The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2015, 06:01 AM   #1
My Toy

Frankfoed Arsenal Rotary Tumbler, how much Dawn to use?

Just got the above referenced wet tumbler /w stainless steel media. I tried my fist load of 500 pieces of 223 cases last week using Frankford Arsenal's cleaning solution. The cases were range pick-ups and came out looking like new brass.
I understand a lot of people just use Dawn dish washing detergent with their wet tumblers. Question is: how much dish washing detergent do you use?
As an after thought question: do any of you guys use distilled water for the final rinse to cut down on water spots?
Old February 6, 2015, 07:32 AM   #2
grumpa72

I wet tumble with Stainless media and use perhaps 1/2 teaspoon or less in a big tumbler like my Frankford. I also add a teaspoon or so of Lemishine to the mix. Straight tap water, although our water is moderately soft. I do a quick wash with Dawn because it is range pickup. Then I reload with fresh water Dawn and Lemishine and let it tumble for 2-3 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Lemi-Shine-Ori...shine+original
Old February 6, 2015, 08:11 AM   #3
zanemoseley

I tried measuring per some people's usage I found online and they used a LOT. If you use a lot it doesn't seem to clean any better and is a PITA to rinse. I just use a decent squirt from a Dawn bottle and a sprinkle of lemishine. If you use too much lemishine I've heard it can cause spots on the brass but I've not see it in person.

I've actually started the brass for 15 minutes or so with nothing but water then change water and add a bit of dawn and lemishing. I just got mine a few months back so I'm still experimenting.
Old February 6, 2015, 08:42 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Dawn is used for its surfactants, mostly.
With the abradant nature of stainless steel tumbling, you only need a little bit of 'help' to carry the contaminants away.

Don't go crazy. It's a waste of detergent.
Old February 6, 2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

I have the same Frankford SS pin tumbler. And I use Dawn and it is very effective. Remember, the amount of Dawn to use is a function of the water - not the brass. Regardless of how much brass I'm tumbling, I fill the vessel to about 80% full of water. My Dawn soap sits beside the kitchen sink in a little pump squirt bottle. I use one full squirt, plus a little change (1-1/4 -to- 1-1/3 squirts total); seems to be the right amount from my experience.

In the tumble solution, I also add about 2/3 of a 45 ACP case of Lemi-Shine. This makes them nice n bright n pretty. I use very warm tap water for the final rinse - and my water here is pretty hard. When I'm done rinsing, I separate from the pins in an RCBS rotary case media separator. I immediately spread the brass out on an old towel (old towels absorb water better than new ones) and roll them about. This takes the "big water" off them before they have time to spot. I also use gloves for this process (and all following loading processes) to keep my hand oils from tarnishing the brass (hand oils are the worst for oxidizing). They sit out on the towel for 2 days - that's overkill as they're probably dry in 24 hours, here in the low humidity California air. I do not dry them in the oven, because from my experience, the hot air slightly tarnishes the brass (turns them a tawny brownish-orange color, rather than a bright white-yellow) and it doesn't seem to matter how low the heat.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; February 6, 2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old February 6, 2015, 02:10 PM   #6
schmellba99

1 gallon water (8.2 lbs)
5 lbs pins
1 TBSP Armor All Wash-N-Wax
1 TSP citric acid

Works every time
Old February 6, 2015, 06:33 PM   #7
My Toy

Thanks for all the info. I'm about to start my second try a tumbling with the FA Rotary Tumbler this weekend. Like most anything there is a learning curve.
Old February 6, 2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Like most anything there is a learning curve.
Yep, that's it.

We all share our experiences, but your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Let us know how it goes.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:28 AM   #9
cryogenic419

I've been using a 10mm case of Lemishine and 1 tablespoon of regular blue Dawn. Works like a champ for me when running full loads in the FA tumbler. Anything less than that I just use 1/2 the amount of Dawn.

When I first got the tumbler I used a lot less (like 1/2 teaspoon) and while it cleaned the brass pretty well, the cases seemed to not be super bright and kind of dingy. Looking around I saw people were using a lot more so I tried it and found a happy balance.

On really nasty once fired 5.56 brass, you know the kind where its pretty clear they were out shooting on a muddy day, I just load up with brass, water and pins and give it a quick 15 minute tumble. Drain out the muddy water and then fill the tumbler like normal.

I just use regular tap water for everything.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:28 AM   #10
dwhite

In my Harbor Freight rotary tumbler I use about 1/2 teaspoon of Rain-X car wash with carnuba beads.

http://www.rainx.com/product/washes/.../#.VNYgoe5A6pA

Seems to leave a little more shine and a little protective layer against corrosion.

Just what works for me.

All the Best,
D. White
Old February 7, 2015, 10:25 PM   #11
zanemoseley

Ran 700 45 acp cases in mine tonight, this thing sure does make em pretty.
Old February 8, 2015, 12:34 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Ran 700 45 acp cases in mine tonight, this thing sure does make em pretty.
Sure does