The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Longshot4

FN 5.7x28 need a bolt action

I seen a cartridge that I would like to see in a bolt gun. Its a center fire bottle neck shorter than a Hornet. It would make a nice little varmint rifle. As a center fire it could be tuned for accuracy and it could be fun to shoot. Squirrel hunters... would love it. What do you think?
Old September 15, 2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a custom contender barrel for one...

I think there are AR variations also chambered...

The cartridge fired through FN guns are a bugger to reload, as the shoulder moves almost a 1/8"... fire in my Contender, they are super easy to reload... the bolt action would be also...

I put a fast twist ( 1 in 9" barrel ) on my Ruger 77 Hornet, & chambered it in 22 K Hornet... about the same...
Old September 15, 2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Longshot4

So you purchased a new barrel with 1-9 twist for the Ruger 77 K Hornet. What weight pills dose it like. My Ruger 77 K Hornet is ready for some load testing. I will be testing Sierra 40gr. Hornet and HP booth flat base. I finely found a way to seat the flat base without crushing necks. I have a sharper angle inside chamfering tool and a gentle tap tap tap to get the bullets to seat. I floated the barrel and re shimmed the bolt hopefully I will se the fliers go away. How do you like the 5.7 in the Contender? Dose it shoot well?
Old September 15, 2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

yes, I bought a stainless 223 barrel blank with a 1 in 9" twist... ( I have a revolver with a matching twist barrel also, though I've not reamed the revolver chambers to K hornet... yet )

I've not loaded much K Hornet yet, still firing forming mostly... I started with the rifle & revolver in regular Hornet, & even the 6" revolver stabilizes 68 - 69 Grain bullets in a conventional Hornet case, with safe pressures...

I'm hoping to get back to 36 - 40 grain Hornet velocities with the K Hornet case & the slippery 68 grain bullets

BTW... there is a shortened 223 case pistol round out there that would likely be better than the 5.7 in a bolt rifle...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 16, 2014 at 06:07 AM.