The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2010, 03:47 PM   #1
TheBigO

Sparks From 9mm Load

Just a quick question, I am getting quite a bit of un-burnt powder from my 9mm loads. This is producing some unwanted sparks. I am getting the same issue from both my Glock 19 and XDM 9mm. I am using Alliant unique with Montana Gold 115 grain bullets. Would a slightly tighter crimp help the problem? Any answers ?
Old February 15, 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Nomadicone

Tighter crimp may help but it depends on how tight your crimp already is. Don't over crimp. More likely it is the type of powder. Unique is not one of the fastest burning powders. You might try a faster burning powder. However, if it was me I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Old February 15, 2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Shoney

Nomadicone gave a very good answer!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 15, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
StrawDog

I had similar issues with loading bullseye in 9mm with 125 gr RMR. Sparks & and dirt galore. A friend recommended universal clays. I switched with good results. Also recommended WSF but I have not tried yet. In either case the bottom line is you probably need a faster burning powder.

As far as the crimp goes here is what I did to test mine. I took apart a couple of factory loads with my impact bullet puller to develop a feel for what it takes to losen a foctory crimp. Then I loaded a few without powder or primer and pounder them out. I achived similar results from the start. So in my experience my crimp was ok but the powder was burning slow.

Good luck
Old February 15, 2010, 05:59 PM   #5
longranger

Set your crimp die by placing a Factory round in the shell holder raise into the seating/crimping die until it matches the factory setting(when the die stops screwing down).Then set your bullet depth by screwing down the seater plug until it stops on the bullet.You will match what the factory specs. are.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:46 PM   #6
TheBigO

thanks for the input, I was trying to go with a powder that would both get me by on .45acp rounds and 9mm. I think that I will have to try a faster powder. I am already crimping to where I think I need to be.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Nomadicone

I like TightGroup in those two calibers but there are many others. Again however, unless I'm missing something there is no real problem with a few a few live coals coming out the business end. Look at any still photos of USPSA/IPSIC shooters just as the bullet exits the muzzle and you will see a flame thrower.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:24 PM   #8
the foot

No problem. I load Unique behind Remington 115gr JHP a lot, and the result is always some unburnt powder. When I use Bullseye and Win231, no unburnt powder.
Old February 15, 2010, 07:51 PM   #9
Shoney

After many years, I settled on UNIVERSAL Clays for my 9X18, 9X19, 40SW, and 45ACP. It meters soooooo much better than Unique.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 15, 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
bullspotter

I use unique with all my handgun loads, 9, 40, 45, 38 and 357 with a wide range of bullets, Always get some unburnt powder, but it dosnt seem to build up in any of my guns. Meaning they dont seem to get overly dirty.