The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 26, 2001, 05:20 PM   #1
D.W. Drang

Kubaton Q?

Here's a (possibly) silly question: Is "kubaton" a copyright term? Is there 1 company that is legally making Kubatons?
Started wondering when I was looking for Kubatons/Persuaders/D-Jammers om the internet, and I found all kinds of sites selling all kinds of variations on kubatons--kubatons w/knives, flashlights, OC spray--but nothing on A manufacturer...
Took me forever (well, OK, not literally) but eventually stumbled on Monadnock "D"-jammers at Botach...but not on Monadnock's web site! And I can't even find a website for ASP. (Of course, Monadnock's site is "batons.com", so ASP is probably somehting simple like "theotherbatonguys.com" )
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old December 27, 2001, 06:10 PM   #2
tc556guy

I would say that they are indeed a copyrighted name, as it was Mr Kubota who developed the instrument. I took a 2 day Kubotan course a few years ago with Mas Ayoob; quite interesting, to say the least.
Old December 29, 2001, 12:15 AM   #3
D.W. Drang

Quote:
I would say that they are indeed a copyrighted name, as it was Mr Kubota who developed the instrument.
That's what I thought, and LSW came home from getting certified as a Refuse to be a Victim Instructor, declaring that "I Want One", and showing me in The Book that it sure SEEMS copyrighted/patented...but the web is full of places selling cheapjack imitations AS Kubatons, and I can't find "THE" manufacturer...unless he's licensed all of SE Asia to make 'em...
Old December 30, 2001, 04:54 PM   #4
EricO

DWTrang, tcsd1236 is correct about Takayuki Kubota. I would absolutely love to take a Kubotan class from Ayoob as he did also. I believe you should be able to purchase a Monadnock "D" jammer (designed by Ayoob) from Ayoob's Police Bookshelf website. Try www.ayoob.com where his companies - Armor of New Hampshire, Police bookshelf, and LFI reside I believe. I have a d-jammer and like it better than the molded plastic thicker ones. The d-jammer is threaded at the end for expedient use as a cleaning rod, is thin enough to use for dislodging a squib load, and is longer, thus easier to maintain a grip on when around someone's wrist. I've seen the shorter, thicker versions (not d-jammers, but persuaders) in heavy brass also, which may have some merit also.
EricO
Old December 30, 2001, 07:22 PM   #5
D.W. Drang

Part of my problem was that I was doing the search for a kubAton instead of a kubOton...Doing a search for kubOton I did, indeed, find a link to the dejammer for sale on the Police Bookshelf site...BUT!!!
It does NOT seem to be currently available on www.ayoob.com!
What I found was www.ayoob.com/cat13.html, and when I tried to follow links back to other pages on Ayoob's site, I got error messages.
I dunno. Last week I couldn't get to gunsite.com, either. This is getting wierd. Maybe it's me...