The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
EV1L

Need help!!!

Im new to this forum and I need help from you guys to find the right parts for my gun. I have 26'' 870 Express Super Mag Synthetic **This one** and I want an 18'' barrel and a mag extension that has the same finish as mine. Im replacing the barrel because I will be using the gun for home defence and the 26'' barrel is too long. I looked everywhere but couldnt find any. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old September 17, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2
EV1L

Anyone?
Old September 18, 2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

I don't think a 3 1/2" chambered 18" barrel is available for the Super Magnum.

However, you can use any 3" chambered barrel, you just won't be able to shoot the longer 3 1/2" ammo.

Sources for 18" barrels are :
Direct from Remington.
Gun Parts Corporation-- http://www.e-gunparts.com
Brownell's-- http://www.brownells.com
MidwayUSA-- http://www.midwayusa.com
Cabela's-- http://www.cabelas.com
Ebay.

For a magazine extension, Brownell's sell most of those that are available.
A good brand for price, quality, and choice of finishes is the Choate extension.
The Choate is available in gray-black parkerizing, and in a satin black sulfate finish that should match your gun.

Best of all, the Choate comes as a complete kit.
You get the steel extension, a high-grade long magazine spring, a orange plastic heavy-duty magazine follower, a sling swivel, and the all-important barrel clamp.
Old September 18, 2005, 05:31 AM   #4
EV1L

Dfariswheel, thank you for your reply and for the links you posted. I found an 18.5'' barrel **Link**, and an 18'' Police with rifle sights **Link** but wasnt sure if they will fit or if the finish will match my gun, please tell me what you think!!! Also, is it a good idea to cut my 26'' barrel to an 18'' barrel?

Regarding the mag extension, which one should I get the "black parkerizing" or the "satin black sulfate" which I couldnt find ?

Thanks again.
Old September 18, 2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Rich636

I just picked up an 18" cylinder choke, beaded, Remington barrel for 119.00 from http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/rem-bbl.htm

Finish matches up perfect.
Old September 18, 2005, 09:50 AM   #6
cdc

I have the same gun and then modified it. I have a TacStar mag extension that matches the exterior finish of the gun. The 18" barrel I purchased from VangComp Systems is close but more like a parkarized finish. I have not seen an exact matching finish 18" barrel for our gun yet.

cdc
Old September 18, 2005, 02:06 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The extension finish most likely to match is the standard black finish.
The parkerized finish is a dark gray color.

This is usually advertised as "blue" but it's really a satin black color, usually a sulfate finish, which Remington uses on many of their shotgun small parts, like the shell lifter.

Although you can cut barrels down, I'm assuming your barrel has a rib, and this makes cutting a problem, since you have to cut on a web section.
Rib removal is a major pain, plus requires refinishing the barrel.

I recommend buying a new barrel and keeping the original for sporting use, or resale.

If you decide to buy a Choate extension, here's the best deals I ever found:
Eldon King: [email protected]

I suspect he has an "in" at the Choate factory, since he has all Choate items at a better price than any other I ever found.

He has all Choate extensions in blue or parkerized, in any length, and for other guns besides the Remington.
Old September 18, 2005, 02:29 PM   #8
n3twrkm4n

For the hassle why not just pick up a Remington Marine Magnum or a Mossberg?
Old September 18, 2005, 03:45 PM   #9
EV1L

Rich636, what finish do you have? And can you please give me the order number.

cdc, how much did you pay for VangComp barrel? Also, is the difference in color noticeable?

Dfariswheel, thanks for the info.

n3twrkm4n, ya I know... but I already bought this gun and thats why Im asking so I dont make a stupid mistake again.
Old September 18, 2005, 03:58 PM   #10
Skeetin'870

i dont think a BG is going to care if the finish matches in a HD situation if hes getting shot at he isnt going to say damn that guys ghetto his finish doesnt match.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 18, 2005, 04:25 PM   #11
EV1L

LOL, I know to match finishes is not the most important thing. But this is my first shotgun and I dont want to screw it up since its new.
Old September 19, 2005, 01:00 PM   #12
cdc

Hi Evil,

I paid $125 for a new 18" barrel plus $240 for the VCS system and $15 for shipping (fast within days turnaround!). Hans also gave me a $50 credit on a older $28" barrel. The finish on the new barrel is slightly different, I think it is a Police barrel chambered for both 2 3/4" and 3". The finish on the new barrel looks like the one on the SpecOps stock, it all blends quite nicely. I will take and post pics on my next day off which will be Wed. or Thurs. I very much like the setup.

cdc