The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2006, 03:56 PM   #1
keebo52

Best source for pulldown bulk powder

I've been reloading for 30+ years but have never used pulldown rifle powder. My eyesight has limited my handgun shooting and now I'm shooting mostly rifle ammo. My wallet needs a break from the high cost of the commercial stuff! You get A LOT more bang out of a pound of Bullseye than a pound of 4895. What kind of results have you had with bulk pulldown powder and what is the best source for purchase?
Old September 7, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2
esheato

I don't use pulldown propellants, but I hear a lot of people talking about this place: www.gibrass.com

Ed
Old September 7, 2006, 02:38 AM   #3
rg1

1. http://gibrass.com/
2. http://www.wideners.com/index.cfm
3.http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm
4.http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html
Wideners sells some military surplus powder and PowderValley has some good prices on powder. Both Bartletts and Pats are great to deal with. Just remember with military surplus and pulldown powders you have to work up each individual lot as different lots CAN have different burning rates. Surplus powders and particularly some types are getting scarcer. Buy as much of the surplus powder as you can and that will last you for a good while so you won't have to work up loads when switching lot numbers. I've had good luck with powder from Bartletts and Pats. I've loaded WC860, WC844, 5010, and IMR4895 for 50 cal.,.223 and 30-06 and have had no problems however I have made the mistake of not buying enough of one lot and have had to work up loads too many times. I have gotten slightly different results from different lots of 4895 and 844. Not much difference but some. You need to make the call as to whether it's worth saving the money buying surplus and if you want to buy 8 lbs. of new cannister powder for $110-$120 or surplus for $80 for example.
Old September 7, 2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Thesenator

I've used a lot of pulldown powder from www.gibrass.com both pistol and rifle stuff. Just got an order in the other day of 4475 and WC820.

The 4475 will be used for 7.62 NATO and .223 and the WC820 is for M1 carbine, also good for .357mag and .44mag.

Previously I have used HPC-1(wish I'd bought more before he ran out), HPC-18, WC846, 700X, all from him and with great results.

You won't go wrong dealing with Jeff Bartlet, the savings on pulldown powders are substantial....and as posted above....make sure you buy enough.
Old September 7, 2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Crosshair

I buy from gibrass.com. Fast and easy to work with.
Old September 7, 2006, 08:50 PM   #6
keebo52

Thanks for the responses. Today I ordered a jug of WC844 from Jeff at gibrass.com. I have around 1500 .223 brass prepped and ready to load. I don't have a problem working up loads and once I get the magic formula, I can load up a bunch that will last me for a while. These loads will be used primarily for varments at less than 100 yrds and plinking. I can't wait to give it a try.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:27 AM   #7
ForneyRider

Not seeing the reason behind the military powder. It is the same price as commercial powder at around 100$/8lbs plus hazmat and shipping.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
zxcvbob

Quote:
Not seeing the reason behind the military powder. It is the same price as commercial powder at around 100$/8lbs plus hazmat and shipping.
It used to be a bargain. In the past year (while this thread was dormant) the price has risen dramatically to almost match commercial canister powders, and very recently the supply of surplus powder has pretty much totally dried up.

I did manage to snag 16 pounds of surplus AA#7 for $7 per pound a couple of months ago. It was less than $9 per pound delivered and it shoots great. Alas, it is also no longer available. I wish I had bough 32 pounds; then the shipping would have been cheaper too and brought the price down to about $8 per.