The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2018, 06:24 AM   #1
Nathan

Happy Fathers Day: Colt Government 380

Well, just picked one of these up on Gunbroker.....in blue.

What do I need to know about these? Any issues?

Anybody know a custom grip maker for these? I know Altamont makes something, but was hoping to go slightly higher end.

BTW, this is not a carry gun or even really a shooter for me. This is a shoot it a couple times a year pistol...just to have. I could carry it, but mostly, I'm owning history.
Old June 17, 2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Charlie98

I don't know about grips, but there is or was a guy that makes a stainless trigger for it to replace the plastic one.

My big complaint about mine is the weak thumb safety detent spring... I don't trust it enough to carry it cocked and locked (although I understand you aren't planning on doing that, just be aware it might have a weak safety.)

Aside from it being a '80's era Colt (with a pretty 'loose' fit, if you know what I mean...) it's a fun little pistol to shoot, and far easier to shoot than a PPK/s or other similar pistols.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 17, 2018, 10:00 AM   #3
tallball

I like mine a LOT. The steel frame and locked breech combine for extremely minimal recoil. My daughter was shooting it when she was eight years old. It has pretty decent sights. The trigger is good. It has never malfunctioned. I can shoot it quite well at seven yards. When I shot it at 15 yards recently the results were less impressive - my aging eyes and the short sight radius don't work for me at that distance. I bought it about five years ago so that I would have a 380 that my daughter could shoot easily. It's been one of my favorite handguns ever since. Everyone who shoots it likes it.
Old June 17, 2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Nathan

Picture of it still on Gunbroker!

I think maybe grab a couple mags and give it a shot. Mag price looks good now....in 2025, probably be $100 a mag!
Old June 17, 2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Armybrat

Bought mine new 30 years ago. It tended to jam up the first two range sessions, then I found out the model had a factory problem. Called Colt and they immediately sent me a new spring clip with DIY installation instructions, or a Colt dealer would install it free of charge.
Being a procrastinatin' type, I never got around to putting it in. I recently was looking through an old shoe box and found the Colt envelope with the part still taped to the instructions. Guess I had better get off my duff & do it before one of my heirs loses it.

Nice little gun, by the way (yeah, it's been sitting in my safe for 30 years - LNIB with maybe 30 rounds through it).

The little spring clip is still taped in the upper left corner of the instruction sheet:

Last edited by Armybrat; June 17, 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old June 17, 2018, 12:06 PM   #6
Charlie98

Personally, I think the Gov't .380 is the perfect training pistol for someone with small hands. I just wish the sights were a bit better.

Here's mine, posing with it's carry mate...

Old June 17, 2018, 06:54 PM   #7
thickstrings

Here is a article that addresses some of those questions.... http://www.cylinder-slide.com/colt380.shtml
Old June 18, 2018, 08:31 AM   #8
Charlie98

I was actually going to send my Colt in to C&S to have them spiff it up, particularly the sights, but then I saw the price tag and decided not to... it just didn't make sense on a .380.