The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 9, 2017, 11:09 AM   #1
aarondhgraham

Leupold "Rifleman" scope on a CZ-512 rifle.

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about optics,,,
But I own a CZ-512 rifle and need to scope it for 100 yard target shooting.

My 65 year old eyes do okay with iron sights out to 40/50 yards,,,
But beyond that everything is a bit fuzzy.

I own a Leupold Rifleman scope that is 3 x 9 x 40,,,
Would this scope function properly for 100 yard shooting with a .22 rifle?

Some people tell me I need a scope designed for rimfire,,,
And to sight it in at 50 yards.

Others say a scope (like this Leupold) will work just fine,,,
And that it will easily sight in at 100 yards.

Any information will be more than I have now.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 9, 2017, 11:20 AM   #2
ShootistPRS

Any scope will work fine on a 22 RF.
If you want to be able to see individual holes you may need more magnification. If you shoot in low light or you have cataracts you may need a larger objective lens. I have a Kahles 3.5-10x50 on my 22 for Silhouette shooting. I need all the light that 50mm lens can pull in and the magnification is an improvement in knowing when the gun goes off where it was pointing.
Old May 10, 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
jpx2rk

I have a 3x9 40 Rifleman scope on my RAR 223, and I can see the bullet holes on the target at 100 yds but the targets I use are off white background with orange diamond/black border style targets, with 1" grid lines. I cannot see the 223 bullet holes on a black background target. I like the scope and the glass is good/clear. At 200 yds, I cannot see the 223 bullet holes with this scope.

I'm 61, staring at 62 pretty hard , have pretty bad eyes with the start of cataracts. I would consider a 24 or 36x fixed myself for 100 yd rimfire. I use a 36x SightronII for ARA matches at 50 yds. I can see the 22lr holes on the targets very easily at 50 yds, have not tried the 36x at 100 yds. 22lr holes are pretty damn small IMO. I have looked thru a 24x at 50 yds and can see the 22lr holes on the ARA target.

GL in your search.
Old May 11, 2017, 05:21 AM   #4
jmr40

Quote:
I own a Leupold Rifleman scope that is 3 x 9 x 40,,,
You have a 3-9X40 scope. A 3X9X40 scope would have 3X magnification, 9X magnification and a 40mm objective with nothing in between. A 3-9X40 scope would be adjustable with magnification settings between 3X up to 9X.

The scope you have would be an excellent choice for shooting at 100 yards. I use basically the same scope in the VX-2. You'll just have to zero at that range. I've shot out to 200 yards and can keep MOA at that range if no wind. It doesn't take much wind to throw off shots at 200 or even 100 yards when shooting a 22.

My scope has long range dots. I can zero the crosshairs at 50 yards and the 1st dot is dead on at 100. Or just re-zero at 100, it doesn't take a lot of adjustment. Zeroing at 200 required a full turn + another 15-20 clicks to get zeroed.

Winston Churchill
Old May 11, 2017, 09:20 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

Thanks gentlemen,,,

Thanks gentlemen,,,
I appreciate the input you have given.

I'm ordering scope rings today.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 11, 2017, 10:29 AM   #6
Don Fischer

I've got old eye's and wear glass's. I have 2-7x scope's and 3-9x scopes and a 4 1/2-14x. The 4 1/2-14x is on my 6.5x06 and if I decided to hunt with that rifle again I'd go 2-7 or 3-9x. Shooting a target's at 100yds I shoot with the variable scope's at the lowest setting. At 2x oe 3x you don't see your own faulte like you do at higher power's and it improve's my trigger control, I ain't what I used to be. Not really a fan of big variable's like I have on my 6.5x06 but only normally shoot it other than at long range. Even then the most power I've used on it is 8x.

Any full sized scope with a one inch tube works fine on a 22. Maybe a 30mm would too but I've no clue who might make rings for it. My old 1 inch rings for a 22 came from Burris but that was a long time ago, in fact not long after the set up shop in Greeley, I lived there then.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Hawg

The Leupold will work fine but the Rifleman scope uses friction rings on the adjustment and doesn't "click". Some people don't like that but I do.