The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 6, 2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Damon555

I solved a major problem that's been bothering me for a while

I have been shuffling handguns around from case to case in order to take what I felt like shooting that day to the range.....This was getting old so I got the bright idea (not really mine) of trying a rifle case so I could carry more handguns at once and not be lugging a bunch of cases around.....My brother has been using a "small" rifle case for years so I figured I might as well just give in and get one too. I was skeptical at first but now I'm on board with the idea.....The real worry was things flopping around in there. No worries in the end though.....the Plano case I ordered holds everything but the thinnest magazine very secure......plus almost all my handguns can be crammed in there at once.....along with their respective accessories.

My next problem will be the load of ammo I need to stow in my backpack to feed them all. I suppose the next thing I'll need is a rolling, carry-on style suitcase to haul that pile around!

The few hours I spent at the range today felt so organized that I think I'm on to something here......Maybe someone else can benefit from this example......either that or I'm way behind the curve here!....lol
Old December 6, 2017, 06:26 PM   #2
UncleEd

Too many guns!
Old December 6, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Damon555

Ha.....possibly!.....But I look at it this way.....My scoped, 44 mag Super blackhawk hunter wouldn't fit with all the rest of them.....so now I need to get a second rifle case and buy more pistols to keep the SBHH company!......I wonder if my wife would see it the same way!???
Old December 6, 2017, 09:13 PM   #4
WC145

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
Too many guns!
No such thing.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 6, 2017, 09:21 PM   #5
TXAZ

^^^^^^^ WC145 speaks the truth!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 6, 2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Bob Wright

I found a zippered tool bag at Home Depot that has an extension handle and wheels. I carry two guns at most, plus my ammo and a couple of range tools. I pack it the night before.

Bob Wright
Old December 6, 2017, 10:27 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-018...tanley+rolling

These used to go on sale for about $25. I have a couple for different things. One for the range. Some basic tools and cleaning supplies in the top and I can stuff a fair amount of ammo and a pistol or five in the bottom with gun socks.
Old December 6, 2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Damon555

My interest in handguns has grown since my private range lost its lease. I haven't been able to shoot my rifles in quite some time so in the mean time I'll become proficient with my long neglected handguns. My interests ebb and flow......but long distance target shooting and varmint hunting are my true passions. I suspect that when my outdoor range finds a new home that rifles will be in the forefront again and my handguns will be relegated back to the shadows. The majority of my gun money will be funneled back into the rifle rack....I might possibly be very close to my limit of handguns....blasphemy I know, but the truth hurts sometimes!
Old December 7, 2017, 03:30 PM   #9
SonOfScubaDiver

That's a good way to take multiple guns. I used to take all my guns to the range, but not any more. I found that I have more fun when I take two or three of them at a time. I can focus more on each gun that way. Now I alternate which ones I take. The only one that goes to every range trip is my EDC.
Old December 7, 2017, 05:31 PM   #10
GarandTd

You need 1 long case for revolvers and 1 for the autos. Then you'll need to work on filling both to capacity.
That is a good solution. Like SonOfScubaDiver, I don't take more than 3 to the range at any one time.
Old December 7, 2017, 07:52 PM   #11
Damon555

It is a bit uneven.....When my (my wife's?) Sig P938 shows up my collection will be at equilibrium!
Old December 7, 2017, 07:59 PM   #12
FITASC

Puyt them all in silicone socks and then in a smaller duffle bag- less inconspicuous
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 7, 2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Sevens

Ummm, no way can I be the only one who thinks the pictured method is simply a horrendous idea. I know, I've done it, tried it, got the scratches on guns to prove it.

I take 7-9 handguns with me each trip. The single zippered gun rugs that used to be $7.99-$9.99 each are down four bucks each at the gun show.

Each handgun in a zippered case, all of those cases then carried ANY WAY, even the big gangly and unwieldy rifle case as pictured or a fancy (overpriced) range bag specifically sold as such, or my chosen method... old school 1990's era zippered, leather laptop computer bag. Goodwill store is the best place to find them, and you're a sucker if you pay more than $5 for it. I have three.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:00 AM   #14
rodfac

My wife and I used a rifle case to transport our handguns out to NV the last time we went to Front Sight for one of their courses...very handy. Ammunition is a different story...no real answer as yet...generally we buy it there from one of the trailer truck vendors along the entry road...far cheaper than here in KY BTW.

Here at home, it's a bit easier....out the door, hang a right, walk 25 yards and start shooting...and yep, I know what a good deal I've got. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; December 8, 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old December 8, 2017, 12:33 PM   #15
JDBerg

IMHO, you are carrying too many firearms and accessories in that case for my own comfort level. A Pelican case with a custom interior would avoid the chance of your guns banging against each other. Where I work we use Pelican cases with custom interiors to store and transport aerospace tooling and test equipment. I’ve never had damage problems using them, and I’ve been buying these for years. The custom fit Pelican cases are definitely more expensive than a Plano case but way cheaper than fixing cosmetic damage to your guns.

Last edited by JDBerg; December 8, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 03:52 AM   #16
kozak6

They'll slide around and scratch each other up. At least put them in sandwich/freezer bags first.

Quote:
The single zippered gun rugs that used to be $7.99-$9.99 each are down four bucks each at the gun show.

Each handgun in a zippered case, all of those cases then carried ANY WAY
I like it! I've also seen bins just full of them in older gun shops for cheap.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:39 AM   #17
briandg

I use a similar case designed to fit ar style rifles to carry my coach gun when broken down. best Idea I have ever had.
Old December 9, 2017, 10:51 AM   #18
briandg

canvas cash bags. best choice, imo.

https://www.generalbanksupply.com/st...-9-x-17-5.html

https://smile.amazon.com/Canvas-Sack...nvas+money+bag

Last edited by briandg; December 9, 2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 9, 2017, 11:48 AM   #19
Mr. Hill

Yup those mags and other stuff will move around and scratch during transport.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:11 PM   #20
Damon555

I'm well aware of what can happen inside the case during transport. I'll worry about any issues if or when they arise.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:59 AM   #21
SonOfScubaDiver

Maybe you could get some of that foam that can be cut to shape. That way each gun, magazine, etc., has its own spot and you won't have to worry about them moving around during transport. I saw foam like that advertised somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:02 AM   #22
Charlie98

The foam will eventually break down over time, I stick newspaper or cardboard under one of the layers to 'puff' it back up.

I'm kind of with the others... all that stuff in there is too close for comfort, for me, anyway. They are yours, you can chuck them in a cardboard box if you want.

Personally, I use the Midway shooting cases... kind of like little iPad slip covers, but they have mag pockets on one side, and 2 cargo pockets on the other. They go on sale for cheap pretty often. Then I just stack them in a bag or Rubbermaid bin with the rest of the gear.

My last trip to the range I saw a guy with a Husky (Home Depot) rolly bin thing... and I wonder why I haven't thought of that before? It's on the short list, for sure.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 13, 2017, 10:47 AM   #23
stephen426

I'm not crazy about that idea either. I prefer to keep my pistols separate so they don't shift and get scratched. I got a Plano soft gun bag that I can fit 4 guns into without worrying they will touch each other. I may get another one so I can carry more. They fit inside a large back pack so it isn't obvious that I'm carrying guns.
Old December 13, 2017, 02:05 PM   #24
cw308

Transporting that many handguns at one time would make a fun day at the range . But things could happen on the road , from door to range & back . It takes me 45 minutes one way to the nearest range . I'm a bench rest shooter , only have one high power rifle that I love shooting . I travel with the rifle cased & a 45 on my hip concealed. Don't want to be a downer , you have a nice collection.
Old December 13, 2017, 03:01 PM   #25
Damon555

Don't worry guys......I'm a big boy, I can handle constructive criticism just fine....I'll also continue my trial and error process until something needs to change.