

But for me? It is just as easy for me to start with a field reject length gage, or a no go-gage.

F. Guffey
Old July 13, 2019, 11:19 AM   #22
F. Guffey

Quote:
Rather than fork over $75 for gauges
Reloaders insist on using go-gages, if I live long enough I will install 5 barrels with 3 different chambers without a head space gage.

And that reminds me: Jimmy Dean kept his fans and customers informed; he asked them why did the chicken cross the road.

No one knew the answer so he educated them; he informed his fans and customers the chicken crossed the road to show the opossum it could be done.

F. Guffey
Old July 13, 2019, 01:06 PM   #23
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
Commercially available: I know all your friends had them but if the tool was common we would still be using them. And then there is RCBS with the the plastic version.
None of my friends had an adjustable headspace gauge.

RCBS has never made a plastic headspace gauge.
Old July 14, 2019, 03:31 PM   #24
F. Guffey

Quote:
When I start to ream a chamber I find it necessary to start with short gages, that would be a gage that is shorter from the datum/shoulder to the case head than the length of a minimum length/full length sized case when measured from the datum/shoulder to the case head.
When it comes to renting and or borrowing a gage for a short chamber I would be out of luck. I have access to 250+ reamers and I have 64 of my own; when it comes to measuring the length of the chamber from the datum to the bolt face I have no problem making them.

And then there are ways to measure the length of the chamber without a head space gage.

F. Guffey
Old July 14, 2019, 04:21 PM   #25
4V50 Gary
Staff

F. Guffey - care to start a thread on headspace w/out a gauge?