The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2017, 09:01 AM   #101
jackstrawIII

Save up a few extra pennies and get a Shield. Seriously. Don't buy a "cheap" gun.
Old March 20, 2017, 09:05 AM   #102
Brando1992

Jack - I agree, don't buy a "cheap" gun. but their is a difference between a cheap firearm and a budget firearm. A budget firearm is well made at a lower price point. A cheap gun is one that was cheaply made.

Though the shield is about $350 it is still consitered a budget firearm if you compare it to the prices of its single stack compact 9mm competition: XDs, PPS, G43...

I have my shield on me right now but I would not consider it a budget option, now that it has a complete apex kit and xs big dot sights
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old March 20, 2017, 11:05 AM   #103
roarshock

You understand Tula and a lot of the Russian, etc. ammo is "bimetal" jacket? Copper wash on steel. Some of it is pretty consistent and accurate, but the steel does abrade rifling. So you have to deduct new barrel cost from $/round saved - if long term accuracy matters at all. Maybe an academic point in light of true potential or expectations. I like to realize my own limitations. No steel or brass, thank you.
Old March 20, 2017, 12:22 PM   #104
Auriemma

Many of the indoor ranges around me do not allow steel... period. If the magnet sticks to the box, whether it's the case or the projectile, it's a no go.
Old March 20, 2017, 08:07 PM   #105
tahunua001

banning steel cases is moronic. I understand jackets and cores, that damages their equipment. the only motivation I could think of is them trying to fetch a higher price for their range brass by not allowing steel to get mixed in, and forcing you to buy their range ammo because you can't shoot any of the cheap ammo you brought, both are greedy practices in my opinion.

as for the " don't buy cheap guns, buy an M&P" comment. that is pretty rich. one of the most poorly fitted and finished handguns I've ever owned was an M&P, second only to a bulgarian Arcus. there's actual quality, and then there just plain brand snobbery. I'd pit a Ruger 9E, Canik TP9, SCCY CPX, or just about any of the EAA imports against the shield any day in terms of quality. the only think the shield has going for it is that it is just about the only sub $350 gun that fits the current craze of single stack 9mms, and has the better-ish of the triggers available in that class.
Old March 20, 2017, 08:33 PM   #106
GarandTd

The m&p shield is a striker fired single stack 9. Why would I save up my pennies for that? It's not what I wanted. Blindly telling everyone to buy an m&p shield is BS.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:23 PM   #107
Targa

The Turks make excellent guns, if the SAR was something I was interested in I would have confidence in its reliability. I was really close to buying a TriStar/Canik C-100 but ended up with a great deal on a 92 Beretta.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:38 PM   #108
GarandTd

The Beretta 92 was the object of my pistol desire for years, but once I got out there and got my hands on some guns, that lust fell to the wayside. I'll always have a soft spot for the Beretta. Maybe one day I'll rekindle that fire.
Right now, the K2P is the object of my desire. It's a sweet piece.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:49 PM   #109
Targa

Yeh, it's not even that I really like the Beretta more than the Canik I was looking at, it's more sentimental/nostalgia from active duty days.
Old March 21, 2017, 05:43 AM   #110
roarshock

I understand the mystique and appreciation too.Beautiful, reliable design. Have to sell my compact one of these days though. Too bulky for most purposes. A big gun that won't fit my hand without extension mags makes no sense. Agree on Canik except in the C-100, T-100, T-120 direction. They nailed the DA SA concept in a light weight compact. A Beretta style decocker would have made it perfect. I know CZ PCR and PO 1 have it - almost. Just sayin', for the price.

Last edited by roarshock; March 21, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old March 21, 2017, 11:12 AM   #111
Auriemma

tahunua001... The ranges I've gone too all allow brass and aluminum casings, so the "keeping the brass cost up" isn't the issue. It's the steel core and ricochet issue. They don't want to inspect every bullet, just the box as a whole, hence no steel.
Old March 21, 2017, 09:27 PM   #112
tahunua001

yes but magnet sticking to the case is asinine, if it doesn't stick to the projectile, it's good to go,
Old March 21, 2017, 11:57 PM   #113
Cirdan

I was shooting at an indoor range, and a fire started in the backstop. Had to be a steel core bullet, but I never could figure out what flammable material was in the pile. . .
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #114
Brando1992

Cirdan - I have heard the unburnt gun powder can build up and become flammable in an indoor firing range
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #115
jimbob86

Quote:
Save up a few extra pennies and get a Shield. Seriously. Don't buy a "cheap" gun.
lolwut?

I can't say I would not call the Shield a "cheap" gun ..... I've shot one. The SR9c was a nicer gun for less money.

...wasn't there a sticky about the Shield recall circa 2013?

http://nefirearm.com/
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #116
hemiram

The Shield practically screams cheap to me, as does the whole M&P pistol line. To me, a 3rd Gen all stainless 4506, 5906, or even a 4006 is a decent S&W pistol.

Tags
budget , cheap , first gun