The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 14, 2013, 08:46 PM   #51
pnolans

@allaroundhunter

Don't have a scope for it yet. I will , for the time being, use my 3-9x40 Zeiss. Will start having bake sales, garage sales and saving my pennies for the scope I want.

@RC20... would it be possible to pretend I never said anything at all about SHTF? Please? That would be great. I want a long-range rifle just because I want one. I hope that's ok.

Sportsman's called. The CO background check has gone back to one day. It's ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!!! Wooo hooo.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:51 PM   #52
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Sportsman's called. The CO background check has gone back to one day. It's ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!!!
That's great! And for general work, that scope can work for out to 500 yards (or more). If you ever plan on reloading (not a bad idea), or just think that you might in the future, hold on to all of your brass. Even if you never get around to it, you can sell the brass to someone who does.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:19 PM   #53
Bart B.

pbcaster45, if that 3-shot group's .388 center-to-center, what's the unit of measurement?

.388 inch? The holes are too tiny for that to be the result with 28 caliber bullets.

.388 MOA? Then it's about right.

If that rifle always shoots 3-shot groups with that load no worse than that, then it's a .338 MOA rifle. If not, then it's a bigger on in MOA's one can count on. There's only about a 20% confidence of repeatability size wise for a 3 shot group. Claiming rifle accuracy based on a single 3-shot group's not gonna win very many bets. But that one's in the size range of being very good.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #54
pnolans

@allaroundhunter:

Been saving any brass I shoot since I started shooting. Have dies, powder, primers and bullets for 7mm rem mag. I have done some 270 in the past, but got lazy. Time to get busy again.

I will be reloading.

thanks for everybody's input.

Pat

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:43 PM   #55
hagar

That 162 Amax has awesome ballistics, and yes, I have shot it at 1000 yards with my 7mm Sendero.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:47 PM   #56
Daekar

Interesting thread!

I have always envied those who are capable of making the most of these powerful long-range cartridges. To me, a. 308 is probably the most I'd ever be able to capably handle, and even with that I don't think I will ever have the chance to practice enough to use it at its greatest range.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:49 PM   #57
pbcaster45

Bart, after you pointed that out I think I may have measured center-to-center and subtracted .284 out of habit! Which means it was actually .672!

D'Oh!