The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 20, 2018, 09:00 AM   #1
heavybarrel

SCCY pistols?

Hi all,

Was out looking at pistols the other day for my wife. She's shot for years having learned when working for her hometown sheriffs office. I found several smaller 9mm's under the name SCYY. Seems like I have heard of it but know nothing about them. These were smaller in size which will fit her hands and if it kicks a little harder that's no problem. I told her about them and mentioned that while it has a synthetic lower half, one of them was pink. A perfect ladies gun right?? Apparently so for her, she wants me to go back and get it. My question then is, are these reliable? It will be actively carried for sd purposes and there is no room for problems. She shoots monthly and will with the new one so any issues will be found quickly. Anyone here used this brand? Thanks.

HB
Old June 20, 2018, 09:42 AM   #2
jonnyc

I haven't shot one, but we have sold lots out of the shop, and all our customers seem to be happy with them. In the past year we've gotten Kimbers, Glocks, S&Ws, Walthers in for problems or repairs, but not a single SCCY.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:52 AM   #3
sigarms228

I would personally look elsewhere if reliability is a top priority. Is she open to striker fired pistols or only hammer fired pistols?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-wsmWku6k
Old June 20, 2018, 09:59 AM   #4
OhioGuy

I shot one at the range once. It just felt lower quality than the more established (and more expensive) pistols, but I can't speak to its reliability. It just seemed a little...rough? Unpolished? I guess cheap

Trigger pull is pretty smooth but very long, and the reset is almost the whole distance of the travel.

On the other hand these aren't made for target shooting and they do cram a decent number of rounds into a very small space. For an inexpensive self defense tool it may very well be a great option. Of course now that Ruger and others are starting to move further down into budget pistols they may also be worth a look, like the new Security and ECS 9mm models. Cheap, reliable and the ECS 9 is very easily concealed. Not pink though
Old June 20, 2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

I have never owned one nor shot one. I would like to see one broken down and parts compared to other guns. As far as a longer trigger, no big deal if is a smooth trigger. And actually would prefer it over some of the ridiculous light triggers that are out there now. This is a carry gun and not a target gun. And I never ride reset on any gun and never will.

If you are truly interested, then try and find a range buddy that has one and shoot one. Break it down and examine the parts. Cheap Aluminum chassis? Steel or whatever. And do not listen to any internet guy that has never owned one or shot one.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:03 AM   #6
JMag1

SCCY pistols?

Well, my wife had to have one (blue frame)...mostly for fun, not SD. It works so far. That said, a Ruger 9mm can be had for a little more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 20, 2018, 11:51 AM   #7
lamarw

Yes, I have one and it has been a reliable pistol for me. Make dang sure she handles it and it fits her hand to her satisfaction.

Years ago, Guns & Ammo reviewed SCCY, and the author liked it. His wife did not since it did not fit her hand. It is not a good fit for my Spouse either. It is a good fit for me.

In my opinion it is a good fit for one with a larger palm. I am referring to the SCCY CPX-1 & -2 (difference is -1 has external safety and -2 does not) which is a 9mm. SCCY does make a .380, and I have zero experience with it.
Old June 20, 2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

The SCCY 9mm is a clone of the Keltec P11.
Old June 20, 2018, 12:35 PM   #9
heavybarrel

I think she gets kick out of the color, more a fashion statement. Personally I prefer black pistols. Reliability is key, cost isn't all that big an issue within practical limits. We both have SD-9s as carry guns but she wants something less bulky. Doesn't matter if it is hammer or striker. I was thinking one of the smaller Rugers, LC-9 I think it is. Prefer to go with 9mm, I've never had a 380 that I could hit a target with. We both like to have something we use for SD and others we shoot for fun.

HB
Old June 20, 2018, 12:43 PM   #10
pblanc

I happened to shoot one twice, but it was the same pistol owned by a person I happened to run into at a local range on two separate occasions a week apart. He had recently purchased it.

Although it looks like a striker-fired pistol externally, it is actually a double action only, hammer-fired pistol with an internal hammer. As such, it has a fairly long and stiff trigger pull and a correspondingly long reset, as for pretty much any hammer-fired DAO pistol.

We were shooting at an outdoor public range that did not allow target stands and only allowed shooting from the back of the firing line at 25 yards. It is pretty hard for either of us to hit even a moderate sized target at that distance. But I don't necessarily fault the pistol for that so much as its small size. It is hard, for me at least, to shoot a pistol that small accurately at that distance, and that is not what it is designed for after all.

As for the trigger action, I found it to be fairly mediocre with a deal of grittiness and stacking, but it was no worse than I would have expected for a pistol in this price range. Unfortunately, both times I shot this pistol, both I and the owner had multiple malfunctions including failures to extract and double feeds. Based on that experience with a single pistol, I would be very hesitant to recommend this gun to anyone for self-defense.

I have read quite a few accounts on the net of SCCY owners who had no issues with their pistols however, and I have been given to believe that SCCY customer service is quite good.
Old June 20, 2018, 01:18 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...looking at pistols the other day for my wife..." Don't buy anything for her. It has to fit her hand not yours. Best to take her shopping.
A small pistol isn't necessarily a female's firearm either.
Old June 20, 2018, 01:23 PM   #12
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavybarrel View Post
I think she gets kick out of the color, more a fashion statement. Personally I prefer black pistols. Reliability is key, cost isn't all that big an issue within practical limits. We both have SD-9s as carry guns but she wants something less bulky. Doesn't matter if it is hammer or striker. I was thinking one of the smaller Rugers, LC-9 I think it is. Prefer to go with 9mm, I've never had a 380 that I could hit a target with. We both like to have something we use for SD and others we shoot for fun.

HB
I think S&W is running rebates or discounts on the Shield this month, and Springfield is running a "bunch of extra free magazines" program again too. Slightly less capacity than the SCCY and a bit more expensive, but both known to be extremely reliable and both are easy to conceal. I find the XD-s to be pretty easy to shoot, and while it's a bit heavy for its size, it also seems (to me) to have a bit less recoil.
Old June 20, 2018, 04:57 PM   #13
dgludwig

If nothing else, SCCY certainly has one of the best warranties in the business.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

I was just looking at their specs. Seems to me, that I do not see anything that some firearms like the LC9S has that they do not. They even use stainless steel receiver vs the carbon steel. Take down pin looks more robust. Appears to be a nicely made firearm. At this point IF I was in the market for a less expensive 9mm, I would sure check it out. And he looks like it sure beats the budget guns like some of the Rugers.

Magazine: Includes (2) double stack, 10 round capacity magazines with finger extension base installed and 2 additional flat magazine bases.
Barrel: Machined from bar stock with 7 lands and grooves having a 16‐1 right hand twist.
Receiver: 7075‐T6 aircraft grade heat treated aluminum alloy, machined from bar stock.
Slide: Quality Stainless Steel available with Natural Stainless or Black Nitride finish.
Grip/Frame: Made from Zytel polymer, with ergonomic finger grooves and an integral “RE-COIL CUSHION” on the back‐strap.
Recoil Spring System: All steel, fully encapsulated for ease of disassembly and reassembly.
Slide Lock/Release: Steel with a Zytel over molded polymer extension for ease of operation.
3 Dot Sight System: Steel rear sight, adjustable for windage only with locking screw.
Hammer Firing System: Double-action only, internal hammer with inertial firing pin to prevent accidental discharge if dropped.
Double-Action trigger: Specifically designed for shooter comfort and accuracy by designing the system to have a smooth effortless, consistent 9 pound trigger pull.
Old June 20, 2018, 08:39 PM   #15
rickmelear

Function fine, very stiff trigger
Old June 20, 2018, 09:35 PM   #16
tallball

"The SCCY 9mm is a clone of the Keltec P11."

I had read that somewhere, also. The company was started by ex Kel-Tec employees, or something like that.
Old June 20, 2018, 10:13 PM   #17
BumbleBug

SCCY says they have a "perpetual warranty"; that is, guaranteed for the life of the pistol even if the owner is not the original buyer.

Sounds pretty good...
Old June 20, 2018, 10:20 PM   #18
lamarw

And no questions asked. If it broke, they pay shipping both ways and fix it under the warranty. The nice thing is the customer support people are making the warranty program work for the customer.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:00 AM   #19
kymasabe

If she likes pink and 9mm, look into a Beretta Nano. My daughter was pistol shopping recently and found the Nano fit her hand better and was MUCH higher quality than other guns she looked at.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:42 AM   #20
jonnyc

I thought the ownership had former ties to Glock?
Old June 21, 2018, 10:58 AM   #21
PlatinumCore16

Even if she likes the color, you have to take her to feel it up. If it doesn't fit well, it won't matter if it was rainbow with engraved unicorns, she won't shoot it. I went through the same with my ex. In the end, she got the Bersa 380. Granted she really liked the black with gold accents, but it all started because the first one she tried fit her hand (and that one wasn't the black with gold accents, so I knew she didn't just want the bling).
Old June 21, 2018, 11:04 AM   #22
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...looking at pistols the other day for my wife..." Don't buy anything for her. It has to fit her hand not yours. Best to take her shopping.
A small pistol isn't necessarily a female's firearm either.
This is a great point...... many people buy the tiniest pistol they can find for the wife.

small + decent caliber = recoil

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old June 21, 2018, 11:15 AM   #23
Kirosha

I've handled two and didn't like them enough to buy them. They feel cheap but that might not affect reliability. If it feels goid to you and her...let us know how it shoots!

I would go with the Ruger myself.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:55 AM   #24
9mm

There are other top brands, S&W, Ruger both have compact guns in the $200 to low $300. Lc9, lc9 pro all under $270 buds. I would not trust a small company low budget gun on my life. Good range gun, training? Yeah sure, but when there's a Ruger option for $10-$30 more why pass on quality?
Sccy is listed around $230 on buds, lc9/ec9 is around $250.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:27 AM   #25
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
There are other top brands, S&W, Ruger both have compact guns in the $200 to low $300. Lc9, lc9 pro all under $270 buds. I would not trust a small company low budget gun on my life. Good range gun, training? Yeah sure, but when there's a Ruger option for $10-$30 more why pass on quality?
Sccy is listed around $230 on buds, lc9/ec9 is around $250.
Have you actually shot a SCCY? Have you compared all the parts, receiver, chassis, roll pins etc. of the SCCY to a LC9? Do you really think all LC9'S have never failed? How about showing me the quality of the LC9 vs the SCCY? Please, I would love a comparison. Pics would be great.
Lol, I have owned two (LC9's). Actually had a receiver go down range. Nice guns, but so far I see nothing about a SCCY that is much different than a LC9.
FYI SCCY is NOT a new company. They have been around for 15 years.
I have heard the same type of internet comments from other guns like the Honor 9mm. Then I finally shot one that a range buddy had. And it was one nice gun.
You think Ruger just makes quality guns with all their models? Lol, I have proved that wrong with the LCP. How about some of Ruger new semi's? How about just starting off with the Receiver. Stainless vs Carbon Steel. Now show the receivers and show us all why you are making the comment about quality.
No, I personally have no interest in the SCCY, but not for any of the reasons I have seen posted on this forum. And I never make a judgement on any gun I have not shot and spent some time with.

You say "I would not trust my life with one? Well this guy in the video emphatically states THE OPPOSITE.
CHECK OUT THIS TORTURE TEST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYbIxmWnec

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 22, 2018 at 07:03 AM.