The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 29, 2004, 08:45 PM   #1
DanV1317

IDPA Beginner Gun?

So i'm only 19 years old and i would like to get into competition shooting. around my area i beleive is mainly IDPA shooting. I now shoot an brand new but old ruger p85 9mm. not a competition gun i know but i got it free. I am looking to purchase a gun that i can use for competition which would in the range from about 400-550$. What kind of advice can you guys give me on a IDPA legal gun and one maybe one that will be legal for mainly all other types of competition shooting. I am totally new to this so if any of my info is off let me know. thanks.
Dan
Old August 29, 2004, 09:49 PM   #2
GaryXD

Here are two totally different answers:
1. Glock 9mm seems to be extremely popular in IDPA Stock Service Pistol division.
2. Use the gun you plan on using to defend yourself.
Old August 29, 2004, 11:00 PM   #3
fyrestarter

Exactly....figure out which gun you'd carry for defensive purposes, and shoot that. I've been using my G-17 Limited race gun, and I end up having to strip various parts off before an IDPA match. I went out, bought a G-23 in .40 caliber, put some new sights on, and voila, I now have a pistol I can use strictly for IDPA. Total cost of Glock 23 with new fiber optic sights: $450. The bonus of course, is that the G-23 makes an excellent everyday carry piece as well...

Of course, you can always sink a paycheck into a match barrel, trigger job, flat-wound springs, but in your case, spend the extra money on a good holster and ammo.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old August 30, 2004, 07:23 AM   #4
Jim Watson

"like to"?
"believe"?
Find out.
Then go shooting with the gun you have got. Don't spend money before you find out what is actually going on and whether you like it.

Ruger P85 is not a first choice, but it is allowable for IDPA Stock Service Pistol and is most likely reliable and accurate enough for the targets and ranges involved. You are probably not going to beat it for $500 anyhow. I know there aren't any $450 Glocks like fyrestarter brags about around here.

You will need a minimum of three magazines, a strong side straight draw holster, magazine carriers (one double or two singles), eye protection, ear protection, and a cover garment (A large shirt, BDU top, or jacket long enough to cover your rig is fine, no need for a tactical photographer's vest yet.)

Practice dryfire so you can make a safe draw from under that concealment garment.

Go to a shoot, preferably with an adult, it is probably not lawful for a 19 year old to be wandering around with a pistol in your jurisdiction, tell the MD (Match Director, not doctor) that you are a new shooter then PAY ATTENTION and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD.
Old August 30, 2004, 12:37 PM   #5
fyrestarter

Quote:
I know there aren't any $450 Glocks like fyrestarter brags about around here
Uh, there are hundreds of Glocks available for $450 and under.

CDNNinvestments.com sells them for as low as $379.

I got mine as a "refurbished" police model from a friend at a gun store with two hi-caps for $400 and added the sights later.

If you really want something, you just have to know how and where to look.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old August 30, 2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Like I said, not around here.
I have been badly bitten on mailorder second hand guns but if you want to order a pig in a poke, that is OK by me.

But that is $450 that Dan does not need to spend right now. He has an acceptable gun and he ought to be out there shooting it.
Old August 31, 2004, 01:07 PM   #7
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

It is good to spend money on guns, but if you have only one gun, and it is a gun allowed by the rules of IDPA, shoot it! You can always go out and buy something else if the Ruger turns out not to be what you want, but a lot of people do carry those, including Mas Ayoob (who, even if many here would question his advice at times, has unquestionable competitive shooting skills, along with the record to prove it.)
Old August 31, 2004, 06:05 PM   #8
Handy

I'm with Don. You can win an SSP match with a P85 - there's nothing wrong with that gun. Try it.
Old August 31, 2004, 11:51 PM   #9
liliysdad

$450.oo will buy you an awful nice Glock here....325-375 is the norm for a factory refurb.
Old September 4, 2004, 06:19 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Lucky fellow

Sounds like you already own the perfect 'beginners' gun.

Suggest adding a few high-quality magazines, and all drawn from some inexpensive Uncle Mikes beltwear.

FWIW, my IPSC club has one extremely competitive shooter using a 9x19 Ruger (think he competed in last years' Nationals with it); IMNSLE shooter is far more important than tool.
Old September 4, 2004, 09:53 PM   #11
oops

For 550 bucks you can buy a new Springfield XD or CZ75 plus holster, extra magazine and mag carriers. I just started shooting IDPA and have been using my CZ but I plan on switching over to my XD.
9mm.........- H&K USP, CZ 75b, SigSauer P225 ------- Me and my first guns
Old September 5, 2004, 11:03 PM   #12
faustulus

Like everyone said, try it with what you have, then watch others and see what they are using. If you see something you like see if the owner will let you shoot it. Competition shooters are almost unequvicially the friendliest people on earth and won't hesitate to let you try their latest pee shooter. As for a suggestion, it would be hard to beat a CZ 75 for the money you are talking about, and you can compete in either ESP or SSP. A glock would be a good choice as well. But try it out, you might find another you like better.

ultima ratio regum
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Old September 6, 2004, 01:22 PM   #13
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I think eet eez per'aps posseeble you mean "pea shooter," mon frere. Otherwise, your meaning could perhaps be mistaken, no?

Those grips are great, by the way, Faustulus. Thanks again.
Old September 7, 2004, 12:08 AM   #14
faustulus

Quote:
I think eet eez per'aps posseeble you mean "pea shooter," mon frere. Otherwise, your meaning could perhaps be mistaken, no?
It's funnier my way
See: Freud

p.s. glad you like 'em.

ultima ratio regum
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Old October 11, 2004, 07:08 PM   #15
Litlman

I picked up a CZ 75 BD last year for $339 and an 85 combat for $450. I have an Uncle Mikes Holster to try out for IDPA for about $25. I just need a couple mag holders or a double one. I also need the time to hit my first match. If I get in to it I will pick up a good rig. But to start out I don't have too much $ invested. Good luck and enjoy.

Litlman...