The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 19, 2014, 09:32 PM   #1
SRE

.22 Stuck and Split cases in Marlin Pump

Soooo I am in the process of restoring a couple of .22's from a friend's childhood that he still has! The firearm for this thread topic is a Marlin Model 29 .22 pump. S,L, & LR. Was an absolute mess when I got it and have been at it strong all week getting this back up and running. Among other major issues, when I got this rifle it had a stuck 22 long case in the chamber. I am talking in the throat of this rifle a perfect brass cylinder. No bullet and no case head which was ripped off.

So I removed that (a whole other thread I could post about that) I noticed every case was getting pretty damn stuck that I fired. And not only were they getting stuck they were splitting as well.

Why is this? The chamber looks somewhat pitted so im guessing thats why.... what is the best way to smooth it out? Ream it maybe?

Pleaes view pictures. Any feedback is appreciated THANK YOU!

SRE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1930.jpg (229.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1932.jpg (137.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1931.jpg (90.0 KB, 44 views)
Old July 19, 2014, 10:06 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt reaming would help, in fact that chamber is too big already, which is causing the split cases and also caused the stuck case.

The only way to repair that gun is to have the barrel lined. That usually runs around $160, which, IMHO, would exceed the value of the rifle. (Google "gunsmith barrel lining".)

Lining a rimfire barrel is not beyond the capabilities of a reasonably competent DIYer, but I don't usually advise that route when a valuable rifle could be ruined; in the case of that rifle, it might be considered if the owner really wants to return it to firing condition.

Jim
Old July 19, 2014, 11:40 PM   #3
tangolima

You got case blow out. It happens when there is inadequate steel support around the brass. Excessive headspace will do it.

-TL
Old July 20, 2014, 02:15 AM   #4
gyvel

I had a Marlin Model 37 .22 pump with the exact same problem. The gun belonged to the grandfather of a friend of mine who had apparently been a poacher in the swamps in his youth. The gun had a muzzle attachment for (probably a then legal Maxim) silencer, and a very severe erosion ring in the chamber from shooting countless rounds of .22 shorts, which caused .22 LRs to swell, split and stick in the chamber in exactly the same fashion as your photo.

I initially considered a reline, but discovered that Numrich had replacement barrels for a nominal sum so I ordered one and rebarelled the gun instead. The external condition was about the same as the rest of the gun but the bore was excellent, and the gun now functions perfectly and is reasonably accurate, if not very pretty. (The 37 was only made from 1913-16.)
Old July 20, 2014, 02:30 AM   #5
gyvel

I just looked up Numrich, and they still have used 20" barrels available for $54.05. Here is the link:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/591370.htm (The same barrel is used on the 29 and 37, although the 29 list includes a new "factory" barrel for the same price.)
Old July 20, 2014, 07:53 AM   #6
SRE

gyvl,

Pretty awesome. I just ordered one. Thanks so much for telling me about your gun and how you fixed it.

As well as all other post replys, they are are very helpful. That's why I turn to The Firing Line when I have any gunsmithing/ reloading questions.
Old July 20, 2014, 03:12 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ordinarily, chamber expansion from firing pressure can be discounted as the source of a problem. Modern centerfire barrels are made of hard steel that simply does not compress even under high pressure. But the barrels of most old rifles, especially .22 rifles, are often quite soft and many firings can actually cause chamber expansion. Further, the bolts are soft and so are the seats (or whatever backs up the bolt) and those will batter; the result will be excess headspace and separated cases, made more likely by the front of the case expanding and being unable to move back while the base is allowed to come back and separate.

All in all, a worn out rifle.

Will a new barrel or a barrel liner solve the problem? Maybe, maybe not. Installed with a view to taking up excess headspace, it might. But in some rifle designs, even a new barrel can't correct the problems.

Good luck.

Jim