The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 17, 2015, 10:05 AM   #26
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Is the army issued 47-70 another one of your "facts"? Any references you can provide a link to? You may find it beneficial to do a little more research on that "fact".
I'm not sure why the insulting snark was necessary...

In FACT, the 45-70 was used by the US Army and other US military forces for over 20 years.

The 45-70 was developed at the Springfield Armory for use in the Springfield Model 1873. That's why the round is also called the "45-70 Government," because it was developed by the federal government for use by federal government military forces.

The original round was the 45-70-405 (.45 caliber, 70 grains of black powder, 405 grain bullet). Later it was changed to the 45-70-500.

The original 1873 Springfield rifle was upgraded with a heavier breech block in 1884. The 45-70 trapdoor Springfield rifle was the principle rifle issued to US Army troops until 1893.

The Marines, Navy, and National Guard used the 45-70 as their primary rifle until 1897.

The 45-70 is still in use by the Navy and Coast Guard with blank cartridges and break-open, single shot rifles for line throwing guns.

If you'd like a reference, I'd suggest you read, The .45-70 Springfield: Springfield caliber .58, .50, .45 and .30 breech loaders in the U.S. service, 1865-1893.

FWIW...I've owned a Marlin M1895 45-70 since 1981...and I have carried it for self defense.

A word of advice. If you're old enough to own and use a computer, you're old enough to use a search engine. Before you feel the need to insultingly berate people, it may behoove you to do a little research on your own instead of demanding people force-feed you factual information.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; November 17, 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:42 AM   #27
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
If that's a "given fact" then why don't we all carry S&W 500's or .44 Auto-Mags as our defensive weapon of choice?
You know...you really need to evaluate the situation and choose the "defensive weapon of choice" for the specific requirements.

I sometimes carry a .460 S&W or a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 Magnum as the "defensive weapon of choice" when I'm in parts of Idaho and Montana. Anything less and you can run into situation where you're under gunned.

The problem with these forums is that people seem to focus only on self-defense against another human as the ONLY defensive situation, when in fact, a self-defense situation is not a one-size-fits-all, single answer.

That's why I own other handguns and a variety of rifles and shotguns...each one is a tool that has been picked for a specific use.

You wouldn't catch me wandering around certain forest areas in northern Montana or Idaho carrying my SIG P938 as it's a pea shooter against the anticipated threat.

I would suggest that the best tool (gun) is the one that will best meet the requirements of the user for stopping the anticipated threat.
Old November 17, 2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Brit

Quote:
As a result the vast majority of our students’ shootings have involved two-handed eye level shooting and as a result the hit ratio is running around 95%.
Tom Givens choose to put the horse before the cart! How amazing, he studied gun fight results (looking at the winners) as apposed to the killed in action results, uniformed no less!

Great article.

Back in the dark ages of Security/Armed Guards on Armored vehicles training, in Ontario Canada.

1980 to be exact, the Police Firearms Instructors, where the people who trained Private Security, why? Well they always had, always did.

I took one of these classes, and was shocked, no holsters, too dangerous, start with .22 caliber, when that was mastered, .38 Spl. from the bench only, at a Community College range, 148g wad cutters, very mild recoil, no speed reloaders either.

Off I went, to see the Staff Sgt. in charge of this kind of stuff, in the OPP, Ontario Provincial Police Staff Sgt. Bill Joyce.

To the question "Why can I not teach this program?" He did not know.

So we came up with a course of action, I could teach, Pro Tem, for two months, then he would send two of his Constables to monitor a class.

Due to my rented range being indoor, only room for 4 students across, class size would be set at 8 or less.
I too studied gun fights, just in the Private Gun carrying group, Bank/ATM/Armored Car/Armed Security Officers.

I had to cast far and wide, not much in the way of real life shoot outs.

First point, all started with holstered hand guns. Next, close, real close distances. People who shot "From the hip" missed.

The G license training here in Florida, still have a component "From the hip"

To keep my training to a simple, easily followed/remembered program, on the draw, always fire twice (double tap) eye level, both eyes open, after 6 rounds had been expended, speed loader reloads then back to sight picture, I supplied all revolvers, and two speed loaders.
Once they came back for the once a year mandated re-training, all duty gear, in uniform.

The two as promised Constables, arrived, in suits, armed with 2.5" S&W 6 shot revolvers. Plus two speed loaders (and a writing pad!) you will not need that I said, pointing at the pad.

Using my reloads, just shy of Plus p, and their own gear, they joined the 6 others, and shot along with them. They looked over the sights! By around 8". All shots at max range of 15m, were 1' low! Using a S&W 65, with no cylinder, or crane, I taught sight picture from the muzzle end! Instant gratification.

Their boss told me they had learned more in 6 hours, than 20 years of their Police training. Yes I got my permission, for 25 years.

Last edited by Brit; November 18, 2015 at 05:31 AM.