The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 14, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1
zippy13

R U Familiar with the Savage 775A?

My neighbor just acquired a Savage Model 775A. Seems to be a Browning Auto-5/Remington Model-11 clone. As is often the case with older guns, there were no instructions included. I'm guessing there's a way to adjust the gun to match the power level of your ammo, but I'd like more than a guess to pass on to my neighbor. Anyone know, does this gun adjust just like a Browning, or??
Many thanks,
Z
Old March 14, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Yes, this is a clone mfg by Savage. Setting the recoil friction rings is just like the Browning. For field loads you have the spring, friction ring, bronze friction piece, then the barrel. For trap loads, install the friction ring first to keep from loosing it, then the recoil spring, friction piece, and barrel. Two things to remember: one is to make sure that the gap in the bronze ring and that in the spring that wraps around it are lined up with each other, otherwise the friction assembly can't do its job. Also correct lubing of the mag tube involves just a couple drops of light oil rubbed all over the tube then thouroughly wiped off with a clean dry rag. One other thing is that if the gun ejects with the friction assembly set for field loads, then you don't need to set it for light loads. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder
Old March 14, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3
zippy13

Thanks and well done Goatwhiskers the Elder, and congratulations on your pending 100th posting.
Old March 27, 2010, 01:31 AM   #4
zippy13

UPDATE

I finally got my neighbor and his old Savage to the trap field today. Set up the Savage as described by Goatwhiskers and ran some re-loads through it. I was surprised to learn that it could happily cycle 7/8-oz 12-ga target loads. John Moses Browning knew what he was doing.