The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 12, 2005, 03:58 PM   #1
sher2981

benelli vs. beretta

I need some opinions and I'm sure I'll get some with this title. I'm looking at purchasing either a Benelli Super Black Eagle II or a Beretta Xtrema 2. Can anyone tell me if they've shot both and which one recoils the least. Thanks.
Old September 12, 2005, 04:20 PM   #2
InSoMNiaX23

I haven't shot either of them, but the Beretta recoils less due to its being gas-operated vs. the Benelli being recoil operated.
Old September 12, 2005, 08:13 PM   #3
HSMITH

I would go Beretta. I have owned the Benelli, but not the Beretta.
Old September 12, 2005, 09:00 PM   #4
publius

I have both and think the Beretta is a better weapon.
Old September 13, 2005, 11:40 AM   #5
C Philip

While I have not shot either, I hear from one of my buddies that Benelli guns were mostly used at one of the competitions he watched. So if you think that people who participate in competitions pick the best guns, Benelli would be the one. Then again, that is only one competition, so it probably doesn't indicate too much.
Old September 13, 2005, 01:46 PM   #6
sher2981

Thanks for the input. Can Publius or Hsmith elaborate on why you think the Beretta is better.... especially since one of you owns the Benelli and says buy the Beretta and one of you owns both and says buy the Beretta. I'm just curious what it is that you like better on the Beretta.
Old September 13, 2005, 07:37 PM   #7
HSMITH

My SBE was not as reliable as a $1000 shotgun should be, in fact it was less reliable than a $400 shotgun should be. This is consistent with the others I see in the field used by my friends. No light load issue for me either, all mine ever saw in the field was 3.5" high velocity steel shot loads. The recoil impulse is a 'whack' sensation where my 3.5" gas guns are more of a 'whump' sensation if that makes any sense, the gas guns are much more comfortable especially at high angles or in awkward positions one encounters in the field. It seems the reliability problems I had were tied to high angles and awkward positions, that is where most of the jams or failure to feed occured.

My gas guns are hands down more reliable and more comfortable to shoot.
Old September 13, 2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Skeetin'870

I have a 390 and absolutley love it but also i have NEVER seen a benelli not fire and with a 3 1/2 inch shell it will fire and it needs less cleaning. Im indifirrent PM me if you have more specific questions
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 13, 2005, 09:41 PM   #9
Bonstrosity

I've got a benelli too, love it, if you have any questions pm me also
Old September 14, 2005, 06:40 PM   #10
kingudaroad

My barretta is an o/u, but I do own a benelli also. The enertia operation does create some recoil but it really doesnt bother me much. Not near like a pump. I installed a mercury filled recoil reducer(available from benelli and very easy to install) and now my 12 year old shoots it with no problem.
Old September 15, 2005, 03:31 PM   #11
sher2981

Thanks everyone. Before I posted my question, I was really leaning toward the SBE II... I think I might have to rethink that though. Recoil is a very important issue to me since I have a pretty thin shoulder. It doesn't take much for me to be black and blue after just an afternoon of skeet shooting. Also, nothing makes me madder than a gun jamming while I'm in the field.
Old September 19, 2005, 05:06 AM   #12
osirus101

im not sure about the SBE...but a friend of mine has the "Benelli tactical 90?" semi auto any way..and the 400 + rounds ive personally seen shot through it not one single jam...and the difference in the 2 3/4, 7 shot and a 3" slug was almost no difference in recoil...and i was absolutely impressed with the benelli...
Old September 19, 2005, 08:43 AM   #13
Bonstrosity

I have the M1 90 and I've probably put more than 9 or 10 thousand rounds through it since I've been 12 and it has not jammed EVER. no misfires or jams or anything...It just keeps eating the ammo. Recoil is low on this gun too. Since it is inertia opperated, it uses the recoil from the shell to eject itself so the recoil is a lot lower than the o/u, pumps, and other gas ejected semi autos. Also since it is inertia opperated you do not have to worry about anything along the gas lines breaking like o rings or having a leak. The recoil however does change some depending on the type of shell. Target loads are nothing and you can barely feel it while slugs do give a little more kick but like I said before it's less than any of the other guns you would shoot. hope this helps.

Joel