The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 26, 2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Help with Lyman’s BP Handbook and loading manual.

Just bought that book along with Pedersoli Samhatps Carbine. So a 22” barrel, .54 cal and 1:48 twist.

The bullets are designed to fit the brass cases you can buy and are, well, very big.

I can’t seem to find corresponding load data.

Is this because, being a breechloader, the space behind the bullet doesn’t really change? You just either seat the bullet and fill with BP, make a paper cartridge and load it or load a brass case and load that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 553E8DE7-780C-4CD8-B8F3-E3F218FF474A.jpeg (74.5 KB, 131 views)
Old March 26, 2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Oliver Sudden

First lube that’s slug with a black powder type lube, I’ve done that by simply rubbing the lube into the groove. If you place the bullet into the chamber with the muzzle pointed down then fill the chamber your good to go. To make it into a cartridge just make a tube out of light paper, I like nitrated paper, and glue it to that tail. Then you can dip the bullet into melted lube and set aside till cool. Pour 60 grains of black powder in and twist shut. You will quickly find the right length to make the tube. Place the cartridge in the rifle close the breech blow off any loose powder then cap. Aim carefully and enjoy.
Some I've made with the form for making the tubes, it would be just the same if the form was made of wood.

all 921 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited by Oliver Sudden; March 26, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old March 27, 2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Hawg

First of all understand you're not going to be able to get a compressed load or even not have an airspace. It's impossible with a Sharps. I made paper cartridges much like Oliver Sudden without the long tail and filled with 80 Grains of 2F Swiss and a 490 grain ring tail bullet. I dip lubed mine to just past where the paper started.

Old March 28, 2020, 12:24 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
The bullets are designed to fit the brass cases
I am not familiar with that rifle. So is it a brass cartridge (BPRC-black powder rifle cartridge) or is it a paper cartridges? Your question sounds like brass cartridges. If so, you size and prime, then fill the cartridge case with BP to the base of where the bullet will seat, then card wad, bullet and crimp in place. The amount of black powder will vary depending on case capacity by maker, but you can experiment with compressed loads vs non-compressed or granulation of powder. If paper cartridges, then read the other responses.
Old March 28, 2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I am not familiar with that rifle. So is it a brass cartridge (BPRC-black powder rifle cartridge) or is it a paper cartridges? Your question sounds like brass cartridges. If so, you size and prime, then fill the cartridge case with BP to the base of where the bullet will seat, then card wad, bullet and crimp in place. The amount of black powder will vary depending on case capacity by maker, but you can experiment with compressed loads vs non-compressed or granulation of powder. If paper cartridges, then read the other responses.
They make brass cases. There is no primer, just a hole in the rear for fire from the percussion cap. Bullets are finger pressed in place, no crimp. Since there's no extractor it's sometimes necessary to remove them with a cleaning rod or something similar.