The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2012, 09:06 AM   #1
okie24

pancaked primer pic wanted

Could someone please post a picture of a flattened primer.
Old July 21, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Do you have internet access?

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice. It is good to have understanding of how your firearm works and what happens when it does not work optimally. I don't want to discourage you from posting questions, but this, I think, is the best (most complete) answer I can give.

Go to the web site

https://www.google.com

and type in the phrase

flattened primer

you will find dozens of pictures and a bunch of explanations, too.

Lost Sheep
Old July 21, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3
jepp2

You didn't state why you were interested, but I will assume it was for pressure indication.

My experience is that flattened primers can be a better indication of headspace than pressure. But I will provide the following picture to show fired cartridges with increasing pressure. Note the increased cratering and on the far right side case you can see the ejector mark.

Old July 21, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4
mohr308

out of the rounds in this photo, which is the one that is borderline bad or are all of them bad?
Old July 21, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
jepp2

Quote:
out of the rounds in this photo, which is the one that is borderline bad or are all of them bad?
I didn't fire them so it makes it very difficult to answer that. The first two on the left, show primers that appear to still be rounded normally or almost so. The middle round and the right hand two definitely show indications of primer cratering and ejector marks.

The best resource I have found listing the most comprehensive list can be found here.

Learning what you are shooting and noticing changes from the list are what I find to be most useful. On bolt action rifles and revolvers I almost always notice changes in extraction when I begin to see evidence of high pressure. But I am very careful in sizing so I don't tend to get flat primers from excessive headspace.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
mohr308

I guess what I mean is if the only sign of pressure was just in the primer, what would be the one where if I saw it I should be cautious?
Old July 21, 2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Pressure signs?

UncleNick keeps a thorough list...

http://www.shootersforum.com/handloa...ure-signs.html

Problem with primers is that they're all different. I have used 3 different primer types (2 brands) in 357sig. One will pierce and crater on even the weakest (below starting) loads, another mushrooms at starting loads and the other (CCI) looks exactly the same from starting loads to healthy, over book max loads.