The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 25, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1
meric35

Question on Nickel Plating on a C&R Gun...

I recently purchased a Beretta M 1935 (mfg in 1946) that is nickel plated and the plating appears to be in very good shape. However it looks like someone tried to remove the barrel with a screwdriver and gouged the heck out of the front of the barrel removing the nickel plating and it is now showing corrosion on the very end of the barrel. In addition there is a spot on the bottom of the handle near the magazine release that shows corrosion, and some nickel wear by the hammer with no corrosion.

My question is should I send the gun in the be repaired and nickel plated or should I leave it original with the corrosion and all. I do not want to destroy the value of the gun by doing something stupid.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Nickel plating, once damaged, is nearly impossible to "touch up" and I wouldn't even try. If you choose not to just leave it alone, you can have the plating removed electrically (any plating shop can do it, but check in advance and disassemble the gun yourself), then have it blued.

A Beretta made in 1946 might be factory plated, but I am inclined to think it was probably an after-market job to begin with, so you aren't messing with any historic or collector piece.

Jim
Old January 26, 2011, 03:08 AM   #3
kadima

There are so many postwar Beretta 35 around that, unless your specimen has a particular history attached, its value cannot be altered by some refurbishment.

First send a reverent :barf: to the previous owner who messed up with one of the easiest handguns to strip ever...

Then you can have it replated without particular problems. I had this done lots of times to motorbike parts, as already said, they will strip electrolitically the plating, then they will replate. If there are just a couple of pieces where the present plating is buggered, it won't need particular care in buffing and you'll save all the markings.

HTH

K.
Old January 26, 2011, 09:53 AM   #4
meric35

Thanks.

With that in mind, I was thinking then to have it Hard Chromed instead.

Also I was going to take a fine sanding stone to take off the sharp edge from the screwdriver gouges. Then use steel wool to remove the corrosion until I can get it to a plating company.

Anyone have a good company they use that has a decent turn around time?
Old January 26, 2011, 03:06 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would try to find a plating shop that specializes in doing guns. With all respect to the folks who plate bumpers, grills, valve covers, mufflers, and other vehicle parts, they are used to large and simple parts and are little concerned about retaining small markings, sharp corners, etc.

If you locate a local one, DON'T just walk in with a gun. Contact them first, and tell them what you want done. If possible, disassemble the gun yourself and make sure you deliver all the parts that will need plating, then make sure you get them all back. Good luck.

Jim
Old January 26, 2011, 07:06 PM   #6
meric35

Quote:
If you locate a local one, DON'T just walk in with a gun. Contact them first
I might have been born on a Tuesday but it wern't last Tuesday. I believe I found a place online that specializes in plating guns only.

Thanks
Old January 26, 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, but there was an incident at a local plating shop, so I always toss in that warning. Plating shops usually work on silverware, plates, etc., and aren't always gun people.

Jim
Old January 27, 2011, 04:50 AM   #8
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Keenan
Sorry, but there was an incident at a local plating shop, so I always toss in that warning. Plating shops usually work on silverware, plates, etc., and aren't always gun people

Right. Also, with the BATF wanting to regulate anyone who so much as touches a firearm these days, without violating laws or being dishonest, everyone is much better off if you bring in "metal parts" for plating, anodizing, engraving, heat treating, or whatever is you want done.

Again, not an encouragement to side-step any laws, but do be aware that the BATF is looking at making plating, anodizing, engraving, etc. companies that do work on a "significant" number of firearms have an FFL, and some firms will refuse to work on guns based on that premise.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:56 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt that will affect, or is intended to affect, small shops dealing with the public. It involves companies doing modifications to imports on a mass basis, sometimes actually changing the configuration of the gun in the process.

Companies doing plating of guns for the public already have FFL's so they can receive and ship the guns; in other words, they are gunsmiths, just specializing in plating and/or bluing rather than in general gunsmith work.

Jim