The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
MakeMyDay

Water transfer finish on shotgun stock?

Has anyone experienced getting their wood stock finished with a water transfer pattern...especially something like an exotic burl maple? Looks like a feasible way to improve the look of a plain looking walnut stock!
Old February 9, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
zippy13

Some of the factory stocks have "enhanced" wood grain. I don't know the process. Some stock makers/finishers are know use faux finish techniques to improve stock appearance; but, they work with the existing grain. I'm not sure you could do that with a water transfer process.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:09 PM   #3
oneounceload

IIRC, Beretta's "enhanced grain" is something akin to using a magic marker to highlight the grain patterns - albeit in a more rapidly mechanical production system - as opposed to a "wrap". The wood looks good, but it can be fragile as it comes to cleaning
Old February 9, 2011, 11:02 PM   #4
zippy13

I believe you're correct, 1-oz, I recall reading something about the Beretta process "doubling" the natural grain.
Old February 10, 2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Rugerismisticness

Beretta's Xtra Grain finish (found on most 391s, the high end ones have real figured wood and the low end ones have a lower grade of wood) is just a sticker that gets glued to the wood (a low grade of walnut sits underneath).