The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1
hkusp45c_shooter

Bought an Alaskan

Can anyone give me some insight on loading rounds for the .454 casull as well as 45 Colt. I know you need a heavy crimp, which im not to knowledgeable with yet. Is it safe to load colt level bullets and powder charge in .454 brass. Im getting a substantial amount of factory ammo so I wont need to reload for a bit but would like to get a head start.I plan on loading more 45 colt vs. the casull rounds for know. I currently use bullseye, unique, and i have about a pound of herco from when i loaded .44 magnum. Are any of these good powders for mild to heavy colt rounds?
Open to suggestions on a new gun maybe g20/29
Old May 27, 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
I'm new to reloading and do reload for a 454 Casull. I'm going to focus on using only 454 brass to avoid creating a ring in my cylinder walls at the end of 45 colt rounds. I really don't want full power loads so much and have worked with unique so far. I'd like some faster loads and plan on working with both AA1680 and IMR 4227 in the immediate future. I might do full power loads in the future but would like more experience first.

Make sure you don't have over long crimped cases in 454 that is a recipe for disaster.
Old May 27, 2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Smaug

If you haven't done it yet, DON'T buy factory ammo.
  • If it is Casull ammo, you're going to lose your ass on it, and it will punish your hands, wrists, and shoulders.
  • If it is 45 Colt ammo, you're going to start burning a ring in your chambers that will make Casull rounds hard to chamber.
  • Just buy Casull brass and load them up yourself.

Yes, you can load 45 Colt level loads in the Casull brass.

Yes, Herco will work, better for heavier loads. Unique will work, and is better for lighter loads. Bullseye is too fast burning for this cartridge.

By the way, you can get free load data from the powder manufacturers online.

Alliant's is here. (you have to scroll down and accept the disclaimer first) You can use the 45 Colt data. There are no loads published with lighter bullets for 454, but there are with 45 Colt. You don't even have to shoot heavy Colt loads. I shoot lighter loads than 44 Special out of my 44 Magnum cases.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Here is Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester calculator:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 28, 2011, 05:06 PM   #4
hkusp45c_shooter

im getting 100 rounds of 45 colt rounds and 180 rounds of casull amoo in the deal with the gun. would shooting 100 rounds of colt through the gun damage it. i dont have another gun the shoots the colts and dont want them to go to waste
Open to suggestions on a new gun maybe g20/29
Old May 28, 2011, 05:59 PM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Hkusp45c:

I have never shot a Casull so I can't comment it. I have however shot hundreds of rounds of 38 Special in my Smith model 27 357 magnum. The same thing applies to my fifty year old Ruger Single Six shooting shorts.

Semper FI.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old May 28, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Smaug

I've shot 38 Special through my 357 too, and 357 is now hard to chamber sometimes. You can question my cleaning regimen if you like, but the fact is that it is not an issue if the "correct" length brass is used.

If you do fire the 45 Colt through it, I recommend scrubbing out the chambers thoroughly after shooting it. It doesn't damage the gun, per se, but what happens is that the carbon gets burnt on and is a DOG to get off. Like when you really burn something onto a hot oven.

Buy some Casull brass and reload to start with. Save the Casull ammo for when you really get a wild hair and feel like shooting at long distances, big animals, or just plain making some noise.

Sell or trade the 45 Colt ammo for something else.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer