The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 09:29 AM   #51
RandyC

Pow! Done! And thanks for the link. Be nice if the NRA made it that easy.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:26 AM   #52
willhud

I have received emails from 3 of the Congressmen here in Florida after filling out the Ruger Online Petition. Below is the response from Dennis Ross - Fl, Rep.

As you can see, the Ruger Petition is getting to it's intended recipients. That said, not all the responses are as favorable as Mr. Ross's. Bill Nelson's certainly wasn't, but that was to be expected.

---

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate that you took the time to express your views on this important matter and am happy to respond.

The senseless violence which occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School has no place in our society and certainly has no place in our classrooms. As a Christian, and as a father, I joined Americans across the country as I followed the heartbreaking reports pouring out of Newtown, Connecticut.

Unfortunately, it did not take long for gun control advocates to begin using this disaster as a means to push for more restrictive and anti-gun legislation.

As your elected representative in Congress, I took an oath to protect the Constitution, and that includes the Second Amendment, which provides the right to keep and bear arms by all law-abiding citizens. As we move forward through the 113th Congress, you can be sure that I will fight against legislation that infringes upon your Constitutional freedoms.

It is an honor and a privilege to represent constituents like you of the 15th District of Florida. To learn more on how I may serve you, please visit http://dennisross.house.gov. Please feel free to continue to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
Old January 24, 2013, 11:30 AM   #53
willhud

Marco Rubio's reply was a basic we got your email. The only reason I bother to even post it is the line about not emailing anything that takes immediate attention to their Washington Address. Imagine that, it takes 4 weeks for them to get snail mail through the security in Washington.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. Your correspondence has been received and I welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. Hearing directly from constituents such as yourself is truly an honor, and your input is much appreciated.

Please look for my response in the near future. In an effort to serve you better, please do not duplicate e-mails into the web-form, as it may serve to delay the response to your concerns. If you need immediate assistance with a federal agency, please call (866) 630-7106, toll-free in Florida. Please do not mail materials that require immediate attention to the Washington DC Office. Due to security screenings, postal mail can take up to four weeks to be delivered and will delay our response to your request.

Sincerely,
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio
Old January 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #54
Wisewolfhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Cats View Post
Another in. If only writing the letters by hand were that easy

Sent from my evil black phone
Me to !!!
Old January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM   #55
SPEMack618

This is what I got back from Saxby Chambliss today...

Thank you for writing me regarding the right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. Your taking the time to contact me is appreciated.

I have always been and remain a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. While I am certain that the president's proposal is well-intentioned, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that Americans' constitutional rights are protected. We must make certain that the rights and freedoms of law-abiding citizens are not unfairly impeded. I believe that the ability of sportsmen, hunters, gun enthusiasts and citizens concerned with their personal safety to own a gun, whether for sport or protection, is clearly defined in the Constitution and must not be compromised.

In response to recent tragic and high-profile acts of violence, there is a renewed focus on government regulation of guns. It is likely that Congress will soon have an extensive and detailed conversation about all of the potential causes of these crimes, including mental health issues, depictions of violence in television, movies, and video games, and firearms.

I know that dialogue regarding acts of violence will likely result in a wide range of legislative proposals seeking to address the underlying causes. As these pieces of legislation come before me in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in the future.

That " no compromise" bit is something I didn't expect to hear, but is pleasent, if he means it.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:31 PM   #56
MLeake

Saxby Chambliss was consistently pro-gun while I lived in Georgia. The response you received is similar to responses I received over the years.

I received a positive response from Representative Sam Graves, and Senator Roy Blunt in my current home state. No response from Senator Claire McCaskill...
Old January 24, 2013, 04:33 PM   #57
adamc

I did my post this am......

Being from Connecticut...................
I'm not going to hold my breath....
Our two Senators are practically leading the parade..

Don'f blame me.....i didn't vote for them
Old January 24, 2013, 08:27 PM   #58
CLYDE71

Done and sent emails out for it also and sent letters already to my reps.

I hope all the gun manufacturers are doing this.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:39 PM   #59
22Rimfire

Thank you for posting the link. Sent mine.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:45 PM   #60
jproaster

Done
Old January 24, 2013, 10:25 PM   #61
Boscoepug

I'd sign a petition to fix the trigger on the LCP.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:24 AM   #62
monkey95

From my Senator,

Thank you for contacting me with your view regarding gun control and the Second Amendment. First, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who lost their life in the tragedy that took place in Connecticut. However, taking rights away from responsible citizens will not prevent future horrific events from happening.

The Obama Administration's recently announced plan amounts to a power grab in my opinion. I will fight any legislation that further restricts qualified owners' access to guns. I am also against the President using executive orders to circumvent the will of the people and infringe on the constitutional rights of my constituents.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and I am a consistent supporter of that right. I believe that violent crime must be reduced, but I will not support measures that infringe upon the Constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.

I support an individual's right to defend themselves, their family, and their property with a legally obtained firearm. This right is put in jeopardy by those advocating stricter control measures. The gun control movement hurts law-abiding citizens and businesses, not the criminals who care nothing for the law. I believe we can better reduce the misuse of firearms by strongly enforcing laws already on the books and maintaining responsible judiciaries.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please let me know how I may be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Joe Barton
Member of Congress
Old January 25, 2013, 04:42 AM   #63
MLeake

Update: heard back from Claire McCaskill today. Seems she supports renewing an AWB, and going for universal background checks, but claims she will protect the rights of citizens to keep "appropriate " weapons. She also said she hoped the NRA would be "reasonable."

I would have to be surprised, in order to be disappointed...
Old January 25, 2013, 04:07 PM   #64
I'vebeenduped

Done

Thanks for the link. Here in AZ things are mostly normal. But we did just recently elect a left wing nutjob...
Old January 25, 2013, 10:25 PM   #65
willhud

I got a more detailed response from Marco Rubio. I would have wished for it to be stronger, but I think it's still pro our side.

Dear Mr. Hudson,

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

Each week I provide a weekly update on issues in Washington and ways in which my office can assist the people of Florida. Sign up here for updates on my legislative efforts, schedule of events throughout Florida, constituent services and much more.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:13 PM   #66
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
Saxby Chambliss was consistently pro-gun while I lived in Georgia. The response you received is similar to responses I received over the years.
I certainly hope so. Some of my more paranoid friends are worried that with Saxby's announced resignation today, he might vote for the ban or other such measures. Don't know though.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:46 AM   #67
Dre_sa

Here's what I got from Barbara Boxer;

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.

If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Here's to hoping...
Old January 26, 2013, 01:04 PM   #68
SC4006

Sent!

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:15 AM   #69
Big Blue Cats

We are almost to 900,000. Those things in office are hearing their cronies cry about deleting so many emails!