The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 2002, 10:52 PM   #1
mellow

For those with an RCBS Pro 2000

Out of the comparable presses, I've decided to get the pro 2000. Well, almost. I have a question about the die setup though.

I know it's a five die setup, but what do you guys set it up with? Is one station dedicated for powder charge only?

I want to be able to have seperate stations for seating and crimping as well as having a station for a lock out die. Is this possible?

Is this setup possible on the dillon 650? the 550?

Last question, does the pro 2000 come with the powder measure and the Case Activated Powder Dispensing System? I assume I have to buy the small micro adjust screw seperately? (this is the one used for pistol calibers right?)

Thanks all
Old November 26, 2002, 12:56 AM   #2
griz

It's got four stations in the removable die plate, and a 5th built into the press frame. That one is meant for the powder measure. The sequence has two stations before the measure, and two after. For me that means:
Station 1, size and deprime.
Station 2, bell the case and prime.
Station 3, charge from measure.
Station 4, seat bullet.
Station 5, crimp.

If you used a lock out die it would have to go right after the measure and would require seating and crimping in the same station, at least as far as I can see.

The measure is included, is case activated, and comes with a large and small micrometer screw. The whole setup is very complete. It also includes different length tubes for different sized cases.

I've been very happy with mine and like the priming system. It did take a little learning though. I have never used a Dillon so cannot help you there. As always, YMMV.
Old November 26, 2002, 03:21 AM   #3
pilon

Griz got it right.

I never had a Dilon.But I beleive that dilon powder dispenser dies includes belling(expanding) so you could seat and crimp in seperat stations and still use Lock-Out-Die adleast with 650 modelbut I'm not sure.

Pro 2000 is a good stuff.
Old November 26, 2002, 07:38 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Griz is right on the money.

I have the lockout die and such but do not use it. I want the crimp seperate from the seat die more. I wish they had made it a 7 die system instead.....

One suggestion. At target you can get a small low voltage "college" clip on halogen reading amp. I have one climped on to the back of my 2000 so that the bulb is aiming down into the case from the back about 3" from the case when the unit is at rest. It gives me great light into the case so I can visually check the charge prior to seating the bullet. This is the biggest improvement to my setup.
Old November 27, 2002, 03:01 AM   #5
mellow

Great idea Peter, if and when I get the pro 2000, I'll do exactly that