The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 1999, 01:00 PM   #1
cornered rat

I was recently invited to act as a backup to a bow-hunter. He would like to take a black bear with his bow, I would tag along with my .303 to keep him from becoming bear-lunch if he fails.

I do not think that trusting me on this is a good idea. However, I realized I would like to try hunting, small game to start with, deer later.

I realized that I lack any idea as to where to find game, when and where it is legal to hunt and what to do with the critter if and when I succeed.

Could any Minnesotans on TFL clue me in on these questions? Also, would anyone like to take a complete neophite along next time they go hunting?

------------------
Cornered "but cheery" Rat
http://ddb.com/RKBA Updated March 20

Old March 25, 1999, 02:56 PM   #2
cornered rat

Better, yet, can the Minnesotans on this list suggest where I can walk around and plink that is not too far from Minneapolis (I have one place, currently, 4 1/2 hrs away)?
Old March 25, 1999, 05:24 PM   #3
Mendocino

Mr. Rat,

I would be very surprised if you could legally have a firearm in the field while your friend is hunting during the archery season. The state Game management agency in Minnesota would probably confiscate your .303, remove your hunting privelege for at least five years, and take away your birthday.

Regards...
Old March 25, 1999, 05:33 PM   #4
cornered rat

Actually, he plans to go during the rifle season. His object is to challenge himself...but not to become bear food if he overestimates his skill with the bow.
He normally hunts bear, deer, elk and boar with 30-30 and a 45-70 carbine, just wants to try something different.
Old March 25, 1999, 07:10 PM   #5
bear

CR, be carefull, if you shoot that bear you'll be killing one of my friends...grin
actually I think if you don't have a bear license and you shoot one, your in big trouble, better check with the DNR first.
The few bear hunters I know carry handguns as backup but don't know if that's ok or not.
why don't you try one of the game farms for pheasants? a dog is nice, but you can still flush them with out one. try to stay away from the public hunting lands close to the cities, some pretty loosely wound people there. may not have to drive 4.5 hrs but a couple hours wouldn't hurt.
Don't do much hunting around here anymore but if we head for one of the game farms I'll let ya know. most of my hunting is in S. Dakota
shooting prairie dogs. Burnsville range is having a IPSC style fun shoot soon, maybe ya want to come?? you'll have to call for details, I'm at work now so I don't know when it is. stay well and shoot safe.