The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 7, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

CMP M1 Garand, Service Grade, How good is it???

Hey everyone, considering ordering a service grade M1 Garand from the CMP.

Can anyone describe their personal experiences with what exactly the CMP means by "service grade". If you can, post a few pics if your service grade rifle is still close to what you got it.

I suppoe I would rather the working parts be better, the stock can be replaced or refinished easily enough.

Any help appreciated!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
gc70

Take a look in the CMP's Garand Forum and you will find lots of descriptions and photos of Garands that have recently been shipped.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
e4for2

service grade is

one of the top grades of the cmp--it should come as a great shooting and looking rifle,,I have bought many CMP rifles and most were better than graded,,of course the trip to pick out your own is a great experience !!!
Old November 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #4
P5 Guy

Service Grade CMP Garand

I have two and they exceeded the description on the web sight. And the M1903A3 I bought from them would be collector grade.
My last purchase was in July 2009. I bought a Kimber82G. It was exactly as described.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5
FALacy

Ordered a service grade. Got a 100% correct HRA that had to have only been fired a handful of times.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:07 AM   #6
Ignition Override

My only Garand was selected at the Camp Perry CMP by a very experienced marksman friend in early August.
I don't know how to use camera/computer technology.

The action/barrel were built in Jan. '55 by SA, and the later production dates make a huge difference.
The bore's shine resembles that of my chrome-lined SKS, and the other metal parts show little wear. The dents/dings in the dull wood can be improved, as you mentioned.
Old November 8, 2010, 07:58 AM   #7
az_imuth

Quote:
CMP M1 Garand, Service Grade, How good is it???

I've ordered several Garands from CMP, as well as other rifles. In every instance the item I received was well within the standards described on their website, and in 90% of the cases it was well above their description. I have had a couple of minor issues where a part needed replacement for one reason or another and CMP always took care of it promptly and without question.

It's difficult to top the products and service you get from CMP.
Old November 8, 2010, 10:30 AM   #8
kraigwy

When I got mine, (1981-2 or there abouts) they weren't graded. I would classify it (based on looking at other garands when I was at the North Store) as a rack grade. It was in excellent shape for a rifle made in Aug 1941. It shoots good still although I've shot the hell out of it.

A service grade will be a bit better then the rack grades. But I never seen a rack grade that wouldn't work. You have to understand that all Garands (and other rifles) sold by the CMP are gone over by armors to make sure they function and are safe.

I don't know if the service grades are worth that much more then the rack grades but thats just me. The stocks may look better on some.

One thing for sure, if you have problems with your CMP purchase they will make it right, you'll never find any better customer service.

But I'm different then most CMP buyers. Too many people, for example will refinish the stock. I wouldn't. The stocks will have little scuffs, marks, scratches, etc. I look at these and ponder how they got there, what was the soldier doing when they got there, etc. You are buying a piece of history as well as a shooter.

But to answer the question I'd say HELL YES, they are worth the money.

Anyway, here is mine, if you'll notice the rear sight is a NM sight, I added that but I change it back to the service sight with I shoot Garand Matches.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 8, 2010, 11:15 AM   #9
golfnutrlv

Thanks for the input everyone, Tony the Tiger included.

Really looking forward to getting one very soon!!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:32 PM   #10
ejhc11

Hell Yeah!

I got mine in Sept this year - HRA Service Grade, M.E.-1.5, T.E.-1.5, so I would say I am very happy indeed. CMP is A+

I think mine is after 1955-1956 with a mix of SA and HRA parts, but everything internal very new condition.

The stock does have some scratches, dings, and dents but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 50+ year old rifle. Its got character and the finish is just fine and still looks niceas you can see from the pic.

Old November 8, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
dwwhite

Sorry I don't have a picture handy, but I was extremely happy with my SA service grade. In fact, my uncle ordered a CMP special at the same time I ordered mine and upon comparison, the only discernible difference was the wood (mine is aged, his is a new CMP stock) and his new barrel. However, my 55 dated barrel looks just as good as his new one does. I think mine had a TE of 1 and a MW of 2. I think that when he saw mine, he regretted spending the extra $400 on the special.

I agree with the previous posters who said you should take a look at the CMP forums, as there is a wealth of information over there. There has recently been some controversy over the muzzle wear measurements on the service grades, but the general consensus is that if you expect exactly what is described you won't be disappointed, and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

Do some research before before selecting a brand. From what I could gather, with the Winchesters, you're paying for a name, whereas the actual build quality of the SA's and HRA's may be somewhat better. Though how much this matters after 1 or more arsenal rebuilds, I'm not sure.

Another factor for buying from the CMP is that their proceeds benefit several junior shooting sports programs, for that alone they hold kind of a special place in my heart.
Old November 9, 2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Mals9

I recieved my rack grade 1944 SA with HRA parts about 2 months ago. It has new CMP stock and the reciever and internals look brand new, the gas tube is the only part that shows wear. The barrel is from 1952 and gauged 2 at the throat and 1 at the muzzle.

I am very happy with it, I honestly would have prefered an original stock but I have no complaints.

Mals