The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2020, 01:53 AM   #1
Chaosgundam

Carrying one up with Ruger LCP for new owner

Good day

I recently purchased my first Firearm, a Ruger LCP. Since I am still pretty new to firearms I have the obvious reservations of carrying the firearm with one in the pipe. I am currently carrying the pistol in my pocket with the pocket holster that comes with the pistol.

I have two questions in this regard.

1. I carry the pistol with me all the time, literally. The only time I dont have the pistol with me is when I am in bed. So the firearm is in my pants pocket when I play with my kids, cook dinner, go to work, watch television and so on. Is this save to do. Will this damage the pistol in some way, for instance sweat, bumps and so on?

2. From what I see here everyone says you should carry with one in the pipe. I figure that this question has been asked to death but I would like to have confirmation also that this firearm is save to carry as it has no safety, when its loaded the hammer is only half cocked. Has anyone ever had any issues with the standard holster provided? Im terrified of the idea that one of my kids sit on my lap and there is a accidental discharge. I only carry the firearm in my pocket, nothing else and I constantly check to see if it remains holstered. No zips for pockets.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance and enjoy your day.

Last edited by Chaosgundam; August 12, 2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old August 12, 2020, 04:54 AM   #2
jetinteriorguy

I always carry my guns ready to go, if they have a safety it’s engaged. But, I don’t pocket carry. Personally, no matter what anyone says, do what makes you comfortable. In your situation I wouldn’t carry loaded. Or if you don’t mind a suggestion, get an Lc9s or an Ec9s and carry IWB @ 4:00 o’clock with a safety engaged. That’s what I do in a Desantis Nemesis holster. Very comfortable, very secure, and about as safe as it gets while carrying loaded. Or you could look at a Ruger LCR for plenty safe pocket carry.
Old August 12, 2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Snuffy308

The holster that is supplied with that pistol is rather flimsy. For me, I wouldn't pocket carry using that holster as that particular LCP if it's the latest version, has a fairly light and short trigger. If you pocket carry a striker or a pistol with a striker like hammer, especially one with no manual safety, you need a rigid holster that encapsulates the trigger with no possibility of coming out unintentionally. Or, for that matter, possibly being activated while in the holster. There are a host of kydex pocket holsters made specifically for that pistol that would protect the trigger from intrusion. When I pocket carry a striker I usually have the pistol in an Alabama holster. Not affiliated in any way but they do make a fine product if you don't mind the wait. They're made as orders come in. Takes six to eight weeks as I recall. With the sort of activity you are engaging in, I just would not trust the protection afforded to that trigger by two fairly thin pieces of fabric.
Old August 12, 2020, 06:42 AM   #4
Oaktree45

You must live in a big city or a pretty scary neighborhood to carry while you are home and play with the kids.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:15 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

pocket piece

Nemesis pocket is the way to go. I use one along with my AMT Backup.

Practice, practice, practice with your gun until it becomes second nature pulling from holster and pointing. THEN, keep a round in the tube as it should be carries and ready to use.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:28 AM   #6
jar

Rough housing with kids, put the gun away in a locked safe.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:40 AM   #7
Snuffy308

OP, the AMT is a vastly different handgun when compared to your LCP. Again, I would not trust pocket carry with any fabric holster with THAT particular firearm. Not with the activity you are engaging in while carrying if you insist on carrying all the time. Basically if you are carrying with a chambered round in the LCP, which you should be doing by the way, for all intents and purposes you are carrying in condition zero.
Old August 12, 2020, 07:56 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

The Original LCP or the LCP Gen ll is fine. I would Never carry the LCPll for any reason for self defense. Trigger is too dangerous.
Old August 12, 2020, 08:11 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Rough housing with kids, put the gun away in a locked safe.

This. There was a story recently where a father and son were rough housing while the father was carrying. Son ended up dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 12, 2020, 08:26 AM   #10
9x19

With the chamber empty, there is a near zero chance anyone is going to be injured by the gun in your pocket.

It will of course be slower to use in defense, but only you can decide which is most important.

One way to build confidence in a gun's design is to carry it for a week, cocked with the chamber empty. If at anytime in your normal daily/weekly routine, you hear the striker/hammer fall, you'll know that design is not for you, otherwise, you may find the pistol utterly safe.

There are some other considerations between chamber empty/chamber loaded, such as the cautions on rough-housing.

Good luck
Old August 12, 2020, 08:58 AM   #11
Chaosgundam

Cool thank you so much for the info guys. Currently I am carrying it cocked (half cocked) but with no round in the chamber to see if the striker goes off. I am thinking of carrying one up during my normal daily routine at work and when I get home I revert to carrying without one in the pipe. I realize this is not ideal but at least I still have the ability to defend myself at home.

I live in South Africa on a Plot outside one of the bigger cities so its very dangerous. Farm attacks are also picking up in frequency. Most people are attacked when at home and when they least expect it so its always better to be ready. I will probably not carry a live round chambered until I get a proper holster as described above and even then I will probably take the round out when at home.

Thanks for the info and if you have any more tips on how to deal with my situation kindly let me know.
Old August 12, 2020, 09:01 AM   #12
Chaosgundam

Oh and its the original LCP not the LCPII
Old August 12, 2020, 09:52 AM   #13
Forte S+W

The Ruger LCP has a rather heavy DA Trigger which is practically impossible to pull accidentally, especially if you're carrying it within the included pocket holster, ergo it is perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

I've carried my LCP in my pocket with one in the chamber since the first day I got it over a year ago and have never had it go off. It's also worth mentioning that my LCP is the 10th Anniversary Limited Edition model with a lighter trigger.

So yeah, carry it your pocket (inside a pocket holster) with a round in the chamber everywhere you go and be ready for anything with confidence.
Old August 12, 2020, 10:02 AM   #14
DaleA

You are correct that this topic, (round in the chamber or not), has been discussed many times with many, many opinions.

I think you're doing things just right. Carry the way you normally would carry for a week or two without a round in the chamber and then if the hammer hasn't fallen or the striker hasn't struck you'll have the confidence to carry with a round chambered.

My advice, free and worth the price, carry with a round chambered in a DeSantis Nemisis holster and have nothing else in the pocket with the gun.

midwayusa.com used to have them for under $20 but they are backordered. midwayusa.com has a "holster finder" on their web site that lists over 60 holsters for the little LCP so there are many alternatives just everybody that I know that likes the LCP likes the Nemisis.

P.S. One of my friends that carries, whenever we go to the range, with whatever we are going to shoot makes it a point to take out his carry gun and without checking it fire a few rounds because he says this is the way he is going to have to use it if he ever has to use it for defense. He says it builds confidence in the gun and his ammo selection, gives him some practice with the gun and uses up the ammo in the gun that may have been chambered a few times.

Last edited by DaleA; August 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old August 12, 2020, 11:16 AM   #15
gnystrom

New to firearms and tiny little gun?
The best thing you can do is practice with that gun as it is not easy to master.
When you think you have done so, practice more. Two hands, one hand, and then your weak hand. After a few hundred rounds you will have a much better idea of what you own.
I have owned both the LCP and the LCPII. I carry mine a lot and it is always holstered in either the pocket model that came with the pistol or a Talon wallet holster.
It is always fully loaded and ready to go but I have had extensive training with that little gun and have no reason to believe, with the right ammunition, it would not do the job.

Under no circumstances would I roughhouse with the kids with any gun on my person.
Old August 12, 2020, 03:54 PM   #16
Mosin44az

I’m not familiar with the supplied Ruger holster so can’t comment on that. But with a reasonably firm pocket holster like the DeSantis the LCP is safe to carry with a loaded chamber essentially all the time in your pocket. I have done this for years.

You might see some wear on the finish, and I would clean it inside and out and lube at least monthly as pocket lint can pile up. I wouldn’t worry about bumps with a decent holster.

Some concern about roughhousing with the kids, I wouldn’t do that with a gun on me. You can injure yourself if you land on it even if it doesn’t go off. Need a secure place to put it while you are roughhousing also.

You might also make sure your kids understand what you are doing if they can discover that you are carrying all the time. Will they tell their friends? Kids complicate things a bit.

You eliminate ALL fears of accidental discharge by carrying with an empty chamber. This of course slows your reaction in the fortunately rare circumstance of actually needing your LCP.

Chambering when you leave home, and then emptying chamber when you return, is doable but to me involves more loaded gun handling than I would prefer, particularly if it happens several times a day. You also want to shuffle the chambered rounds a bit as repeated chambering can affect a round physically, maybe shortening it or causing other slight damage. When I dechamber I usually stick the removed round somewhere lower in the magazine.
Old August 12, 2020, 04:17 PM   #17
Mosin44az

Rereading more carefully. Didn’t realize you were in South Africa. I would keep one in the chamber. Make sure holster covers trigger and is not too soft or floppy. Many good choices here, though not sure of availability where you are.

The Ruger LCP is a tough choice for a first gun. Sharp recoil and limited effective range. (I own two, so not criticizing it as a pocket gun. It is pretty much the smallest and lightest RELIABLE choice in an effective defense caliber.)

I do recommend making sure all your mags have the finger extension ( I think Ruger supplies one). This helps with control and cuts recoil. Also recommend the Hogue wraparound grip which effectively cuts recoil.

I note the LCP is a hammer fired gun. The hammer is partially cocked when you run the slide, and strikes the firing pin which in turn fires the round,when you pull the trigger.
Old August 12, 2020, 04:41 PM   #18
Kreyzhorse

Chambered and holstered, you have no worries. I carry my LCP in the same manner.

Rough housing with the kids, put the gun up. Common sense prevails in this case and otherwise all is fine.
Old August 12, 2020, 06:06 PM   #19
Jessop

Trigger guard holster with cord . The trigger isn’t accessible until the firearm clears your body . You don’t have to worry about one in the chamber .
Old August 12, 2020, 06:26 PM   #20
jetinteriorguy

If these home invasions/attacks are that common I hope you have more than just a pea shooter for self defense. Sounds to me like you are more in need of a full size hi-cap 9mm minimum, with a semi auto rifle backup with hi-cap mags and plenty of extra mags loaded ready to go. Of course, I have no idea what your gun ownership rights are but I hope you have enough if and when you may ever need it.
Old August 12, 2020, 06:37 PM   #21
kenny53

I have had my LCP since they first came out. I have always pocket carried it in a holster similar to a Sticky holster. Always with one in the chamber. I will admit I don't rough house any more. To old and I tend to break when I do stuff like that. The more you carry the more you will become comfortable with it.
Old August 13, 2020, 12:44 AM   #22
jimku

All I am going to say is that I will never carry any striker-fired gun, period, do not consider ANY of them safe.
Old August 13, 2020, 01:03 AM   #23
wmg1299

I pocket carry my LCP II with one in the chamber in the provided pocket holster, but my children are older. When my kids were young, I bought and carried a Beretta PX4 Storm due to it having an external safety. I can't recommend rough-housing with the kids while pocket carrying (lock it up/secure it), but it should be fine in other situations. I assume that you purchased a firearm to protect yourself and your family. If you feel that this is better accomplished with an empty chamber, go for it. Carrying a gun is an individual right, so I leave it to individuals to decide how to exercise it.
Old August 13, 2020, 06:48 AM   #24
Chaosgundam

Wow. Thanks for the help guys. I think for now I will probably still carry it without one in the pipe. Thats probably the safest way to carry at this stage. The pistol is still half cocked so I can see if there is an accidental discharge without an actual shot being fired. When I get a proper holster I will reconsider my carry style, doing one up and putting it away safely when rough housing with the kids. I clean the LCP every two weeks due to pocket lint and sweat from being carried almost 24/7 (not including days I used it)

The reason for buying the LCP as my first firearm is that its perfect for concealed carry. I am in a profession where I cannot carry the firearm in the open (suite and tie with the shirt tucked in made me lean towards pocket carry instead of carrying on the hip concealed) and in anycase, it increases the risk of attack as firearms are in high demand here. Even the police sometimes get attacked by criminals with the purpose of stealing their firearms. Having a firearm is not something you want to advertise here.

I have purchased a Glock 19 gen 3 as my second firearm but am waiting for licensing. Semi-auto rifles is a big and long process to get here, not impossible but I was thinking of rather purchasing a micro-roni with a few extended mags for the glock (I think this is a discussion for a different threat) after my licensing has been approved as it will be much easier and cheaper to get.

Thanks again for the info guys. I feel much better about carrying but I think the way to go is getting a proper holster first before even considering live carry at this stage, even though it seems that the standard holster is save and I have even tried pulling the trigger while it was holstered and it is impossible to do. Always better to tread on the save side with these things.
Old August 13, 2020, 07:00 AM   #25
Chaosgundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
The Ruger LCP has a rather heavy DA Trigger which is practically impossible to pull accidentally, especially if you're carrying it within the included pocket holster, ergo it is perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

I've carried my LCP in my pocket with one in the chamber since the first day I got it over a year ago and have never had it go off. It's also worth mentioning that my LCP is the 10th Anniversary Limited Edition model with a lighter trigger.

So yeah, carry it your pocket (inside a pocket holster) with a round in the chamber everywhere you go and be ready for anything with confidence.
That is sweet. It looks great with the silver slide and trigger