The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2018, 06:52 PM   #1
konstan

Powder measures

So, I reloaded some .38 and it was a blast, even though I had to measure the powder using the scale every time. It was easy because 90% of the time the Lee scoop had just about the exact weight that I was trying to measure out.

I am going to move on to loading .270 and I am thinking that measuring 50+ grains of powder that way is going to suck.

So, I am thinking powder measure.

I don't care if its cartridge activated, I don't mind pushing a button. I would prefer if it works like a funnel i.e. does not require a special charging die.

Given those constraints, what do you guys like?
Old June 26, 2018, 07:25 PM   #2
BBarn

If you plan to use a spherical powder, a stand alone powder measure might throw consistent charges for the 270. But most of those powder measures don't throw the long extruded stick powders very consistently.

I find myself weighing each charge when loading rifle cartridges with extruded stick powders. I set up my RCBS Uniflow or Hornady L-N-L powder measure to throw about a grain short and use a powder trickler to dribble in the remainder of the charge into the scale pan while watching for the desired weight. When the desired charge is reached, I dump the powder from the scale pan through a funnel into the primed case.

The above assumes you aren't trying to charge the cases on a progressive or turret press. If you are using one of those, you'll need a powder thru die at a minimum.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:25 PM   #3
McCarthy

It depends on your budget.

I always opt for the "buy once, cry once" version by buying high quality, US made reloading equipment.

Whatever you do, I strongly suggest staying away from the RCBS Chargemaster. They have a couple of serious design flaws and have never been developed to meter smokeless powder to begin with. They are made in China and sold over there as medical devices for substances that don't eat through the plastic of the Chargemaster like double based gun powder does.

When it comes to general reloading on a single stage press or turret, I use one of my Redding powder measures. They are very precise, extremely well made and Redding customer service is on par if not better than Dillon's.

For pistol charges I suggest the Redding Competition 10X-Pistol and Small Rifle Powder Measure.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...powder-measure

For rifle charges I would suggest the Redding 3 Powder Measure with Universal Metering Chamber:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...tering-chamber

They offer an optional stand that easily attaches to any desk or bench with C-clams or screws.

Here is one of mine, mounted right between my UltraMag and my T-7 (on the other side of the chair).

Old June 26, 2018, 08:20 PM   #4
konstan

+1 for buy once cry once. I don't want to end up disappointed I am quite ok with off-press charging.

My press is a Lee Classic Turret. I can use it manual index or turret index, I have done it both ways and can make it work both ways for myself.
Old June 26, 2018, 08:58 PM   #5
McCarthy

The mentioned "Redding 3 Powder Measure with Universal Metering Chamber" goes down to 5 gr, hence will cover most pistol charges. At $139 that's not too much money for a high quality product made in the US.

If you ever decide to put the measure on a turret, you can use the Hornady linkage and powder through die.

Here is one of my Hornady measures on my T-7 turret. You can also get this Hornady measures, but it will need some optional parts (micrometer, small charge drum) and a thorough cleaning of all parts (it's full with gunky oil making powder stick and charges inaccurate) before it works properly.

That Hornady linkage works also great on my Dillons:

Old June 26, 2018, 09:12 PM   #6
603Country

I use a Lyman 55 for pistol and a Lyman 1200 DPS2 electronic unit for rifle. Both work great. I’ve had the Lyman 55 for about 40 years and the electronic unit for maybe 7 years (give or take). And from people I consider very knowledgeable, I hear that the RCBS Chargemaster is an excellent unit.
Old June 26, 2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

It depends on the powder. For spherical powders the Benchrest folks like Culver and Harrel. For stick powder, hands down, the JDS Quick Measure, IME.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 26, 2018, 10:01 PM   #8
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603Country View Post
I use a Lyman 55 for pistol and a Lyman 1200 DPS2 electronic unit for rifle. Both work great. I’ve had the Lyman 55 for about 40 years and the electronic unit for maybe 7 years (give or take). And from people I consider very knowledgeable, I hear that the RCBS Chargemaster is an excellent unit.

Do you own a Chargemaster? No? I do. This is how it looked like after being used just a few times. And yes, that is engrained and doesn't even come out when scraped with a screw driver.

Lets talk about its accuracy. Dispensed 4.0gr.

The Chargemaster is off by 0.162gr at 4.0gr. This goes both ways, all the time.

Granted most don't realize that, because most don't own a certified calibrated balance.

Last edited by McCarthy; June 27, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old June 26, 2018, 10:08 PM   #9
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
It depends on the powder. For spherical powders the Benchrest folks like Culver and Harrel. For stick powder, hands down, the JDS Quick Measure, IME.
Now if we want to talk about serious handloading, a proper lab grade scale and the Omega Trickler are the only true options, weighting down to the very last and single grain.

Old June 26, 2018, 10:34 PM   #10
mikld

Wow, lots of top of the line ($$$) powder masures (push button automatic machines). For a new reloader just about any major brand, hand operated, drum type, stand alone powder measure will do quite well. No powder measure will meter all powders 100% as some powders just don't meter well and some are .1 grain repeatable. (Lee Haters avert your eyes!) I have had 2 Lee Perfect Powder Measures and found them to be pretty accurate, repeatable as most drum type measures. I have a very nice C-H powder measure ($$$) that works quite well, but my PPM is nearly as accurate across the board (I did hold +/- .1 gr of W231 several times). Since you now dip and weigh, it's no big deal to measure light and trickle up. My bst advice for a new reloader is K.I.S.S....
Old June 26, 2018, 10:54 PM   #11
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Wow, lots of top of the line ($$$) powder masures (push button automatic machines). For a new reloader just about any major brand, hand operated, drum type, stand alone powder measure will do quite well. No powder measure will meter all powders 100% as some powders just don't meter well and some are .1 grain repeatable. (Lee Haters avert your eyes!) I have had 2 Lee Perfect Powder Measures and found them to be pretty accurate, repeatable as most drum type measures. I have a very nice C-H powder measure ($$$) that works quite well, but my PPM is nearly as accurate across the board (I did hold +/- .1 gr of W231 several times). Since you now dip and weigh, it's no big deal to measure light and trickle up. My bst advice for a new reloader is K.I.S.S....

The 2 C-H powder measures are $55 and $100. That's far from being expensive. With all due respect, put the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is a low quality tool, made of cheep materials, with mediocre reviews. It is known to leak powder all the time.

Here a few quotes:

"Junk!"
"Not Good"
"NOT VERY ACCURATE!!!!"
"Imperfect"
"cheaply made junk"
"Dont waste your money"
"I would not buy this product again"
"Another Dissappointment from Lee"
"Absolutely the worst ..."

Read yourself:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...owder-measure#

And then compare to the Redding measure:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...ering-chamber#

And yes, the Redding can do (depending on powder much) better than +-0.1gr.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:53 AM   #12
Kevin Rohrer

Yet another oft-asked and answered question.

Here is one of the nine powder measures I use for small loadings, a B&M clone.

Vega Tools

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 27, 2018, 07:28 AM   #13
hounddawg

I have been taking to throwing all of my accuracy loads with a powder measure then trickling to weight on a beam scale. Once you get into a routine they be fairly accurate and fast. I have found pretty much all powder measures operate the same. You use one or more adjustment screws to vary the volume of a cylinder which you rotate with a lever to dump the cylinder of powder into a pan. There will be differences in fit and finish but that is it. None are any more accurate than plus or minus .1 grains

I have 2 Lee powder measures and a Hornady that I use regularly. As pointed out above the Lees can leak fine grained powder but all it takes to fix is tightening a screw. Lee measures are cheap enough where if you only load 3 or four loads you can set one up for each load and never adjust it again. They are also the kindest and gentlest on stick powder that use the rotating cylinder design

One of the best designs is the Lyman 55, pretty much unchanged for 50 years and still a best seller says something.

What it all boils down to is how much do you want to spend. If you want pretty get yourself a Harrel or Culver. They are gorgeous in fit and finish and work great. The little plastic Lee will do the same thing just as accurately but won't look as good as that polished brass and aluminum.

The only notable exception from the basic rotating cylinder design is the Johnson Quick Measure. Supposedly it handles stick beautiful with no cutting of kernels.

https://www.quick-measure.com/

some good reading

http://reloadingpresso.com/best-powder-measure/

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/the-be...ucts-reviewed/

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...owder-measure/

hope this helps

Last edited by hounddawg; June 27, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:31 AM   #14
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg
None are any more accurate than plus or minus .1 grains

That statement is not correct. My 10 X pistol Redding hopper has a measured spread of only 0.02gr with #2.

Last edited by McCarthy; June 27, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:40 AM   #15
McCarthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
Here is one of the nine powder measures I use for small loadings, a B&M clone.

Vega Tools

Aren't they long out of production?
Old June 27, 2018, 07:50 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

When I was reloading rifle cartridges with IMR stick powders I did most of it with an RCBS Uniflow. More than accurate enough for what I was doing. The great thing about IMR powders is that they are INCREDIBLY forgiving to variations in charge weight.

Over the past 30 years virtually all of my reloading has been for handgun, and most of that has been done with a Lee Pro Auto Disk on top of Lee turret presses. Using ball powders like WW 231 or WW 296 it is INCREDIBLY accurate and repeatable.

With flake powders like Unique and Red Dot not so much.

I also have a Belding and Mull measure that is also extremely accurate, and with flake powders like Unique more accurate than the Lee.

Were I to be loading more rifle cartridges than I do (about 100 in the past 10 years) I'd seriously consider one of the electronic measures/scales/dispensers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:11 AM   #17
daboone

I've got a collection of 11 different mechanical PMs, Hornady, 55, Dillon, Quick Measure, B&M, Little Dandy, Harrells and every one of Lee's. The Lee's Classic (now called the Deluxe) is my go to PM for single stage use. It's micrometer is easy to read and is based on VDM, Once the VDM is determined, for a specific powder, it fast and easy to set up for repeatable consistant drops for flake, ball and extruded powders. Of all my PMs the Lee Classic or Deluxe it is the most versatile (it's chokes with stick powder of bigger than IMR4350) but is amazing with IMR or H4895).

Determining VDM: https://www.titanreloading.com/powde...md-explanation
Old June 27, 2018, 08:16 AM   #18
hounddawg

Quote:
That statement is not correct. My 10 X pistol Redding hopper has a measured spread of only 0.02gr with #2
the Redding uses the same rotating cylinder with a adjustable chamber design as the Hornady, RCBS, Frankford Aresenal, Culver, Harrel, and Lee Perfect. Any of them is more accurate on ball and flake than they are with stick but if you are being truthful then you have the only mechanical measure in the world that is that is that is more accurate than .1 for repeated charges

Last edited by hounddawg; June 27, 2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:25 AM   #19
daboone

I've got a collection of 11 different mechanical PMs, Hornady, 55, Dillon, Quick Measure, B&M, Little Dandy, Harrells and every one of Lee's. The Lee's Classic (now called the Deluxe) is my go to PM for single stage use. It's micrometer is easy to read and is based on VDM, Once the VDM is determined, for a specific powder, it fast and easy to set up for repeatable consistant drops for flake, ball and extruded powders. Of all my PMs the Lee Classic or Deluxe it is the most versatile (it's chokes with stick powder of bigger than IMR4350) but is amazing with IMR or H4895).

Determining VDM: https://www.titanreloading.com/powde...md-explanation
Old June 27, 2018, 08:46 AM   #20
CLYA

I use a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500, and it looks nothing like the problematic ChargeMaster shown in the above pics, with embedded powder scaling. Mine is perfectly clean. I do dump remaining powder, everytime I use it. It's had so many different brands of powder through it, that I no longer keep a mental track. It's all on paper, when needed.

As to accuracy, it's gets right down, to where my Redding beam scale does, also comparing to two other electronic scales I have. If it didn't, I wouldn't be using it.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:51 AM   #21
zeke

Am using a uniflow for most all reloading. Have a Redding BR for smaller pistol charges outside the uniflow's capability. The uniflow meets most my needs, and weigh the precision rifle charges that use stick powders. Part of the reason am using ball powder for 223/308, which I do not weigh individual charges. Doesn't mean there aren't a lot better way of doing things, or other more precise measures. Now adays am content to spend more time shooting, than experimenting or buying/trying new expensive equipment. Will leave that to others.

Last edited by zeke; June 27, 2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:54 AM   #22
burrhead

Quote:
If you are being truthful then you have the only mechanical measure in the world that is that is that is more accurate than .1
Both my 40 year old Uniflo and Hornady dispensers throw almost perfect weights using BE, Titegroup, or any ball powder. Extruded and Unique (flammable dirt) not so much.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:10 AM   #23
pete2

I actually use a measure for pistol, I shoot a lot more handgun than rifle. I use the Lee scoops for rifle if using stick powder, IMR 4831 to be exact. My RCBS Uniflo measure works well with CFE 223 powder and most other ball powders.
I'd really hate to weigh pistol loads, it would take for ever to load just a couple hundred.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:17 AM   #24
hounddawg

Quote:
Both my 40 year old Uniflo and Hornady dispensers throw almost perfect weights using BE, Titegroup, or any ball powder.
As I stated the Lee classic, RCBS, Lyman, Harrel or any of the rotating cylinder designs work well enough with either fine ball or flake that give a consistent volume. It is the courser powders and stick that give them fits due to the basic design.

I use dual Uncle Nicks powder baffles in my Hornady . The baffles templates are free and can be found with a search engine. With a weight on top of the powder column and a routine which includes two taps before throwing and most of my throws on a Horandy are within .1 or .2 using stick powder. I set my throws .2 light then trickle up but even set low it will occasionally throw one over because even with the baffles and a consistent routine a stick will jam it up and cause me to overthrow. TAC, CFE .223, Bullseye, and Win 231 are almost always within .1.
Old June 27, 2018, 09:30 AM   #25
Rifletom

I've been using my RCBS Uniflow for years for handgun loads. Small drum and baffle really makes things flow real nice.
Kevin Rohrer, I spied "Pet Loads" on your shelf. To this day, that is still a great read.