The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2000, 11:10 AM   #1
Peter M. Eick

I was thinking this morning (while sizing cases) that there is probably some computer program that allows us to perdict what performance our particular guns would have under certain reloading circumstances.

What I was thinking is along these lines. I was loading for 380, and my standard load is 4.0 grns of unique with an 88 grn Rem JHP and CCI primers on starline brass. But, what would happen if I switched in some speer brass, faster or slower FPS and what about pressures? What if I wanted to use 3.9 grns, how much pressure drop and FPS drop? What about if I wanted to use Seirra 90 grn JHP's over the Rem's 88 grn, what happens? What if I wanted to drop the pressures down to say 15klbs, what would I have to do?

Also what about if I take a particular load from say the Speer manual, duplicate it and my rnd goes say 1037 FPS over 990? Could this be taken into account in the program and its perdictions updated?

Any ideas, or is this software out there??

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, H&K P7PSP and 9MM, Dual Perfection!!
Old June 18, 2000, 11:41 PM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

I've tried two, Sierra & RCBS. There is almost nothing to the Sierra. Not bad mind you. Just nothing too it really. The RCBS is interesting. You can add data to it, beyond what somes with it, by purchasing additional machine readable versions of various old reloading manuals which RCBS sells. Interesting. Interesting enought that I would recommend it.
Old June 19, 2000, 06:26 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

Thanks for the advice. I will look at it next time I am in the gun shop.